Home Time

Old Jun 22nd 2021, 4:32 am
Frequent Lurker...

thelikelylad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Home Time

Hey folks,

So it's been about 6 years since I posted my excitement about coming to Canada, but the shine's off the apple. I miss Scotland. I don't go a day without thinking of it, usually multiple times a day. Probably exacerbated by Covid restrictions, but I have been toying with this for about 18 months now and I think I'm made up on it. So I have some questions for those that have made the move...

I never bought a house over here, I only ever rented so I don't have too much to sort out in terms of assets and I don't plan to take too much back with me. Probably just a couple boxes worth so it's not worth a shipping container. Can anyone recommend how they did this? Did they still use an international shipping company or did they just basically FedEx it to a UK address?

Second question is can anyone recommend a pet travel company? I have been in contact with a few and Worldwide Animal Travel have seemed very responsive. If anyone's had any experience with them I'd love to hear about it.

Thirdly what did you do for accommodation on returning home? I have a little savings but no job lined up yet so I won't be able to buy somewhere and with no job private rental is almost out the question as well unless I want to dump all my savings on paying months up front. Social rental won't be much better I'd imagine.

Bonus question for anyone who's completed the move back, what's some things you didn't think about beforehand that you wish you'd planned for in advance?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 22nd 2021, 4:47 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home Time

We returned from Australia in 2016.

For boxes have a look at Movecube we found a small one excellent.

We used Dogtainers for the furry one but don't know if they operate in Canada.

For accommodation, I had a job lined up, so that made it easier and we just booked a couple of weeks in a Airbnb. There would be no harm in applying for jobs now and some sectors are desperate for staff.
Old Jun 22nd 2021, 7:36 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thelikelylad
Hey folks,

So it's been about 6 years since I posted my excitement about coming to Canada, but the shine's off the apple. I miss Scotland. I don't go a day without thinking of it, usually multiple times a day. Probably exacerbated by Covid restrictions, but I have been toying with this for about 18 months now and I think I'm made up on it. So I have some questions for those that have made the move...

I never bought a house over here, I only ever rented so I don't have too much to sort out in terms of assets and I don't plan to take too much back with me. Probably just a couple boxes worth so it's not worth a shipping container. Can anyone recommend how they did this? Did they still use an international shipping company or did they just basically FedEx it to a UK address?

Second question is can anyone recommend a pet travel company? I have been in contact with a few and Worldwide Animal Travel have seemed very responsive. If anyone's had any experience with them I'd love to hear about it.

Thirdly what did you do for accommodation on returning home? I have a little savings but no job lined up yet so I won't be able to buy somewhere and with no job private rental is almost out the question as well unless I want to dump all my savings on paying months up front. Social rental won't be much better I'd imagine.

Bonus question for anyone who's completed the move back, what's some things you didn't think about beforehand that you wish you'd planned for in advance?

Thanks in advance!
Have a look on Indeed for work you can apply from Canada and see what happens, what is your line of work? Sorry cannot help with a nice from Canada (we moved back from Australia) but might be able to help a little bit more (with job websites) and which area of Scotland are you thinking of returning to that may help with accomodation. Good luck with everything
Old Jun 22nd 2021, 11:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

getoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond repute

We are using Pet Smart for a Cat to be shipped back from BC to the UK. Not cheap though. Roughly about $4k. I think others have used these guys for around $2k

https://www.animaltravel.com/