Here we go from UK to USA

Old Jan 10th 2009, 9:12 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Here we go from UK to USA

The I-864 is due at the interview.
Old Jan 10th 2009, 9:15 pm

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

I am in Pensacola, let me know if there is any information I can offer. Have been here three years.

Getting a job is not easy, I know as my job is to help others to find work. Decent paying jobs are rare but the service industries and tourism has jobs though at the moment everyone is reducing hours.

Good luck.
Old Jan 10th 2009, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

chrisncarla will become famous soon enoughchrisncarla will become famous soon enough

Hi

Ours took 5 Months from start to finish see signature
Old Jan 10th 2009, 9:55 pm
Just Joined

colinda is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chrisncarla
Hi

Ours took 5 Months from start to finish see signature
Took me 11 months....but there were a few things to take care of.....should have been maybe 9/10 months
Old Jan 11th 2009, 12:38 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wilto
So in all seriousness the main thing we are needing to be worried about is the financial situation on the affidavit.
Right. Seems to me you will probably need a joint sponsor, unless your wife goes to the USA ahead of you and finds work earning the right annual amount.

Rene
Old Jan 11th 2009, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

Wilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Right. Seems to me you will probably need a joint sponsor, unless your wife goes to the USA ahead of you and finds work earning the right annual amount.

Rene
Righteo it looks like I'm going to need a joint financial sponsor as I don't have a huge amount in assets.

The most likely candidate to sponsor me will be my father in law. Slight hitch there too.

My wife and her parents came to the UK 4 years ago, her parents are moving back in the next few months. They have not worked in the US for 4 years so have no W2 or tax returns of any kind as they haven't needed to.

So where does that leave me? There are other relatives there with enough money to joint sponsor me but obviously I'd prefer it to be someone close.

The only time I need to make the state aware of my joint financial sponsor is on the I 864 affidavit correct, and I will have to fill out 2 of those, one for my wife as she is sponsoring me and one for the person who is financially sponsoring me, so I will have to ask for two 864 forms correct?
Old Jan 11th 2009, 5:03 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

My wife and her parents came to the UK 4 years ago, her parents are moving back in the next few months. They have not worked in the US for 4 years so have no W2 or tax returns of any kind as they haven't needed to.
As US citizens, they should have filed tax returns. On the sponsorship front, they can possibly substitute capital for income.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

Wilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by fatbrit
As US citizens, they should have filed tax returns. On the sponsorship front, they can possibly substitute capital for income.
Just spoken to my father in law and he says he hasn't made enough to file a US tax return.

He has filed UK tax but not American.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 5:25 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Just spoken to my father in law and he says he hasn't made enough to file a US tax return.

He has filed UK tax but not American.
It'd be a very small income if he didn't have to file. Are you sure he didn't mean that he didn't have to pay any additional on his US tax? The first $80k or so earned abroad is "free". However, he still needs to file.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by fatbrit
It'd be a very small income if he didn't have to file. Are you sure he didn't mean that he didn't have to pay any additional on his US tax? The first $80k or so earned abroad is "free". However, he still needs to file.
He earned something to the tune of $30K here in the UK, not a glamourous job!

Hmm he said he didn't need to becuase of the low income. Sooooo hmmm we hit a little glitch there.

My FIL has a wealthy sister, could I put her down as a joint financial spnosor, she has all tax returns and W2s and all the rest, even though I probably wouldn't live with her, I would live with my wife's parents to start before we get a house.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 5:42 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

He earned something to the tune of $30K here in the UK, not a glamourous job!

Hmm he said he didn't need to becuase of the low income. Sooooo hmmm we hit a little glitch there.

My FIL has a wealthy sister, could I put her down as a joint financial spnosor, she has all tax returns and W2s and all the rest, even though I probably wouldn't live with her, I would live with my wife's parents to start before we get a house.
Direct your FIL to the IRS section of the US Embassy/London website.

US citizens must report their worldwide income (BG36's tax wiki here would help your FIL).
You do not need to live with your Joint Sponsor.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meauxna
Direct your FIL to the IRS section of the US Embassy/London website.

US citizens must report their worldwide income (BG36's tax wiki here would help your FIL).
You do not need to live with your Joint Sponsor.
Ok thanks for clearing that up.
Will point my FIL in the right direction or he may get a nasty suprise on his return to the US of A.
Well I think I have most bases covered now.
Thanks to all of your guys help!
Old Jan 11th 2009, 6:32 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Ok thanks for clearing that up.
Will point my FIL in the right direction or he may get a nasty suprise on his return to the US of A.
Well I think I have most bases covered now.
Thanks to all of your guys help!
Luckily for US citizens living abroad, having to FILE tax returns doesn't necessarily mean one must PAY taxes.

He'll want to look up IRS Form 2555 for Foreign Earned Income Exclusion: http://www.irs.gov/instructions/i2555/index.html

According to the IRS website, people who earned equal to or less than $87,600 in 2008 are excluded from paying federal income tax, provided they file Form 2555 with their tax returns. See the above link for more information.

~ Jenney
Old Jan 11th 2009, 9:57 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

My wife and her parents came to the UK 4 years ago, her parents are moving back in the next few months.
FYI... they can not be joint sponsors *until* they are living in the US, so that'll mean delaying the application at least until then.

Ian
Old Jan 12th 2009, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
FYI... they can not be joint sponsors *until* they are living in the US, so that'll mean delaying the application at least until then.

Ian
Well it looks like my FIL's wealthy sister will have to joint sponsor me.
Ian you say my FIL cannot be a joint sponsor until living in the usa, does the same go for my wife?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.