Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

HELP! So confused about whether to move back or not.

HELP! So confused about whether to move back or not.

Old Jan 6th 2006, 12:52 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP! So confused about whether to move back or not.

Depending on the state that you're planning to head to, you may not have any choice in the driving licence thing. In NSW, they force you to hand it over and then they hole-punch it, so it's invalidated. But it's easy enough to exchange it for a UK one again, should you return, so I'd not worry too much about that.

The bank account idea is also a good one; Mr GG and I have both maintained our UK accounts (via my husband's parents' address) since arriving. We service a UK-based endowment from it, transferring lump-sums that give six-month's worth of payments. It's also useful for buying gifts from Amazon, that can be posted straight to the receiver. I've also found that Australian websites suck, so another bonus of having a UK account is being able to order things from overseas and have them delivered here, without having to worry about transfer fees.

HTH,
GG

Originally Posted by Issie
Thank you A21 and hiddenpaw......i get so much from these replies and realise that i will come across many hurdles but like you and many more have said i MUST give it ago.

I must ask you though, when you said keep accounts open and keep your driving licence...why and how? would i have to keep paying into the bank from Oz or will it just stay permantley open unless i close it down. These are thing i havent yet looked into.
Old Jan 6th 2006, 4:04 pm

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevntrace
Not necessarily. We have kept our UK address and the statement gets sent there every month, but we also asked for duplicates to be sent to our US address - at no cost to us.

To chip in on the other aspects of discussion in this thread, I've been here 10.5 years now. I left the UK for the adventure - had no problems with life in the UK. But I do use up most of my annual vacation to go back to the UK every year - and I love going back. Just wish I had more vacation time so I could have a US-based vacation too.

We have kept our UK property - its empty, but we use it as our base when we go back on holiday. Its one half of a semi, and the other half is the in-laws home. So it gets looked after year round. Its the wife's house (she owned it before I met/married her) and with the in-laws right next door I don't get an awful lot of say in its running. Ideally I'd like it to be rented out so we could cover the mortgage with the rent. But definitely don't want to sell it because its just increasing in value.

So as you can see, we are keeping our ties with the UK. We now have a 1 year old daughter, and I'm torn about her upcoming education. Being a Brit married to another Brit, I really don't have a lot of knowledge of the US education system, and that concerns me. So I am definitely considering relocating to the UK when she comes of age, so she gets a UK education and upbringing. Problem is the wife is really settled over here and she would prefer to stay, although I don't think she would mind going back to the UK to be close to family - we haven't come to that bridge yet, but we have discussed it briefly.

If we did relocate back, we would (hopefully) be US citizens by then (we're eligible to apply later this year), we could keep the US house (renting it out would easily cover the mortgage), we would hopefully have a 2nd child, and we could move straight back into our UK house. Not sure what sort of work I would do - if I stuck with IT would either have to contract away from the westcountry, or take a poor paying job to stay local (which I could probably cope with). Also the wife could go back to work too, so money wouldn't be too bad. And we'd still have the equity in the US and UK properties.

So as it looks right now, we may move back to the UK within the next 5 years - but nothing is in concrete yet.

we would really like to keep our property here to......going to get agents in after the weekend to see what rent it would get. We will need to take some equity out of the house though so we can start up.

Following this thread i have since convinced OH to keep bank accounts open and try to hold onto our driving licence's.

I am getting some invaluable advise on here so once again i would like to thank you and others for your continual support and help.
Old Jan 7th 2006, 12:29 am
Erica

Erica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to all

Originally Posted by TruBrit
ohhh boy what a decision lots of pros and cons for you...back home all will be there for the same reasons as you left it before however I know bringing up little ones is not easy wherever but it is nice to have the family support. I dunno but off the top of my hat if you did move back to the UK while the children grew/school yrs and you enjoyd your family (not being morbid but while you still have them, I lost my parents in the last few yrs and it's horrible) and in yrs to come you and your hubby could head back to the US...dunno just a thought good luck

Thanks to everyone for your advice. It is so helpful to know that I am not the only one going bonkers about this decision. The things that got me down about the UK were: The WEATHER; The rather negative/sarcastic outlook where people try and drag you down if you want to do well at something; my friends who were constantly falling out with each other; traffic jams; bad service; expensive and bad food; voilence/aggression when people get drunk; claustrophobia And other stuff. Moving to Japan and then the US was a relief, to get away from all that and reinvent myself without all that pressure. However, with small kids now in the US there are things that get me down about this place too! the materialism, the obsessive and over anxious parenting; the car culture; the ignorance about the rest of the world; shopping malls; difficulty in making really true connections with people; lack of history and old architecture etc. etc. I just don't know. We have decided to go back for a month in April to feel it out and see how it would be. I know that it would be fantastic for my kids to have such a big extended family in the UK and I took your advice about my parents dying some day to heart too. That would be awful. We shall see. Thanks again everyone, I will let you know what happens! Does anyone who has moved back recently think that it has changed in the UK in the last 6 years and how??? Cheers