British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   HELP - suggestions for areas outside of LDN.... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/help-suggestions-areas-outside-ldn-860296/)

lexxus20 Jun 17th 2015 8:48 pm

HELP - suggestions for areas outside of LDN....

Hi Guys,

just looking for some advise on where to move back to in the UK. I am originally from East London but I currently live in Canada, I am extremely homesick and for the life of me cannot find a good permanent job as an executive assistant here and missing my family like crazy. well I am planning on moving back to the UK next year and would like some suggestions on places to live outside of London but close enough to be able to work in London and nice areas to raise my three children ages currently 13, 9 and 6. It seems like a lot has changed since I left in 2009.

Thank you in advance.....

SanDiegogirl Jun 17th 2015 8:52 pm

Re: HELP - suggestions for areas outside of LDN....

Really depends on where in London you obtain a job and if an hour's commute or more would be OK.

No point in suggesting looking in Chiswick, Kew, Richmond, Twickenham (all really nice places) if you end up working in East London.

Since you only left in 2009 areas around London have not changed that much.

lexxus20 Jun 17th 2015 11:05 pm

Thank you for the reply, if the job market isn't bad in any of those areas I'd be more than happy/welcome to have a look out in those areas.

I'm going to have a look on rightmove and Zoopla and see what they are like.

Thank you

robin1234 Jun 18th 2015 7:23 am

Originally Posted by lexxus20 (Post 11677985)
Thank you for the reply, if the job market isn't bad in any of those areas I'd be more than happy/welcome to have a look out in those areas.

I'm going to have a look on rightmove and Zoopla and see what they are like.

Thank you

Are you definitely going to be working in London? Plenty of places to work in the rest of the country with cheaper housing and easier commutes!

lexxus20 Jun 18th 2015 11:11 am

I'm open to different areas, like you said with nice cheaper houses, nice to raise my children and jobs.

britwhore Jun 18th 2015 4:38 pm

I live in Oxted, Surrey. It's a lovely town (but expensive!) however the surrounding areas are cheaper. Easy commute to London and a great community!

sazzle1979 Jun 19th 2015 2:46 am

We came from Reigate, would give our back teeth to return, you could have a little look at Horley too - great fast train into London Victora.

lexxus20 Jun 19th 2015 2:51 am

Thanks for the reply....I would like to work in London but I am open to working locally to where ever we end up living

lexxus20 Jun 19th 2015 2:54 am

Thank you for all the choices, I will definitely research all areas suggested. I'm open to anywhere with good connections to London mainly to be near to family....but anywhere in the UK is closer than being in Ontario.

mayhemuk Jun 20th 2015 5:20 pm

This is a helpful tool.
commutefrom.com: Where to buy a house on London's commuter routes - commute times, fares and house prices