Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

High Anxiety Cat - should he fly?

High Anxiety Cat - should he fly?

Old Mar 12th 2019, 1:09 am
Just Joined

NateWagner is an unknown quantity at this point
Default High Anxiety Cat - should he fly?

We're starting to make some concrete plans for our move from Canada to England, and we're having second thoughts about bringing our cats. We have 2 cats, both less than 3 years old - one of them is very outgoing and adaptable and would most likely have no issues at all with the move. The other one is a different story - he is very easily stressed and very skittish with strangers (sometimes even with us). It had always been part of the plan to bring them with us, but lately we've been reconsidering as we see how stressed out he's been getting just with the upset to his routine with people in and out of our house for viewings while we've had our house up for sale.
Has anyone else had experience with a super-anxious cat making the long-haul flight? We just don't know how he would handle it with all the strange sounds and surroundings, and we're wondering if it would be kinder to him to try and find him a new home for both of them (we think it would be cruel to split them up). I know he would still have anxiety issues adjusting to his new family, but it would likely be a lot easier on him than making a 8 hour flight.
So conflicted...any advice from those with similar situations would be appreciated!
Old Mar 12th 2019, 1:17 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: High Anxiety Cat - should he fly?

My Tyler was a one person cat. He would skedaddle when other people were around. Any sign of anything different or unusual and he was off . Putting him in a cat carrier was a mission. We were both often stressed out by the time this was achieved and he often disgraced himself on his way to a vet visit. He would cling to me.

Tyler made the trip from the UK to NZ back in 2004. That is two long haul flights. He breezed the trip with no ill effects & then had to put up with a good couple of weeks of a cattery. He was just so pleased to see me when I followed him a few weeks later. I will never forget those purrs or shake tail welcome before he launched himself into my arms.

I cannot say what you should do for your pusscat. I can only say how it was for Ty.
Old Mar 12th 2019, 1:29 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Cats aren't humans, so while it is tempting to try to apply what makes you anxious to your cat, or even try to apply what you see makes your cat anxious to your expectation of how you think your cat might react to flying, that may not be a good predictor of how your cat actually reacts to being in the hold of a plane. Cat's generally like, and seek out dark hidey-holes so while your cat might not like being carried in a box in a car in the day time, being in the hold of a plane might be seen totally differently if you were a cat - most of us would hate being crated and put in a dark place, but we aren't cats.
Old Mar 13th 2019, 4:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

Don’t forget you can get tranquilisers from the vet so even though the full effects will wear off at some point he’ll still be pleasantly doped up.
Old Mar 13th 2019, 5:34 am
Just Joined

Portobellogal is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Nate: I'm an animal lover and rescuer. The only thing you may not have contemplated is the length of time your kitty will have to stay in quarantine at home. That long time may fray his nerves far more than a long plane ride. Good luck with your move.
Old Mar 13th 2019, 6:32 am
`

Originally Posted by Helen1964
Don’t forget you can get tranquilisers from the vet so even though the full effects will wear off at some point he’ll still be pleasantly doped up.
It isn't recommended to sedate a pet for flying. They prefer that this is not done.
Old Mar 13th 2019, 6:33 am
`

Originally Posted by Pulaski
- most of us would hate being crated and put in a dark place, but we aren't cats.
Unless you are Temple Grandin.

Old Mar 13th 2019, 6:36 am
`

Originally Posted by Portobellogal
Hi Nate: I'm an animal lover and rescuer. The only thing you may not have contemplated is the length of time your kitty will have to stay in quarantine at home. That long time may fray his nerves far more than a long plane ride. Good luck with your move.
I doubt that.

Some UK rules on this

Old Mar 13th 2019, 8:57 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with BEVS, please ignore advice to drug your cats. You have no idea what reaction they may have when nobody is watching them. We did put Rescue Remedy in their water for a few days prior to moving ours but I'm never convinced about that stuff (for animals or humans).

Two of our three were hand-reared, all three neurotic. I won't lie and say the move (Singapore to Sydney so a similar flight to yours) and a month in quarantine was a breeze, they were definitely affected by it, but 11 years on they seem to have forgiven us.

I know nothing about quarantine for the UK, sorry.

(We did say we'd never move them again but here we find ourselves, planning to move two of them to the US - a much longer journey - when the third's cancer gets the better of him.)
Old Mar 14th 2019, 12:00 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
It isn't recommended to sedate a pet for flying. They prefer that this is not done.
Indeed. Australian vets refuse point blank to provide pet sedatives for flights. If the pet has an adverse reaction to the sedative there is no one there to help them in-flight.
Old Mar 14th 2019, 12:26 am
Just Joined

NateWagner is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks to everyone for the input. I know there's no right answer to this - we're just going to have to weigh everything out and make what will be the best decision for us and our little fluffball.
Old Mar 14th 2019, 12:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Richard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond repute

Our cat would never tolerate an overseas flight, especially now that they go into the plane's cargo hold. We also think it's somewhat cruel to the animal. Dogs are much more outgoing and do better in such travel. I've never seen a cat hang its head out of a speeding car window enjoying the wind like dogs. Maybe we just have a very sensitive cat.
Old Mar 14th 2019, 1:41 am
`

Originally Posted by Richard8655
Our cat would never tolerate an overseas flight, especially now that they go into the plane's cargo hold. We also think it's somewhat cruel to the animal. Dogs are much more outgoing and do better in such travel. I've never seen a cat hang its head out of a speeding car window enjoying the wind like dogs. Maybe we just have a very sensitive cat.
Has your cat ever done one? My cats have. Back to back long haul + internal.

It isn't cruel at all. It is practical all round if you wish to remain with your cat. What can be a little difficult for a cat or dog I feel is taking them into a passenger cabin with all the noise and smells + confinement.

I am not sure why or how you know that dogs fare better than cats or perhaps also horses during flights . In my experience and that of others that we know who flew their cats UK to New Zealand , that is not the case. I have however heard of a dog that passed away not long after arriving in NZ. Whether that was the flughts, age or health was not determined . It was sad.

Originally Posted by NateWagner
Thanks to everyone for the input. I know there's no right answer to this - we're just going to have to weigh everything out and make what will be the best decision for us and our little fluffball.
I agree.
As I wrote, I brought out my cats, one of which was a very angsty puss , maybe down to the fact he was part burmese. He breezed it and he had many more happy years with us even though he remained wary of other people, the vet building and the dreaded pet carrier.

Old Mar 14th 2019, 2:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Richard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Has your cat ever done one? My cats have. Back to back long haul + internal.

It isn't cruel at all. It is practical all round if you wish to remain with your cat. What can be a little difficult for a cat or dog I feel is taking them into a passenger cabin with all the noise and smells + confinement.

I am not sure why or how you know that dogs fare better than cats or perhaps also horses during flights . In my experience and that of others that we know who flew their cats UK to New Zealand , that is not the case. I have however heard of a dog that passed away not long after arriving in NZ. Whether that was the flughts, age or health was not determined . It was sad.
No one knows for sure, but as a life long cat owner my feeling is they generally do not like to travel (unlike dogs) and prefer the familiarity of their local personal territory. What may be practical for you may be very uncomfortable for a cat.

In my city, there are occasional episodes of pet deaths in cargo holds, mostly due to inadequate temperature or pressurization. Despite cabin noises and people, pets are much safer and more comfortable with and near their owner in the cabin. It's much more rare that a pet death occurs in the cabin next to the owner than separated in the cargo hold.

As I said, we each have our own opinions on this. We can't ask the pets obviously, but for cats I still think in general it's very unnatural and causes quite a bit of discomfort. To me, this is cruel. But I don't disagree that sometimes it's a necessity and better than having the pet abandoned or given up to a pet shelter.

Last edited by Richard8655; Mar 14th 2019 at 2:07 am.
Old Mar 14th 2019, 2:10 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Many thousands of us have moved our cats. In Singapore the alternative is often to chuck them back on the street - and yes I have seen it done by so-called animal-loving expats. Which is the more cruel?

I would have stayed put rather than leave mine on the streets.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.