British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Home for a year and a day (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/home-year-day-659031/)

kevin747 Mar 12th 2010 10:46 am

Home for a year and a day

I returned from Australia one year ago yesterday.
My situation may or not be atypical but I'll share some of my thoughts with you.
I was always fascinated by Australia since I was a child at school.It was tha vibrant colours,bizarre and venumous creatures,Rolf Harris and skippy.
I made it an ambition of mine to emigrate and live there one day.
We made it to Victoria and settled as my wife had family there after having toured NSW ,SA and Victoria.
My problem was partly that I lived in a beautiful wee village in the West of Scotland for 16 years prior to migration.
It didn't take me long to become homesick,that subsided and I was left to coldly compare what I had at home and what I had in Australia.
In Oz I made some graet friends ,an Irishman and a Sydney guy,both were married to Victorians.
I really miss some of the good times drinking,playing music and occasionally arguing about sport.
Australia was the kick up the arse I needed in life to help me realise what a great life I had back home. I'm not saying the UK is perfect as the economy is in a mess, as it is in most countries.
I miss the birds and some ocean views but believe me it was never as good as the sights in my native Scotland. I have also come to realise that the other countries of the UK,Ireland and Europe are also vastly superior to Oz.
I fully expect a reply from a statistically obsessed Godzoner to furnish me with the Boredom Index showing how great Oz is but I know different.
I find it amusing to read some of the idiots who delude themselves by dropping in a little materialistic boast about there house or car.I know many are sadly stuck in Aus and some who have escaped a shitty town or city in Britain.
I'm writing this as I had a cartilage operation two days ago and I' on the couch with my feet up,my kids are happier,my wife and I are paid a lot more for fewer hours than in Aus,we have had a beautiful cold,dry winter and spring is round the corner.
Australians are bigger whingers than the English that they accuse.
Me? I am not the complaining guy I used to be.
I feel blessed to be home .
If any of you Godzoners fancy a ruck! I'm yer man

Mummy in the foothills Mar 12th 2010 2:21 pm

Re: Home for a year and a day

Good to know you are settling in nicely :thumbsup:

quoll Mar 12th 2010 3:59 pm

Wow, a year already?! Time flies when you are having fun.

Hope the knee recovery goes well too.

I agree with you though - I have only been home since mid Feb on holiday and have seen so much more "life" and variety than I get in a year in Aus - boredom central - and I shall be bawling my eyes out this time next week when they drag me kicking onto the plane. Views, nature, history, people, buzz, UK has it all IMHO.

Nu-Shooz Mar 12th 2010 4:14 pm

I've been home just over a year now. As they say 'time flies by when you're having fun'...bloody true !!
I felt dead in Perth, almost Zombified:lol: i just woke up one day and thought 'F**k this' hahaha.
Good on ya Kev:thumbsup:

Fleaflyfloflum Mar 12th 2010 4:18 pm

Hi Kevin

We will have been back 1yr next month and i feel exactly the same as you. Best thing we ever did coming home. In fact, unlike some people his career has taken a huge leap as well as his pay packet!! :thumbsup:

Glad you are still enjoying it.

Adelia Mar 12th 2010 9:20 pm

We also returned from Australia about a year ago and so glad we did. So much variety in a small area. Lovely walks in the country without feeling uncomfortably hot. Beautiful scenery!

Adelia

Originally Posted by kevin747 (Post 8415027)
My situation may or not be atypical but I'll share some of my thoughts with you.
I was always fascinated by Australia since I was a child at school.It was tha vibrant colours,bizarre and venumous creatures,Rolf Harris and skippy.
We made it to Victoria and settled as my wife had family there after having toured NSW ,SA and Victoria.
My problem was partly that I lived in a beautiful wee village in the West of Scotland for 16 years prior to migration.
It didn't take me long to become homesick,that subsided and I was left to coldly compare what I had at home and what I had in Australia.
In Oz I made some graet friends ,an Irishman and a Sydney guy,both were married to Victorians.
I really miss some of the good times drinking,playing music and occasionally arguing about sport.
Australia was the kick up the arse I needed in life to help me realise what a great life I had back home. I'm not saying the UK is perfect as the economy is in a mess, as it is in most countries.
I miss the birds and some ocean views but believe me it was never as good as the sights in my native Scotland. I have also come to realise that the other countries of the UK,Ireland and Europe are also vastly superior to Oz.
I fully expect a reply from a statistically obsessed Godzoner to furnish me with the Boredom Index showing how great Oz is but I know different.
I find it amusing to read some of the idiots who delude themselves by dropping in a little materialistic boast about there house or car.I know many are sadly stuck in Aus and some who have escaped a shitty town or city in Britain.
I'm writing this as I had a cartilage operation two days ago and I' on the couch with my feet up,my kids are happier,my wife and I are paid a lot more for fewer hours than in Aus,we have had a beautiful cold,dry winter and spring is round the corner.

brits1 Mar 13th 2010 4:24 am

Very well written (that cartilage op most of worked wonders..lol...kidding) serously I though from your outluck you posted a very unbiased view of your life before and after so to speak...I certainly can say the same for us and we have not moved yet...end of April for us and I now cannot wait (stress last few weeks got to me but well over that now...thank the gods) would love to write a thread like yours in a year and a day....and hopefully I will.....great news and so glad you and your family have settled again...must admit Aus certainly seems to have changed my Oh and myself so cannot wait to "get back to normal"...take care and hope your soon back on your feet. Thanks

theyoungs Mar 13th 2010 7:06 am

:thumbsup: We are coming up to twelve months being back home and I remember around this time last year following your last posts before leaving Oz. We were all counting down our days.

I am very pleased to hear that you and your family are settled.

Being an expat has been one of the most difficult experiences I have endured but it has taught me so much.

The UK is a wonderful country I just wish that more people realised that :(

All the best for the future :D

pcmaccallum Mar 14th 2010 3:37 pm

Great to hear your experience you have just said it how it is for you and your family an unbiased view of your experience. It doesn't matter what you own if you are not happy. I think that is the one thing i wish people would realise then they would have such a better view on life. Any way that is just my own opinion and yours i think.
Good luck to you and your family. :thumbsup:

king kong Mar 15th 2010 8:51 pm

i know exactly where yer coming from , home is home and im glad to be back in it . Good luck to you

kevin747 Mar 15th 2010 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by king kong (Post 8422142)
i know exactly where yer coming from , home is home and im glad to be back in it . Good luck to you

Hope you are enjoying being home. Good luck

midgetjan Mar 15th 2010 11:43 pm

Just been back in bonnie Scotland for almost 4 months but already feel settled and enjoying the first bursts of spring and the snowdrops.

Perth was an adventure I'll always be grateful for as it made me appreciate home.

Here's to all us brave people who had the balls to try it and the sense to see it for what it is (just something different, not always something better).

brits1 Mar 16th 2010 1:02 am

Originally Posted by midgetjan (Post 8422536)
Just been back in bonnie Scotland for almost 4 months but already feel settled and enjoying the first bursts of spring and the snowdrops.

Perth was an adventure I'll always be grateful for as it made me appreciate home.

Here's to all us brave people who had the balls to try it and the sense to see it for what it is (just something different, not always something better).

Hi J. glad to hear things are going well.....we just had quotes in from the shipping companies....coming in on the 12th April...I knew it would be stressful reading other threads from people at this stage but ruddy ell...it's hard....lol...my beauty sleep is taking a bashing....hopefully all will go well and just wanting it to be all over now..lol....so thanks for the update....did you use Kents?....so far the best quote has been from Chess..just waiting on Kents quote which should arrive today...then decision time...good luck and hope you have a lovely spring in Bonnie Scotland.....

Merseygirl Mar 17th 2010 10:33 am

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum (Post 8415754)
Hi Kevin

We will have been back 1yr next month and i feel exactly the same as you. Best thing we ever did coming home. In fact, unlike some people his career has taken a huge leap as well as his pay packet!! :thumbsup:

Glad you are still enjoying it.

Wow FFF, it has nearly been 1 yr? That has flown by! Glad you are still happy in UK. It truly is a great country in many ways.

PS. Still miss your rants about Oz...:D

TraceyW Mar 17th 2010 7:49 pm

Aw c'mon man....how can you possibly be loving your life back here in the Uk? Don't you know it's a crap hole, gone to the dogs, full of chavs and scum and that you have every chance of being brutally murdered by some hoodie clad yobbo (who is obviously unemployed and crack addicted) each time you venture out of the front door of your 'can't swing a cat in it' house?:rofl::rofl:

Dontcha just love being home? :wub: Glad it's working out well x