Home for a year and a day

Old Mar 21st 2010, 12:22 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice
Default Re: Home for a year and a day

Originally Posted by crap coffee
I am far too from a stalker thing.

believe it or not,,,, he cotacted me first....surprisingly It was _him_. not me. because, he was touched by me/my words..deeply... Otherwise he wouldn't bother giving me an attention (he IS a busy man). I used to be a musician/critic so I know what to talk or how to deal with. I am not that crazy as you think. Just adore him.
No i don't think you are crazy lol...maybe a little obsesessed

By the way, i hate crap coffee too. I prefer Chai
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 4:58 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kevin747
If you can hold on to a decent house in the Uk do it? Then go for it. You'll never know.
I was glad to get out of Australia but i plan to return for a travelling holiday at some point.
It helps if you have a decent profession that can at least assure an income on your return.
There are lots of people out there who have burned their bridges and can't return without hardship.
As nu-shooz said the TV programmes are just eye candy and don't bear resemblance to living in Aus.
exellent advice, please take it, we decided we couldnt afford to do the whole oz thing unless we sold our house, wish we had borrowed against it
I also thought my husband was paid such a crap wage it couldnt get any more crap in oz oh how wrong one can be he has a slightly better wage , but the cost of living compared to scotland is a massive leap
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

uklass is on a distinguished road

Thanks Kev & Margaret, given me food for thought.

I'm 33 so feeling like time isn't on my side.

I don't have a home & basically its deciding whether to use my savings as a deposit for somewhere here or risk losing them all on visa & initial settling in costs in oz.

I loved living in Darwin 4 years ago & have been back to visit since but I know theres a huge difference to being somewhere travelling round & living there for a longer period of time.

Guess just don't want to have los of regrets years down the line & wish I had taken the opportunity...
If I come back after a year or so skint & needing to start saving again, will I be glad of the experience anyway?!
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 3:22 am
Forum Regular

wingandapray is an unknown quantity at this point

I returned from Australia one year ago yesterday.
My situation may or not be atypical but I'll share some of my thoughts with you.
I was always fascinated by Australia since I was a child at school.It was tha vibrant colours,bizarre and venumous creatures,Rolf Harris and skippy.
I made it an ambition of mine to emigrate and live there one day.
We made it to Victoria and settled as my wife had family there after having toured NSW ,SA and Victoria.
My problem was partly that I lived in a beautiful wee village in the West of Scotland for 16 years prior to migration.
It didn't take me long to become homesick,that subsided and I was left to coldly compare what I had at home and what I had in Australia.
In Oz I made some graet friends ,an Irishman and a Sydney guy,both were married to Victorians.
I really miss some of the good times drinking,playing music and occasionally arguing about sport.
Australia was the kick up the arse I needed in life to help me realise what a great life I had back home. I'm not saying the UK is perfect as the economy is in a mess, as it is in most countries.
I miss the birds and some ocean views but believe me it was never as good as the sights in my native Scotland. I have also come to realise that the other countries of the UK,Ireland and Europe are also vastly superior to Oz.
I fully expect a reply from a statistically obsessed Godzoner to furnish me with the Boredom Index showing how great Oz is but I know different.
I find it amusing to read some of the idiots who delude themselves by dropping in a little materialistic boast about there house or car.I know many are sadly stuck in Aus and some who have escaped a shitty town or city in Britain.
I'm writing this as I had a cartilage operation two days ago and I' on the couch with my feet up,my kids are happier,my wife and I are paid a lot more for fewer hours than in Aus,we have had a beautiful cold,dry winter and spring is round the corner.
Australians are bigger whingers than the English that they accuse.
Me? I am not the complaining guy I used to be.
I feel blessed to be home .
If any of you Godzoners fancy a ruck! I'm yer man
I absolutely agree-I am going to do something about it-I am collecting a DVD and I will blow the lid on the real Australia and I am not taking about those awful funeral ads that keep being shown here-Arrogant and ignorant-its about time the British knew the truth-showing stupid programs such as "Dilarious down under" does NOT help-Australia is also known as "The Fortress". Can u believe programs such "Border Security" and "Airways"?-So rude-Unbelievable the aggression-compare this to Airport show in the USA-IF u want support read Pommie Bastard's threads if u can find them or him-where are u PB? we need to be saved-Look up in the sky: its a beer can, its a footy, no its SuperPB-please post!!!
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 3:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by brits1
Very well written (that cartilage op most of worked wonders..lol...kidding) serously I though from your outluck you posted a very unbiased view of your life before and after so to speak...I certainly can say the same for us and we have not moved yet...end of April for us and I now cannot wait (stress last few weeks got to me but well over that now...thank the gods) would love to write a thread like yours in a year and a day....and hopefully I will.....great news and so glad you and your family have settled again...must admit Aus certainly seems to have changed my Oh and myself so cannot wait to "get back to normal"...take care and hope your soon back on your feet. Thanks
Changed for the worst-Its out of control-what about Australia day-no one cares why do they persist! Have a look at Parliament and see what "leadership" in this country is really like!That speaker is a zombie-actually australia is the Borg and they want to assimilate us-As Prisoner states"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered or talk relentlessly about footy!" I am not a number I am a free Englishman.

I will NEVER yield.....
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 3:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Yeah that's why I am heading back to Oz, where none of the above is true.

No chavs, scum, hoodies, drugs, murders or any crimes in Australia exist don't cha know. Everybody lives in MASSIVE houses overlooking the Pacific Ocean sitting on their balcony looking at their 4 cars in the driveway and their boat tied up at their own jetty etc.

Yes, it's just full of beautiful people living in a perfect paradise.
But people in the UK actually believe that!! They think Australia is some sort of utopia where everyone lives on the beach, is laid back, saying "gooda mate", and EVERYTHING IS EASY-we have found NO work(teachers), interest rates going up and property increasing (like the UK in 2006) The young people here graffiti, swear (all the time) as normal conversation, are stupid (lower educated), drink, rude, cant even speak properly( Australia is known as straya, better/smarter is bedder and smarder-highest youth suicide in the world as the TV is SO depressing not like the BBC-plus there is no community, no canals and no water.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 3:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by crap coffee
reading your posts, makes me *****ing SAD!!!!!!!!!!!!all I want to do now is just SCREECH.!! Everything you said is makes bloody sense........I just wanna move to the Britain..That's about it.

what I do in my spare time is .. always reading someone else's blogs... people who live in the UK...read their happy stories, look at the beautiful pics of countryside......................that only makes me sad sad sad sad...

why oh why? I am not interested in anything to do with Kiwi things... To me, Britain looks only beautiful - Green everywhere. I just feel my life is dead here..........nz.

If I was young, I would probably change my career and move to the UK. can't believe how come/WHY I've been stuck here ... for half of my life?? can't even believe that..

my life is hopeless here I can tell. I made lots of effort to change during that time, but it didn't work out. That is. I've got no motivation whatsoever. shite. just go and fall into the Wellington harbour tonight.

and I MISS TERRY HALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Look try to get out-try re educating-I am going to do the PGCE-plan and go dont stay-I think we have all left it TOO long-If you are in good health-do !!!
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 4:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by joe38
i have been back in the uk for over 2 years ,life is just as hard has Australia ,job situations in oz were crap ,now the uk is the same ,i do miss the layback life we had in oz ,i would love to go back but i think only for a holiday ,the thought of moving again but at least we have family here in the uk ,which really helps
Yeah its not easy is it....yes ONLY a holiday-
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 4:07 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by uklass
To the people who have moved back from oz, would you do it all again?

I mean is the experience worth it, you've followed your dream and now you realise what you had so you've come back & appreciate it all the more?

Its pretty much decision time for me for applying for oz visa, its been a 4 year dream and I've umm -ed and ahh -ed for the last year as serious doubts have crept in. I lived in Thailand for a year a few years ago and remember how happy I was to get home after that..but oz had aslways been the dream - is it best to go & if I come back at least I'm wiser for it than if I'd neber goen at all?
I really would think of elsewhere, especially if u are really British.-they dont want us. U have to slap the aussies (moppies as I call them ) on the back and crawl arse-if u dare oppose them then the dream will become the nightmare. Once a Pom always a Pom and they will let u know exactly how prejudice they are. I would look at Europe-its closer anyway.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

kevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wingandapray
I really would think of elsewhere, especially if u are really British.-they dont want us. U have to slap the aussies (moppies as I call them ) on the back and crawl arse-if u dare oppose them then the dream will become the nightmare. Once a Pom always a Pom and they will let u know exactly how prejudice they are. I would look at Europe-its closer anyway.
There was no way I wanted my youngest child to be Australian. I also did not want to pay them my taxes.
I did notice that many were hostile to British people. I have not experienced that when I have worked with Aussies in the UK.
I often felt that if they felt threatened they would close ranks.
Oh! I've never seen a bigger bunch of arse kisssers in my life.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 8:41 am
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya Kev,

Good to hear from you. It was a year last month that we came back from Melbourne. It's been a good year!

We landed on our feet by finding a house to buy only 3 months after returning. It had been on the market a year and we got it much lower than it was advertised for. Needed a lot of updating but we've got a wee cracker now that's almost finished. Worth every penny.

Like you say, work is better too as I don't work half the hours I had to out in Oz. I get paid more money too and it's waaaaay more enjoyable!
My lifestyle is actually far better than what it was "meant" to be out in Oz. I was so bored doing the same things every day out there. I'd go into the mall for some variety and see the same faces every day. It was a monotonous life out there.
Only thing I really miss is the sunshine ( but NOT the extreme heat ) and my gym class!! Ha.

But, Spring is here in York and the place is gorgeous.
Absolutely no regrets about returning. It was the right thing to do.

BTW, We were both in good professions out there but we couldn't afford to buy where we wanted to stay. Or rather we could afford to buy - but it'd have been a sh*tty little "unit" that was still done up in 70's style, needing loads of money spent on it and crammed in next to 8 other "units".
If we had bought we'd have been in over our heads with a mortgage and totally trapped, even moreso than how we felt.

Like you, I wouldn't mind going back for a holiday, but I have a lovely life here now and no ammount of sunshine and cafes will change how good it feels to be back here.

Be well again soon now you've had your op.( thank G for our amazing NHS!!!! )
x
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

There was no way I wanted my youngest child to be Australian. I also did not want to pay them my taxes.
I did notice that many were hostile to British people. I have not experienced that when I have worked with Aussies in the UK.
I often felt that if they felt threatened they would close ranks.
Oh! I've never seen a bigger bunch of arse kisssers in my life.
I am glad you are doing OK-It was bad enough I had too endure this at 13-Now my children, no way-Once you take the Borg out of the collective
SEE:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borg_%28Star_Trek%29

they revert back to their normal species-so it doesn't surprise me in the least that Australians are better outside Australia-there is a collective stupidity here that reinforces itself in an never ending cycle of footy, beer, hotted up cars and mate mate that is cylindrical as a Borg sphere.....
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

kevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by onepearlyb
Hiya Kev,

Good to hear from you. It was a year last month that we came back from Melbourne. It's been a good year!

We landed on our feet by finding a house to buy only 3 months after returning. It had been on the market a year and we got it much lower than it was advertised for. Needed a lot of updating but we've got a wee cracker now that's almost finished. Worth every penny.

Like you say, work is better too as I don't work half the hours I had to out in Oz. I get paid more money too and it's waaaaay more enjoyable!
My lifestyle is actually far better than what it was "meant" to be out in Oz. I was so bored doing the same things every day out there. I'd go into the mall for some variety and see the same faces every day. It was a monotonous life out there.
Only thing I really miss is the sunshine ( but NOT the extreme heat ) and my gym class!! Ha.

But, Spring is here in York and the place is gorgeous.
Absolutely no regrets about returning. It was the right thing to do.

BTW, We were both in good professions out there but we couldn't afford to buy where we wanted to stay. Or rather we could afford to buy - but it'd have been a sh*tty little "unit" that was still done up in 70's style, needing loads of money spent on it and crammed in next to 8 other "units".
If we had bought we'd have been in over our heads with a mortgage and totally trapped, even moreso than how we felt.

Like you, I wouldn't mind going back for a holiday, but I have a lovely life here now and no ammount of sunshine and cafes will change how good it feels to be back here.

Be well again soon now you've had your op.( thank G for our amazing NHS!!!! )
x
Great to hear that you are doing well.The quality of life is better in the UK.
One of my mates in Oz returned after 8 months and advised me against ortopaedic surgery stating that it was inferior in Aus.

Best wishes
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 1:41 pm
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute

I used to work in the operating theatres here in the UK and saw some of the best orthopaedic surgeons work some real magic! We've got MAJOR trauma surgeons here in the Uk who attend conferences in Europe every year to pick up new equipment and techniques to bring back to the Uk. Waiting times have reduced here substantially, and I think that for a service that's over used and under budgeted for - we do pritty well here in the Uk as patients and staff.
Gimme the NHS over Medicare any day!
Although I had good specialists in oz, I had to pay for EVERYTHING. If your anything other than in great health in Oz - prepare to pay!!
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by onepearlyb
I used to work in the operating theatres here in the UK and saw some of the best orthopaedic surgeons work some real magic! We've got MAJOR trauma surgeons here in the Uk who attend conferences in Europe every year to pick up new equipment and techniques to bring back to the Uk. Waiting times have reduced here substantially, and I think that for a service that's over used and under budgeted for - we do pritty well here in the Uk as patients and staff.
Gimme the NHS over Medicare any day!
Although I had good specialists in oz, I had to pay for EVERYTHING. If your anything other than in great health in Oz - prepare to pay!!
Yes the NHS is good as they repaired my arm pretty well in 2006 for my circular saw accident. Mt Vernon in Middlesex plus x2 ambulances.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.