British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Help with UK(after US) school system please ! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/help-uk-after-us-school-system-please-687653/)

lisag8070 Oct 2nd 2010 12:18 am

Re: Help with UK(after US) school system please !

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome (Post 8891214)
Thank You so much for this .

DS is an advanced reader, so at least it is good to hear that not all subjects will be a challenge :)

Do happen to remember what was expected in terms of handwriting and the written English ?

I am also consoling myself with the fact that he will have completed a huge chunk of 2nd grade -we will arrive in the UK prob March ,the school year finishes in May here KWIM ?

DS is a second child, very sociable(like your DD ) -I hope that will help him
to adjust.

Does your daughter have a Yorkshire accent now BTW ? :)

Thanks again :)

with regards to the english, she was on par on with the current UK curriculum (she knew cursive and could read her assignment out loud in class) this was all that was really expected of her...with regards to spelling..no problem there, the teacher writes the spell words on the blackboard, the kids copy them down in their books and these are the words they need to learn for their spell test the following week.. So pretty much the same as the US.

You sons will be fine, and if your son is like my daughter at being sociable...then they'll see starting a new school as a big adventure.. :thumbsup:

sometimes she has a yorkshire accent...(especially at the end of the school day)....I think she tends to mimic who she's with...but I've told her it still sounds strange when she shouts Mum instead of Momma..:lol:

Gabgoeshome Oct 2nd 2010 1:22 am

Originally Posted by lisag8070 (Post 8891272)
with regards to the english, she was on par on with the current UK curriculum (she knew cursive and could read her assignment out loud in class) this was all that was really expected of her...with regards to spelling..no problem there, the teacher writes the spell words on the blackboard, the kids copy them down in their books and these are the words they need to learn for their spell test the following week.. So pretty much the same as the US.

You sons will be fine, and if your son is like my daughter at being sociable...then they'll see starting a new school as a big adventure.. :thumbsup:

sometimes she has a yorkshire accent...(especially at the end of the school day)....I think she tends to mimic who she's with...but I've told her it still sounds strange when she shouts Mum instead of Momma..:lol:

LOL ...Thanks for all the details ,you know how it is (Mum guilt) not wanting to ,make things worse for the children ...

How long have you been back now ?

Confused1 Oct 4th 2010 10:54 am

It really depends on which district and which school your kids go to whether they will have a problem on returning to the UK. My kids are in the US system, currently in grades 4 and 5 here. A friend of mine from the UK was visiting at the end of the academic year last year, and commented how advanced they were in terms of what they were doing for homework for their age, and she teaches year 6! I am not sure this is a "global" question.

Gabgoeshome Oct 4th 2010 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by Confused1 (Post 8895878)
It really depends on which district and which school your kids go to whether they will have a problem on returning to the UK. My kids are in the US system, currently in grades 4 and 5 here. A friend of mine from the UK was visiting at the end of the academic year last year, and commented how advanced they were in terms of what they were doing for homework for their age, and she teaches year 6! I am not sure this is a "global" question.

Thanks for this .

I do think there is a point where US kids surpass UK ,not sure it is fresh out of 2nd grade though ...I think it is later , your friend touched on it I believe .