HELP-UK college fees

Old Jul 22nd 2011, 6:09 pm
Just Joined

Cali2UK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HELP-UK college fees

I have been searching the forums for an answer to my question but, i seem to only find the answers when it's in reference to universities...

So i am going to start college in September (A college not a university) I am British citizen but have not been a resident in the UK for 3 years as they require to be able to qualify for resident tuition. My question is does the three year rule only stand for the universities or does that also include the college's as well?

I hope that i did not make it confusing, thanks.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 6:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP-UK college fees

One and the same thing.

So yes.

Unless you're talking about a CoFE type deal, in which case ask them directly as you wouldn't get student loans for those type of places anyway.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 7:07 pm
Just Joined

I thought so but was hoping that it wasn't true. Well im just now hoping that its not too much nad that i can work and pay off the course at the same time! wish me luck!

oh and one more question does anyone know when the three year residency law when into action or was it always in place?

Thanks again....
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 7:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cali2UK
I thought so but was hoping that it wasn't true. Well im just now hoping that its not too much nad that i can work and pay off the course at the same time! wish me luck!

oh and one more question does anyone know when the three year residency law when into action or was it always in place?

Thanks again....
It's always been that way.

As an international fee paying student, you've generally got to pay up front and the cost is whatever it is, so ask the institution. Lab based courses and good institutions charge more than mediocre or pure class based courses, so a rule of thumb for anything around £10-20K a year?
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 8:33 pm
Just Joined

ok thanks for all the help, i will check into that upcoming week.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

Twigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud of

My daughter was 11 when we left the UK for USA. We returned for 1 year when she was 16yr 10mths. She started at college without any hassle and just had to sit an English & Maths skills test. Letter of entry came wihin 2 days and she completed 1 year at college without GCSE's and no mention of payment.
She completed the year then we headed back to USA (different visa) where she had to complete last 2 years of High School and has just graduated.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 7:22 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twigstar
My daughter was 11 when we left the UK for USA. We returned for 1 year when she was 16yr 10mths. She started at college without any hassle and just had to sit an English & Maths skills test. Letter of entry came wihin 2 days and she completed 1 year at college without GCSE's and no mention of payment.
She completed the year then we headed back to USA (different visa) where she had to complete last 2 years of High School and has just graduated.
If you had proof you were on a temp visa then they don't charge international fees
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

Twigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud of

They never asked to see proof of any time spent out of the country. We told them we had been in USA and that she had never attended secondary school therefore no GCSE's so she was invited to sit the skills test and that was that. We never showed a passport or anything to do with a visa she just had to show her birth certificate, which was the short one at that.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

I have been searching the forums for an answer to my question but, i seem to only find the answers when it's in reference to universities...

So i am going to start college in September (A college not a university) I am British citizen but have not been a resident in the UK for 3 years as they require to be able to qualify for resident tuition. My question is does the three year rule only stand for the universities or does that also include the college's as well?

H,i our youngest son had not lived in the UK for more than 3 years....he had 3 interviews at colleges of his choice and decided on which one he liked best and started in September 2010, we were not asked for any fee's etc by any of these colleges even though the all three colleges were informed of our sons overseas education.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 11:09 pm
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

OT to the original post, but are you saying she was nearly 20 by the time she finished US high school? Sorry but that's ridiculous, did the US authorities not recognise her UK education at all?
Old Jul 24th 2011, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

aries_bird is a jewel in the rougharies_bird is a jewel in the rougharies_bird is a jewel in the rougharies_bird is a jewel in the rougharies_bird is a jewel in the rough

Quick question, how old are you? Colleges of Further Education are free to all permanent residents if under the age of 19. This is the same as school.

College courses are chargeable to most people over this age, even if they have never left UK soil - unless they are in receipt of benefits etc where certain allowances/reduced fees may apply.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Squirrel
OT to the original post, but are you saying she was nearly 20 by the time she finished US high school? Sorry but that's ridiculous, did the US authorities not recognise her UK education at all?
she graduated this year and had her 19th birthday 3 weeks later so only 1 year later.

6th - 10th grade in Florida, 1 year in the UK at college then 11th & 12th Grade in Texas
Old Jul 24th 2011, 3:54 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I think they did ask because of her age. Under 18 or is it 19 get a free education don't they?
Old Jul 25th 2011, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

aries_bird is a jewel in the rougharies_bird is a jewel in the rougharies_bird is a jewel in the rougharies_bird is a jewel in the rougharies_bird is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I think they did ask because of her age. Under 18 or is it 19 get a free education don't they?
Yes, free education at school or College of Further Education until 19 assuming permanently resident in the UK.
Old Jul 25th 2011, 10:15 am
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

she graduated this year and had her 19th birthday 3 weeks later so only 1 year later.

6th - 10th grade in Florida, 1 year in the UK at college then 11th & 12th Grade in Texas
Well I think they should have counted the UK year as 11th grade!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.