Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

help! trying to get cat from Au to Uk...

help! trying to get cat from Au to Uk...

Old Jan 25th 2007, 10:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

seasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond repute
Default help! trying to get cat from Au to Uk...

Hi I am sooooo relieved to be going home soon, getting desperate now, depression seems to be returning, need to get out asap and get back to normal. I like to be able to visit here from time to time , it does help. Had fallout with sister yesterday who got aggressive as she cannot understand why I want to go.I got snappy too and v emotional,so know awful atmosphere. Anyway, various hurdles keep cropping up of course!
Anyone have any knowledge of cats back to uk.? I am a bit confused as it seems I have to get her vaccinated against rabies then get a blood test then wait here 6 months...OR 6 months quarantine.(best option for us except cost eeeeek!) However on the Defra website is some mention of cats from Oz being proven not to have been in contact with hendra disease in the preceeding 60 days. How/what/Any ideas! Cannot be here another 60 days.I have contact with some pet shipping people here who know nothing about it and in the uk and a quarantine place in uk. I guess I should ask a local vet, but think I may get more sense here! Thanks guys.
p.s doesnt that European snow look great!
Old Jan 26th 2007, 10:00 am
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: help! trying to get cat from Au to Uk...

Hi Seasprite - sorry you've been feeling down - it comes and goes with no warning doesn't it? Sorry too that your sister got aggressive with you, that's just what you don't need. I've had similar experience with certain members of my family too - thing is, they are not living your life, not experiencing your feelings. It's your decision, your life so you do what's best for you and your family.

Can't help with the cat question sorry - we had our dogs vaccinated against rabies as a precaution six months ago as we were not feeling settled, so ours can go straight through without quarrantine. I spoke to someone at Jetpets who seemed quite knowledgable.

Good luck with it all, hope you get it all sorted and then you can look forward to getting your life back again
Old Jan 26th 2007, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

Burt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud of

If you are not happy there come home! Full stop!

Re your cat - We returned from Prozac Land (NZ) in June and brought out 16 year old cat, Bill, with us. From what I can remember:

1/ He had to up to date with all normal cat jabs.
2/ He had a course of Rabies injections, and then had to wait 6 months after his blood count to antibodies had been confirmed.
3/ All cats must be micro chipped.
4/ He had to be wormed before his flight and stools must be clear of worms etc.

Now that was Prozac Land, but should give you an idea. Luckily we found an English vet (who was in the process of returning to the UK after 2.5 years lol)
who was up to speed with the whole process. The only delay was that there is no lab in Prozac Land that can test for the Rabies anti bodies. The sample has to be sent to Australia!

He flew via LAX and when we picked him up at Heathrow he looked as though he had taken it all in his stride.

Burt
Old Jan 26th 2007, 11:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

seasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond repute

thanks...I think I will have to go the quarantine route then. I like your logic Burt! Thanks for the relpy too Louise, I am over the worst now and packing already!
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 8:57 am
BE Enthusiast

lawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud of

does anyone know how much it costs to send a cat or 2 back to england??
Old Feb 4th 2007, 5:17 pm
Hanging by a thread

Location: England to Spain, Spain to England and back home for good
Sparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by seasprite
thanks...I think I will have to go the quarantine route then. I like your logic Burt! Thanks for the relpy too Louise, I am over the worst now and packing already!
Not sure if you've priced a cattery yet, but we got a figure of £1500 for a six month stay. Luckily we managed to find a lady to take care of our cat in Spain until she can come over....three months left and counting, can't wait to see her again.

We are having a few problems with the 'minder' though. I came home from work on Friday to a letter from her saying she was sorry, but she had left her front door open and Katie had got out and they couldn't find her, sorry again. I couldn't believe it and burst into tears. Apart from the kids counting down the days until she comes I miss her too and with all the stress we are going through at the moment it was the last thing I needed. I rang her straight away to be told Katie had come back the very next day, she was only missing overnight. Seemed a bit premature to write me a letter saying she had gone missing. Although we were pleased at first to have found someone to take care of her so she didn't have to be quarantined, I am now longing for the day she is safe with us as I don't trust this lady now. She had wrote to me just before Christmas asking if she could keep her as she had fallen in love with her and told me how distressing it would be for her to travel and that she was a true spanish cat who would hate England.

I wrote back and explained in no way could she keep her, the children were broken hearted at her having to stay behind and she must come to us. She is only a year old and my daughter rescued her from a dog, she was literally skin and bone and in a right state when we found her. We had to leave our elderly cat in England when we moved to Spain and that was hard enough, luckily our neighbour took him and we can now see him everyday again, so to think I could leave another cat behind was a definate no no.

So, having had two letters now makes me think was Katie actually lost at all or was this a letter to see if I responded and was she hoping to keep her? I can't tell the kids what's happened and now I just hope we don't have any trouble when the time comes for her to leave Spain.

Roll on.......Sparkle!
Old Feb 4th 2007, 11:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

blimey the cheeky cow! I would be worried too. We are lucky enough to be able to leave our 1 cat with my sister here who has cats too. She will be miserable, but better than being in a cage and we can't really spare 1800 pounds for Q costs. It will cost about 900 pounds to ship her back on the PETS scheme,(same as going).. so roll on September! Ours is 9...mind you she miows alot ans wakes us up so at least we will have 6m of peace!
Old Feb 6th 2007, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

Polyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud of

Here is some blurb re Hendra Virus;

http://www.csiro.au/csiro/content/standard/ps1o5.html

Basically DEFRA needs an extra form from your AQIS vet who is producing your export cert., which states that your cat has not been within an area where there has been an outbreak of Hendra within 60 days from export. AQIS issues restrictions as an outbreak occurs, i.e. it is a 'rolling non-incidence situation'. Fortunately it is a very rare disease at present, so should really only be an-extra-form-loopette for the vet, but remind her/him that you need it (frequently).

We used to have to produce a similar form via DEFRA for Rabies for certain country exports, was a bit hairy since it was only valid for 7days.

Here is the site for sorting the Oz government vet stuff;

http://www.daff.gov.au/content/outpu...CAD6D86454A753

Lastly, this may help - if you get the chip>rabies vax>blood test done (and this can be done in as little as 7 days, but beware negative test results) Then any further time you spend in Oz may be removed from quarantine times e.g. if you were here for 1month after the positive blood sample then puss should only have to do 5 months Q., a reasonable saving - unless it's delaying your departure! Check with DEFRA that they are still doing 'early-parole' (we did when I vetted for a Q kennels). Another method is to fulfil the PETS requirements then put mog in a cattery or cajole friends here (cheaper than Q.) then ship after 6 months (tho' no visitation for you guys)

Good luck, G.