Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

High Crime Rate in the UK?

High Crime Rate in the UK?

Old Jan 29th 2011, 1:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

beachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: High Crime Rate in the UK?

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I was just thinking through my friends and family back in the UK and I don't know anyone who has been the victim of a crime. They live in Manchester and the areas around Leeds - although my mum lives in the wilds of Cumbria.

I was burgled 20 years ago living in a ground floor flat in Hull, but I'm the only one I know who has ever experienced that, and Hull really does have a high crime rate.

You can check crime rates for each area on the website upmystreet.com.

To see how wildly it varies, here's Hull:
http://www.upmystreet.com/local/crime-in-hull.html

And here's my favorite town:
http://www.upmystreet.com/local/crime-in-kendal.html
Thats a handy website, thanks for the link

I'm just watching on the local news about a woman who has shot her teenage son and daughter..... the reason? She was sick of them talking back at her.
Old Jan 29th 2011, 1:14 pm
Banned

kmthor has a brilliant futurekmthor has a brilliant futurekmthor has a brilliant futurekmthor has a brilliant futurekmthor has a brilliant futurekmthor has a brilliant futurekmthor has a brilliant future

when i was in the UK I don't remember any burglaries, but there was a murder on the farm next to us.. there was a lot of violent crimes, similar to what the Doc was saying..
South Africa was a different ball game and better left for another thread... but on the car note i used to get mine broken into so much i always had a couple of quarter lights spear...

Australia
had my car done twice..

out of interest dose anyone bother to report car break ins?
Old Jan 29th 2011, 1:19 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Of course, you definitely don't want to live on Coronation Street or in Emmerdale - there's a murder every few weeks.
Old Jan 29th 2011, 3:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beachgal21
Do you think your husband might be a bit of a jinx
Now you mention it
Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
The only person I've ever met who murdered someone was here in the US, lovely woman, she shot her husband one night, she was sick to death of the beatings, and was protecting her children. She never went to jail.
The woman who was killed was the opposite scenario, a very quiet even submissive lady and a vicious controlling husband.
Originally Posted by dunroving
Of course, you definitely don't want to live on Coronation Street or in Emmerdale - there's a murder every few weeks.
or Midsomer
Old Jan 29th 2011, 4:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

WARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beachgal21
Thats a handy website, thanks for the link

I'm just watching on the local news about a woman who has shot her teenage son and daughter..... the reason? She was sick of them talking back at her.
You live in the Bay area don't you. We stopped watching the local news a long time ago because of how depressing it is.
Old Jan 29th 2011, 5:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

beachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WARPed
You live in the Bay area don't you. We stopped watching the local news a long time ago because of how depressing it is.
Yes, I live in Madeira Beach. I know what you mean about the news ... what is it with people around here!
Old Jan 29th 2011, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

This definitely varies depending on where you are. I grew up just outside Stirling in Scotland and was happy to walk around day or night. I was a student in Edinburgh, where I was also happy to walk around the city day or night. However I have been living in Glasgow for nearly 5 years now, and I rarely feel safe anywhere! I had never called the police until I moved here... now I think it averages out at once a year. I know people who have witnessed attempted murders, who have been attacked, who have been broken into, I find the atmosphere here quite disconcerting sometimes. But I also know that is *my* perception, because I have friends who wouldn't give the same view at all. It all comes down to personal experience, how much you are bothered by certain things, and where you are.
Old Jan 29th 2011, 8:34 pm
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

This was from 2009, but it was just the first one that came up when I googled.

I studied Criminal Law about 10 years ago and the findings were pretty much the same then; that the perception of crime rarely has anything to do with the actual crime rate.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...s-1750036.html

The findings of the British Crime Survey (BCS), an annual analysis of crime figures for England and Wales, were both striking and positive. Positive because crime is going down; striking because the findings are at odds with public perceptions. The number of murders, manslaughters, and child killings has dropped by 17 per cent to a 20-year low. Thefts and domestic burglaries are up, but overall crime is down by 5 per cent, with violent crime and gun crime down by six and 17 per cent respectively. And yet, as surveys consistently show, though public perceptions of crime fluctuate (generally quite mildly), the prevailing view steadfastly holds that crime is much more widespread and out of control than it really is.
Old Jan 29th 2011, 9:09 pm
Banned

kmthor has a brilliant futurekmthor has a brilliant futurekmthor has a brilliant futurekmthor has a brilliant futurekmthor has a brilliant futurekmthor has a brilliant futurekmthor has a brilliant future

The findings of the British Crime Survey (BCS), an annual analysis of crime figures for England and Wales, were both striking and positive. Positive because crime is going down; striking because the findings are at odds with public perceptions. The number of murders, manslaughters, and child killings has dropped by 17 per cent to a 20-year low. Thefts and domestic burglaries are up, but overall crime is down by 5 per cent, with violent crime and gun crime down by six and 17 per cent respectively. And yet, as surveys consistently show, though public perceptions of crime fluctuate (generally quite mildly), [B]the prevailing view steadfastly holds that crime is much more widespread and out of control than it really is.
i wouldn't give this survey the time of day, as it is so easy for the police to manipulate the figures.. you sometimes hear in the news how the police have been cooking the books.. NZ was really bad for it .

i do agree that it perception
Old Jan 29th 2011, 9:40 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kmthor
i wouldn't give this survey the time of day, as it is so easy for the police to manipulate the figures.. you sometimes hear in the news how the police have been cooking the books.. NZ was really bad for it
The police have basically no involvement in the British Crime Survey, since it's compiled by a market research agency on behalf of the Home Office.
Old Jan 29th 2011, 9:49 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by elfman
The police have basically no involvement in the British Crime Survey, since it's compiled by a market research agency on behalf of the Home Office.

but surely it is to do with weather a crime is solved or not? and that the police do have control over i assume?

there are also crimes that don't get reported
Old Jan 29th 2011, 10:03 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

We didn't bother, why would we really ? The Police probably wouldn't come anyway as there was nothing really to see.

Australia
had my car done twice..

out of interest dose anyone bother to report car break ins?
Old Jan 29th 2011, 10:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

An official report earlier this month stated that the incidence of all types of crime in the UK had fallen over the past few years except for sexual offences and one other offence the nature of which I can't remember off hand. THe largest decreases in the number of reported crimes, apparentlly, were those involving burglary, theft and offences against property.

Cynics naturally dismiss the figures completely, but who's really qualified to argue with official Police or Government reports apart from those who have been actual victims of any kind of crime?

Anyway, to compare crime statistics for any particular location in the UK with those on an overall national level - eg to find out how a rural area in Dorset, in south west England is doing as regards cime or an urban area of Tyneside in north east England compared with Britain as a whole or here in this fair city of Edinburgh then just check out this site:

http://www.upmystreet.com/local/arti...ime-areas.html
Old Jan 29th 2011, 10:25 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by izzi81
This definitely varies depending on where you are. I grew up just outside Stirling in Scotland and was happy to walk around day or night. I was a student in Edinburgh, where I was also happy to walk around the city day or night. However I have been living in Glasgow for nearly 5 years now, and I rarely feel safe anywhere! I had never called the police until I moved here... now I think it averages out at once a year. I know people who have witnessed attempted murders, who have been attacked, who have been broken into, I find the atmosphere here quite disconcerting sometimes. But I also know that is *my* perception, because I have friends who wouldn't give the same view at all. It all comes down to personal experience, how much you are bothered by certain things, and where you are.
Why don't you move back to Edinburgh or Stirling?
Old Jan 29th 2011, 11:14 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

but surely it is to do with weather a crime is solved or not? and that the police do have control over i assume?

there are also crimes that don't get reported
WRONG: the British Crime Survey is a record of victimisation - it records whether or not people have been affected by crime, regardless of whether or not they reported it to the police or if it was eventually solved (by this I assume you mean a conviction was obtained). And the BCS has consistently indicated that most forms of crime in the UK are on a ownward trend.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.