Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

HELP - suggestions for areas outside of LDN....

HELP - suggestions for areas outside of LDN....

Old Jun 17th 2015, 8:48 pm
Just Joined

lexxus20 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HELP - suggestions for areas outside of LDN....

Hi Guys,

just looking for some advise on where to move back to in the UK. I am originally from East London but I currently live in Canada, I am extremely homesick and for the life of me cannot find a good permanent job as an executive assistant here and missing my family like crazy. well I am planning on moving back to the UK next year and would like some suggestions on places to live outside of London but close enough to be able to work in London and nice areas to raise my three children ages currently 13, 9 and 6. It seems like a lot has changed since I left in 2009.

Thank you in advance.....
Old Jun 17th 2015, 8:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP - suggestions for areas outside of LDN....

Really depends on where in London you obtain a job and if an hour's commute or more would be OK.

No point in suggesting looking in Chiswick, Kew, Richmond, Twickenham (all really nice places) if you end up working in East London.

Since you only left in 2009 areas around London have not changed that much.
Old Jun 17th 2015, 11:05 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for the reply, if the job market isn't bad in any of those areas I'd be more than happy/welcome to have a look out in those areas.

I'm going to have a look on rightmove and Zoopla and see what they are like.

Thank you
Old Jun 18th 2015, 7:23 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lexxus20
Thank you for the reply, if the job market isn't bad in any of those areas I'd be more than happy/welcome to have a look out in those areas.

I'm going to have a look on rightmove and Zoopla and see what they are like.

Thank you
Are you definitely going to be working in London? Plenty of places to work in the rest of the country with cheaper housing and easier commutes!
Old Jun 18th 2015, 11:11 am
Just Joined

I'm open to different areas, like you said with nice cheaper houses, nice to raise my children and jobs.
Old Jun 18th 2015, 4:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

britwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Oxted, Surrey. It's a lovely town (but expensive!) however the surrounding areas are cheaper. Easy commute to London and a great community!
Old Jun 19th 2015, 2:46 am
Forum Regular

sazzle1979 is a splendid one to beholdsazzle1979 is a splendid one to beholdsazzle1979 is a splendid one to beholdsazzle1979 is a splendid one to beholdsazzle1979 is a splendid one to beholdsazzle1979 is a splendid one to beholdsazzle1979 is a splendid one to beholdsazzle1979 is a splendid one to beholdsazzle1979 is a splendid one to beholdsazzle1979 is a splendid one to beholdsazzle1979 is a splendid one to behold

We came from Reigate, would give our back teeth to return, you could have a little look at Horley too - great fast train into London Victora.
Old Jun 19th 2015, 2:51 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply....I would like to work in London but I am open to working locally to where ever we end up living
Old Jun 19th 2015, 2:54 am
Just Joined

Thank you for all the choices, I will definitely research all areas suggested. I'm open to anywhere with good connections to London mainly to be near to family....but anywhere in the UK is closer than being in Ontario.
Old Jun 20th 2015, 5:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

This is a helpful tool.
commutefrom.com: Where to buy a house on London's commuter routes - commute times, fares and house prices