Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Holiday Reading Recommendations Please!

Wikiposts

Holiday Reading Recommendations Please!

Old Aug 9th 2006, 8:16 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Holiday Reading Recommendations Please!

Anyone got any recommendations for good holiday reads?

I like travel writing, factual stuff, historical travel tales. I haven't read a work of fiction for years. My favourite reads in recent times have been 'The Dig Tree', 'The Singing Line' and 'Into the Blue'. I've just bought 'Rabbit Proof Fence' to take with me and I'm halfway thru 'Whitefella Jump Up'. Yes, there's a distinct Aussie theme going on there but I will read about anywhere on the planet! Good reading essential in order to manage without BE for 2 weeks.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 8:53 am
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of
Default Re: Holiday Reading Recommendations Please!

that's a hard one given your preferences..... they aren't factual, but have you tried the Alexander McCall Smith Number 1 Ladies Detective Agency series? They give a delightful insight into life in Botswana. Well worth trying
Old Aug 9th 2006, 10:03 am
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw

I like travel writing, factual stuff, historical travel tales. I haven't read a work of fiction for years. My favourite reads in recent times have been 'The Dig Tree', 'The Singing Line' and 'Into the Blue'. I've just bought 'Rabbit Proof Fence' to take with me and I'm halfway thru 'Whitefella Jump Up'. Yes, there's a distinct Aussie theme going on there but I will read about anywhere on the planet! Good reading essential in order to manage without BE for 2 weeks.
'Watching the English' by Kate Fox. Not strictly travel related but a fascinating read if you are interested in what makes a people tick.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 11:34 am
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of

I just finished "Pillars of the earth" from Ken Follett....really great book.
Almost 1000 small printed pages..that would keep you busy
Old Aug 9th 2006, 6:57 pm
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Who said you could go on holiday HP???

Hows little T and N doing? and of course hubby......sorry no suggestions on books unless it's Tweenies or Cinderella influenced...!!!
Old Aug 9th 2006, 7:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Johnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond repute

Two books that I read while we were travelling that I would heartily recommend are "Yes Man" by Danny Wallace and "Jack & Harry -- No turning back" by Tony McKenna.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 11:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pants
Who said you could go on holiday HP???

Hows little T and N doing? and of course hubby......sorry no suggestions on books unless it's Tweenies or Cinderella influenced...!!!
Ah, the joys of permanent employment! 25 days forced upon us, what are we supposed to do!!

T&N are fine! Really, the Cinderella and Tweeenies recommendations would be most welcome - I'm sick of the bloody Gruffalo and Room on the Broom!!! I can recite them off by heart now (and so can T so there's no skipping pages at bedtime! )

How's the bump? xx
Old Aug 10th 2006, 12:34 am
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Bill Bryson's 'A Short History of Nearly Everything' looks like an interesting read. I've made a mental note to get it hopefully sometime soon.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 2:43 am
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, the joys of permanent employment! 25 days forced upon us, what are we supposed to do!!

T&N are fine! Really, the Cinderella and Tweeenies recommendations would be most welcome - I'm sick of the bloody Gruffalo and Room on the Broom!!! I can recite them off by heart now (and so can T so there's no skipping pages at bedtime! )

How's the bump? xx
lol....I have the opposite, trying to convince contractor hubby to have some holiday time of with us..sod the money we need to have some time together apart from weekends.!!

Glad the girls are ok...give them a hug from me and M.

Bump is doing very well..lots of kicking and rumba dancing mainly in evening and when I am trying to get to sleep...har har.....as if..!!

On a slightly serious note I have just finished reading this book....

Confessions of a Bad Mother: In the Aisle by the Chill Cabinet No-one Can Hear You Scream by Stephanie Calman

Sure to give all mums a chuckle or two....shame they don't give you it to mums on a compulsory basis when they first get preggers....!!

xx
Old Aug 10th 2006, 10:08 am
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

A good book I couldn't put down recently was "The Time-Traveler's Wife" by Audrey Niffenegger. I then passed it on to my daughter who loved it too!
Old Aug 10th 2006, 10:15 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
Bill Bryson's 'A Short History of Nearly Everything' looks like an interesting read. I've made a mental note to get it hopefully sometime soon.
I love Bill Bryson but this one is heavy going. It's not as funny as most of his others.
I'd Definitely recommend any of his others for Holiday reading though, he has me chuckling out loud.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 10:23 am
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
I love Bill Bryson but this one is heavy going. It's not as funny as most of his others.
I'd Definitely recommend any of his others for Holiday reading though, he has me chuckling out loud.
Really? Hmm, will add another mental to the first... don't read it when looking for a light pick-me-up.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 10:38 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
Really? Hmm, will add another mental to the first... don't read it when looking for a light pick-me-up.
It's totally out of character for him, it's very clever, but nowhere near as hilarious. It is was it says on the cover.

Last edited by gruffbrown; Aug 10th 2006 at 10:42 am.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 6:37 pm
Live the moment

Have to agree gruffbrown.....Mr Bryson has me laughing out loud..!!I loved

"Notes from a small Island."....he really got so many English/Scots down to a T !!Has me smiling just thinking about it. I loved "Down Under" too....

He has a new book due out in Sept here called

"The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid "...
Old Aug 10th 2006, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for all the replies. I gave up trying to reply yesterday! I will look up all the suggestions on Amazon as sadly I don't get time to browse around bookshops these days (and if I do I normally end up in kid's corner reading the Gruffalo..again!

Johnsyweb, I will defo read up on the 2 you have suggested - your life sounds like mine 4 years ago so we might be on the same wavelength!(dinky, emigrated, 14,000km road trip round Oz, settled in Melbourne).