Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Home Fees eligibility for British expat moving to the UK for education

Home Fees eligibility for British expat moving to the UK for education

Old Mar 10th 2016, 11:40 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home Fees eligibility for British expat moving to the UK for education

I wanted to add that I wouldn't be so dead set on a UK university either. Both OH and I were educated in the UK but we've lived outside the UK for a long time and seen the pros and cons of UK education. If the fees are a big issue then seriously consider the EU universities that teach in English - some are better than the UK ones and since your daughter is used to being around an international crowd then she might prefer a more international EU university. That way, she could do an IB perhaps at her international school and stay with you for a few more years.
Old Mar 11th 2016, 7:57 am
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home Fees eligibility for British expat moving to the UK for education

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise View Post
Also, if your work visa in SE Asia is a temporary non-immigrant one then you may qualify for being ordinary resident in the UK. I know of someone who lived in South Africa for most of his children's lives but was always on revolving 2 year contracts with the company he worked for and so qualified as ordinary resident.
It is the daughter, not the father, who needs to be Ordinarily Resident in the UK. In any case, the father (the OP) has not been resident in the UK for 22 years and will not be classed as Ordinarily Resident.
Old Mar 11th 2016, 8:00 am
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thailandbill View Post
A couple of questions:

1. My wife is Singaporean - would my daughter be considered as resident if only my wife goes with her to the UK?
You would need to consider if your wife has the right to reside in the UK.

2. My company could provide me with a letter that states that I need to remain in SE Asia for work and therefore I cannot return to the UK. Would that be acceptable or do both parents need to return?
No. A letter like this would carry no relevance.

3. After two years of A levels I guess my daughter could take a gap year and remain in the UK to work (and pay tax). Would that be enough for the three year residency requirement?

Yes (and no need to pay tax).
Old Mar 11th 2016, 8:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise View Post
I wanted to add that I wouldn't be so dead set on a UK university either. Both OH and I were educated in the UK but we've lived outside the UK for a long time and seen the pros and cons of UK education. If the fees are a big issue then seriously consider the EU universities that teach in English - some are better than the UK ones and since your daughter is used to being around an international crowd then she might prefer a more international EU university. That way, she could do an IB perhaps at her international school and stay with you for a few more years.
This seems like the best option. The trend towards students attending university in mainland Europe is growing, and as the daughter will not be attending university for four years, it is likely by then to be even more commonplace.
Old Mar 11th 2016, 11:02 pm
Firetrak

ldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond repute

I just yesterday, that right now UK universities are getting closer to the same cost as US state colleges £9000 vs $13,500avg. And with UK universities supposedly about to be given increased tuition charging abilities it could actually be more.
Old Mar 12th 2016, 5:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks for your reply.
You raise a couple of interesting ideas.
Her Aunt could certainly become her legal Guardian while in the UK, if allowed? ...
Thanks again.
I believe that works.
It does rule out boarding school though. To be convincing she would have to live with her legal guardian during term-time and go to a local day school.
Ideal if the aunt already lives in Scotland. But most likely she does not and is not willing to move.
Old Mar 12th 2016, 5:13 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldollard View Post
I just yesterday, that right now UK universities are getting closer to the same cost as US state colleges £9000 vs $13,500avg. And with UK universities supposedly about to be given increased tuition charging abilities it could actually be more.
The important difference of course, is that US universities require payment in advance. UK ones are paid for after graduation and after you start earning over a threshold.
Old Mar 13th 2016, 11:12 pm
Just Joined

thailandbill is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks again for all the replies...very useful.

My daughter wants to study medicine.

It looks like the best option would be to send my daughter to live with her Aunt in England after her IGCSE's where she could enrol in the local school to complete her A levels. Then she could try to enrol in a UK university (if they are flexible on the residency question) or alternatively try for a European university.

She could also take a gap year after A levels and remain in the UK and apply again for a UK university after her three year residency requirement is fulfilled.

My Aunt would be pleased to be her legal guardian I am sure.

This looks like the best option/s at the moment. I agree with the comment that it is likely that there will probably be more choices for English study in Europe after another four years.

Does anyone have any insight into obtaining guardian status for my Aunt? Is that relatively easy?

Thank you all again for the replies and assistance.
Old Mar 13th 2016, 11:35 pm
Austin. TX.

I'm sure you've looked into it but the competition to get into medical school in the UK is incredibly fierce. The "A" level standards required are really, really high. Off the top of my head 4 or 5 A* . It's ridiculous. I know some dental professors in the UK and last time they were moaning about it, they had 200 applicants for each place and about 99.9 % of them had at least 4 A levels at the highest grades possible.
Anyway, tell her to get her head down and study hard! Good luck to her.

Prague has an excellent medical/dental school....
Old Mar 14th 2016, 1:43 am
Just Joined

thailandbill is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Petitefrancais.

Yes, the grade requirements are quite daunting! She is doing extremely well at school currently...all A grades so far! Will have to see how it goes.

I am a bit concerned about the transfer to a UK state school at A levels after being in an international school all her academic life. I guess it will depend on how committed she is when she gets a little older.

Thanks again for all your comments.
Old Mar 14th 2016, 3:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Parnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond repute

We intend being back for my daughter to attend year 10 to 12.

What are the differences people are so concerned about in Local versus international fees?

I checked my old university and it appears $18k for international versus $9k for local

$9k x 4 years? $36k

PS I don't have a GBP icon on this keyboard

$36k @ 45% tax rate (UK) less Singapore 15% (30%) does it really make sense to go back early?

Last edited by Parnell; Mar 14th 2016 at 3:57 am.
Old Mar 14th 2016, 3:31 am
Austin. TX.

Domestic about £9k pa repaid AFTER graduation and earning in excess of about £21k.
International fees vary according to university but are paid in advance each year.
UCL:
UCL's tuition fees for overseas undergraduate students are shown below. Please note that these are for 2016 entry. UCL's tuition fees for 2017 entry will be higher; the Prospectus will be updated with 2017 entry fees when they are set in Summer 2016.

£16,130 for most Arts, Humanities and Social Science-based programmes;
£16,690 for most Law and Economics programmes;
£18,670 for Arts and Sciences (BASc) programmes;
£18,830 for most Mathematics and Statistics programmes;
£21,320 for most Science programmes but including Archaeology, Fine Art and Architecture;
£22,380 for most Engineering and Astrophysics programmes;
£31,720 for Medicine (£21,320 for the integrated BSc year).
Old Mar 14th 2016, 6:49 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

The OP should read all similar threads on this forum also because there are a couple posters who seem to have obtained domestic fees and status (the difference is important for loans etc.) without meeting any of the official requirements. From recollection, one poster's child lied about residency dates on their application form and another seemed to find a kindly uni person who sorted it for them.