Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

HMRC customs charges (for used, personal belongings)

HMRC customs charges (for used, personal belongings)

Old Sep 11th 2013, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

warrend is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HMRC customs charges (for used, personal belongings)

Hi,

I hope this is the correct place for this thread, apologies if not.

I lived in South Korea from October 2008 to June 2013. When I left, I shipped 7 large boxes of personal belongings back to the UK.

Six of the boxes have arrived, but 1 hasn't. The undelivered box contains my computer speakers, which I have had/used for the last 5 years. The box was quite clearly labelled as containing used personal belongings.

I have a tracking number, so I called Parcel Force, who told me to expect a letter, which will explain how HMRC are going to charge me import tax and other customs charges, and then Parcel Force will charge me an extra delivery fee - around £50 in total.

It seems to me that only a complete moron would consider my speakers new or for commercial use, or that I was planning on selling them on.

Has anyone experienced anything like this before? What did you do? How can I contest these charges? I actually have several photos of these speakers in use at my apartment in Korea - will they be good evidence in my favour?
Old Sep 11th 2013, 12:40 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HMRC customs charges (for used, personal belongings)

Originally Posted by warrend
Hi,

I hope this is the correct place for this thread, apologies if not.

I lived in South Korea from October 2008 to June 2013. When I left, I shipped 7 large boxes of personal belongings back to the UK.

Six of the boxes have arrived, but 1 hasn't. The undelivered box contains my computer speakers, which I have had/used for the last 5 years. The box was quite clearly labelled as containing used personal belongings.

I have a tracking number, so I called Parcel Force, who told me to expect a letter, which will explain how HMRC are going to charge me import tax and other customs charges, and then Parcel Force will charge me an extra delivery fee - around £50 in total.

It seems to me that only a complete moron would consider my speakers new or for commercial use, or that I was planning on selling them on.

Has anyone experienced anything like this before? What did you do? How can I contest these charges? I actually have several photos of these speakers in use at my apartment in Korea - will they be good evidence in my favour?
Never happened to me in three moves, and I am surprised at your experience.

First thing I would suggest is picking up the phone and calling HMRC to speak to a real person - if that's possible.
Old Sep 11th 2013, 3:33 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

That is strange. You even have proof they are old and used. I hop you can sort it, I doubt they are even worth £50 I'd probably tell them to keep them and buy new ones if they won't drop the charge.
Old Sep 11th 2013, 7:33 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like customs is trying to get a bit of extra revenue. I wouldn't be surprised that with budgets being squeezed there is a policy of throwing out a few spurious charges and seeing what sticks. There was a time when I wouldn't have thought that of the British Government, but sadly those times are over for me.

Call HMRC and argue, but if they insist on the fees just tell HMRC to keep the stuff because it's probably worth less than the fees.
Old Sep 11th 2013, 9:25 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

The undelivered box contains my computer speakers, which I have had/used for the last 5 years. The box was quite clearly labelled as containing used personal belongings.

was there anything else in the box with the speakers that you believe would likely cause HMRC to want to charge you duty .... something new of value?

If you consider all the items in the box are used personal effects, simply state your case & explain the goods are ALL used personal effects.

Or, you could say 'eh, the value is 'X' - sod it, you keep it.

Do let us know how you made out for this may help others

Last edited by not2old; Sep 11th 2013 at 9:27 pm.
Old Sep 12th 2013, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by not2old
was there anything else in the box with the speakers that you believe would likely cause HMRC to want to charge you duty .... something new of value?
Nope - only the speakers were in there.

I telephoned HMRC who said I can only appeal in writing.

They also said I must pay the charges first, and then appeal afterwards.

Dealing with HMRC seems more hassle than the speakers are worth... but at the same time, it's the principle of the matter. I think they're entirely wrong, and don't want them to get away with it. Hmmm.
Old Sep 12th 2013, 10:57 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Dealing with HMRC seems more hassle than the speakers are worth... but at the same time, it's the principle of the matter. I think they're entirely wrong, and don't want them to get away with it. Hmmm.
Sorry, you have to pay the charges to appeal? That's "BS" and sounds like an extortion racket to me. That can't be legal. Write to your MP or an ombundsman, don't pay them anything, you'll never see the money again.

I think they know they are wrong. It's similar to when moving companies have your stuff and they insist you pay to get it out of storage. They've basically kidnapped your speakers and are holding them for ransom.

Last edited by nun; Sep 12th 2013 at 11:00 am.
Old Sep 12th 2013, 1:38 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Its the game of time, effort & cost - all in HMRC favour.

You said that you would be out of pocket £50 in total on the basis this gets all sorted out not including your time to deal with this.

Also take into consideration what condition the speakers are in now that the parcel has been opened, not that customs or anyone that would handle the goods would play footy wit them.

There is 'a get them out of jail fee', a written objection, a wait, then a delivery charge etc even if you win.

On principle - if it was me, I'd ignore it. At some point my guess is HMRC will contact you saying we've not heard from you & that failing a given period usually 30 days they'll toss them. IMO, let them keep the goods & go out & buy some nice marked down speakers from an electronics high St store which are likely to cost less than £50?

Of course it depends on the sentimental value or real value of the speakers to you & whether your up to the 'on principle' frustration.

Good luck with this

Last edited by not2old; Sep 12th 2013 at 1:57 pm.
Old Sep 13th 2013, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

Just an update on this, if it comes in handy for anyone in the future.

I spoke again to HMRC and the charges were revised to £24, with free delivery (I understand Parcel Force/Royal Mail sometimes add a £17 postage charge on top).

The customs officer told me that if I wished to appeal further, then they currently have a 4 month backlog of appeals.

I decided to cut my losses, and paid the £24.

I imagine a lot of people do the same - just pay up, to avoid the hassle and get their belongings backs. It's completely wrong, but what can you do?
Old Sep 13th 2013, 4:59 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Just an update on this, if it comes in handy for anyone in the future.

I spoke again to HMRC and the charges were revised to £24, with free delivery (I understand Parcel Force/Royal Mail sometimes add a £17 postage charge on top).

The customs officer told me that if I wished to appeal further, then they currently have a 4 month backlog of appeals.

I decided to cut my losses, and paid the £24.

I imagine a lot of people do the same - just pay up, to avoid the hassle and get their belongings backs. It's completely wrong, but what can you do?
good & well done - its settled

did they give you the reason why they were charging you import duty on personal effects?
Old Sep 13th 2013, 5:08 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

did they give you the reason why they were charging you import duty on personal effects?
Because the R in HMRC stands for Rip-off?
Old Sep 13th 2013, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks. Apparently, my customs declaration wasn't clear enough. Despite it being exactly as outlined on HMRC's website. Which begs the question, how/why did my other 6 (similarly labelled) boxes get through, without problem? As it happened, some of the other boxes contained items which were far newer and more valuable than the speakers.

Originally Posted by dunroving
Old Sep 14th 2013, 4:44 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Perish the thought......

Edited to add; it really is that simple isn't it? 'You want to challenge us, you'll have a long wait'. So most will pay up. Any and every time they do this, their system is such that they will gain at least 24 every time.

The fact that they reduced the release price is interesting.....
We don't need masked men galloping up to stagecoaches today, do we?

Last edited by TheEmperorIsNaked; Sep 14th 2013 at 4:50 am.
Old Sep 14th 2013, 6:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TheEmperorIsNaked
'You want to challenge us, you'll have a long wait'. So most will pay up.
That's exactly it. Not many people will consider the 4 month wait worthwhile, it's easier to just pay up when the charges aren't too much. But all those £24's or so will add up! They must be making a fortune.

Originally Posted by TheEmperorIsNaked
The fact that they reduced the release price is interesting.....
I'm not actually sure they did - the first time I called, I was told to expect charges of around £50. And then when I called back, I was told the final calculation was actually £24. To be honest, I don't think anything I did made a difference.
Old Sep 14th 2013, 6:57 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

That's exactly it. Not many people will consider the 4 month wait worthwhile, it's easier to just pay up when the charges aren't too much. But all those £24's or so will add up! They must be making a fortune.

I'm not actually sure they did - the first time I called, I was told to expect charges of around £50. And then when I called back, I was told the final calculation was actually £24. To be honest, I don't think anything I did made a difference.
Just for an instant I thought: they're all heart! Then that damn pig crash landed through the window!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.