Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Home for a Holiday-Currency exchange.

Wikiposts

Home for a Holiday-Currency exchange.

Old Aug 4th 2008, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Home for a Holiday-Currency exchange.

I would like to ask a question of those of you going home for a holiday. We are due to leave in 3 weeks for our trip to England and are wondering the best way to convert are US dollars. Should we do it before we leave, get travellers cheques or take dollars with us and exchange when we get to the UK or use our debit card. Any ideas would be helpful.

By the way after getting our new window installed ready to put the house up for sale again we came up against another problem. The new carpet we had installed 2 years ago was suppose to have a damp-proof underfelt. Turns out they didnt install the correct underfelt. We would never have found out if we had not had to lift the carpet before we had the new window installed. My OH says I should have stood over the carpet layers and made sure they put the right stuff down. Now waiting to hear from the Store we bought it from. Suppose to call today but didnt.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 4:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home for a Holiday-Currency exchange.

Not sure of the best way to do the exchange however, take plenty with you! Just returned from two weeks in the UK...costly to say the least! Could not afford to move back to Scotland even if I wanted too...
Old Aug 4th 2008, 4:57 pm
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
I would like to ask a question of those of you going home for a holiday. We are due to leave in 3 weeks for our trip to England and are wondering the best way to convert are US dollars. Should we do it before we leave, get travellers cheques or take dollars with us and exchange when we get to the UK or use our debit card. Any ideas would be helpful.

By the way after getting our new window installed ready to put the house up for sale again we came up against another problem. The new carpet we had installed 2 years ago was suppose to have a damp-proof underfelt. Turns out they didnt install the correct underfelt. We would never have found out if we had not had to lift the carpet before we had the new window installed. My OH says I should have stood over the carpet layers and made sure they put the right stuff down. Now waiting to hear from the Store we bought it from. Suppose to call today but didnt.
We use AMEX or Visa. Amex give us the best rate+ a bit of cash just in case. We still have a GBP account as well so as a standby we can access that.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 6:03 am
Pamela 1

Pamela 1 has a spectacular aura aboutPamela 1 has a spectacular aura aboutPamela 1 has a spectacular aura about

If you take travellers cheques and change them at the bank in UK you will be charged about $3.00 I think it is. You can change them free of charge at a Marks and Spencers where they now have Currency Exchange booths also you should be able to change them at the P.O. free of charge, but ask them first since one P.O. I went in to wanted to charge, yet another said it was free.

We only took $150 in Trav. cheques and could have used our debit card at a charge of about $3.00 a time, but in fact we took it all in cash and that worked for us. Only used debit card for car rental.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 6:07 am
Pamela 1

Pamela 1 has a spectacular aura aboutPamela 1 has a spectacular aura aboutPamela 1 has a spectacular aura about

Just read yours again. We took sterling cash not dollars, but guess it doesn't matter. We tried getting cash while in Florida and they have to order it etc, etc. So we waited until we got back to Ontario and just went to the bank and got it there and then, they always have it on hand.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 7:52 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Thankyou for your help I think we will take some of each. We already paid for the car upfront. Like the idea of changing my money at M & S. Not sure OH will
Old Aug 6th 2008, 7:56 am
around

w1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud of

HI I dont know if this will help you i use this company all the time .

www.no1currency.com

so if it near where your staying in england they have best rates.