Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Home is where the birds sing!

Home is where the birds sing!

Old Jun 30th 2011, 8:34 pm
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold
Default Home is where the birds sing!

And that's not the drunk ones in Manchester city centre on a Friday night! Truly it's lovely to hear the dawn chorus again. I'd forgotten how vocal British birds were. (cue for a joke).

So, all is well. I am still in post as a teacher. I miss my baby girl but LOVE My job. I work in an all girls school and it is truly wonderful. The kids have so much personality. The staff are fabulous and it is an exciting place to work. It took me less than eight weeks to secure the position so I was lucky. I'm hoping it will become permanent. Let's see how an all girl production of Grease goes this week! I've made really good friends at work already and I get them and they seem to get me. Oh thank god!

My Canadian husband soldiers on. He's been in India training for a week and that has been very fruitful professionally and amazing for him as a person. He'd never travelled to anywhere like that before and he loved it. He's seen what opportunities the UK can bring in terms of travel and work. He's close to getting a job (I hope) and then we may be able to move from my poor, suffering Mum's and find a place of our own.

So, things are truly very good. There have been a few dark days but I've never wanted to go back to Canada. So many said, 'I give you three years' or 'You'll be back'. Maybe we will but I truly doubt it...... We've done so much seen we've been back. India, Cornwall (stunning), Derbyshire's Chatsworth House, Buxton Palace Hotel, Lyme Park (twice), Leicestershire, Bristol.....and more.....fantastic. I love the UK and want a caravan to see more.

Things that have got me down - nothing really worth mentioning!

I hope this provides a little reassurance to those that just can't settle. Life is truly fun again. Yeah.
Old Jun 30th 2011, 8:36 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home is where the birds sing!

Time to change that profile location

Glad its going well. Fingers crossed for the future!
Old Jul 1st 2011, 1:52 am
Forum Regular

Wawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really nice

Originally Posted by lilybilly101
And that's not the drunk ones in Manchester city centre on a Friday night! Truly it's lovely to hear the dawn chorus again. I'd forgotten how vocal British birds were. (cue for a joke).

So, all is well. I am still in post as a teacher. I miss my baby girl but LOVE My job. I work in an all girls school and it is truly wonderful. The kids have so much personality. The staff are fabulous and it is an exciting place to work. It took me less than eight weeks to secure the position so I was lucky. I'm hoping it will become permanent. Let's see how an all girl production of Grease goes this week! I've made really good friends at work already and I get them and they seem to get me. Oh thank god!

My Canadian husband soldiers on. He's been in India training for a week and that has been very fruitful professionally and amazing for him as a person. He'd never travelled to anywhere like that before and he loved it. He's seen what opportunities the UK can bring in terms of travel and work. He's close to getting a job (I hope) and then we may be able to move from my poor, suffering Mum's and find a place of our own.

So, things are truly very good. There have been a few dark days but I've never wanted to go back to Canada. So many said, 'I give you three years' or 'You'll be back'. Maybe we will but I truly doubt it...... We've done so much seen we've been back. India, Cornwall (stunning), Derbyshire's Chatsworth House, Buxton Palace Hotel, Lyme Park (twice), Leicestershire, Bristol.....and more.....fantastic. I love the UK and want a caravan to see more.

I hope this provides a little reassurance to those that just can't settle. Life is truly fun again. Yeah.
Great post lillybilly101- good to hear how you are getting on after your departure from Canada and holiday before arriving in the UK. I recall your posts regarding your job and how dissatisfied you were. Congrats on making it work. I hope your Canadian hubby settles well. Seems like you have done the right thing - you sound so content now. It does help to be happy at work, since you spend so much time there - it could make or break a situation.

Tomorrow is Canada Day, just thought I would remind you!
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 12:59 am
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Good to hear from you Lillybilly! So glad the job is working okay too.
good luck and thanks for letting us know how you are!
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 1:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Merseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lilybilly101

One of the things I miss about Britain is the dawn chorus of birds, it is truly lovely to listen to. Here in Australia you just get tuneless noise from most of the birds.
Glad to hear you are settling back into life in Britain.
I will be visiting the UK in September with my Canadian partner who has never been to Europe - I hope he enjoys it.
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 4:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

Congrats on your move and job. Glad to hear things are working out for you. Look forward to hearing more
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 9:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Merseygirl
One of the things I miss about Britain is the dawn chorus of birds, it is truly lovely to listen to. Here in Australia you just get tuneless noise from most of the birds.
I will be visiting the UK in September with my Canadian partner who has never been to Europe - I hope he enjoys it.
I'm listening to a chorus of singing birds this morning here in Brisbane. Must be a South Australia thing.

Don't get me started on the shrieking parrots though.
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 3:44 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

The dawn chorus is one of the things my wife misses, we certainly dont get anything like it where we are in Brisbane. A few magpies maybe but that's it and yes the shrieking of the parrots.
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 7:55 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Great to hear from you Lillybilly, I am so happy it is working out well for you.

I am going well too and will do an update in due course, but I would like to second your post about the dawn chorus, it really is heavenly to wake up to after years of squawking cockatoo's and other parrots, I just love the gentleness of this country.

I haven't seen as much as you unfortunately but I have been to Buxton, The Wirral, all around south Cheshire where I now live, Quarry Bank Mill at Styal a few weeks back and I am going to Dunham Massey today, oh and I went to Belgium for a work thing the other week, 1 1/2 hours from Brussels to Manchester, I must say I was pretty amazed at that after living in Australia for so many years and being sooooo far from all other countries and even other states within Australia.

Last edited by Beedubya; Jul 3rd 2011 at 7:58 am.
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 7:56 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
The dawn chorus is one of the things my wife misses, we certainly dont get anything like it where we are in Brisbane. A few magpies maybe but that's it and yes the shrieking of the parrots.
I've got a flock of rosellas that live in the back garden, not too bad for shrieking but they are terrible bullies. Any food i put out they stand guard over even if they don't want it and they peck the other birds if they dare to come near it, nasty creatures!!
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 6:01 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I had forgotten about that dawn chorus till we stayed at my Mums when it was so warm, the windows were open all night and we woke to the birds singing, followed by the seagulls kicking up a fuss, then it would go all quiet again for a couple of hours so I'd go back to sleep
Sounds like you are settling in well.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 5:00 am
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by iaink
Time to change that profile location

Glad its going well. Fingers crossed for the future!
Very good point! How do I do that?
Old Jul 5th 2011, 5:01 am
Lost in Space

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I had forgotten about that dawn chorus till we stayed at my Mums when it was so warm, the windows were open all night and we woke to the birds singing, followed by the seagulls kicking up a fuss, then it would go all quiet again for a couple of hours so I'd go back to sleep
Sounds like you are settling in well.
Wood pigeons are very loud too as well as the Canadian geese and the sheep! We're settling in just great......at least I am. My husband has his 'moments'!
Old Jul 5th 2011, 5:02 am
Lost in Space

Originally Posted by Merseygirl
He'll love it. We went to Chatsworth house recently in Derbyshire and my husband is rarely wowed by anything. He almost fell over at the beauty and the history. He even got The Duchess out to watch as it is filmed there. Take your hubby somewhere spectacular like that!
Old Jul 5th 2011, 5:06 am
Lost in Space

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Great to hear from you Lillybilly, I am so happy it is working out well for you.

I am going well too and will do an update in due course, but I would like to second your post about the dawn chorus, it really is heavenly to wake up to after years of squawking cockatoo's and other parrots, I just love the gentleness of this country.

I haven't seen as much as you unfortunately but I have been to Buxton, The Wirral, all around south Cheshire where I now live, Quarry Bank Mill at Styal a few weeks back and I am going to Dunham Massey today, oh and I went to Belgium for a work thing the other week, 1 1/2 hours from Brussels to Manchester, I must say I was pretty amazed at that after living in Australia for so many years and being sooooo far from all other countries and even other states within Australia.
I've not been on here for so long, it's great to here from you too. Please do an update so I can catch up. How's the job? Where are you living? I love Buxton. We had a lovely night there recently at he Palace Hotel. And the weather is fantastic eh? Delighted you are working and finally found your feet in Blighty. x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.