Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Help! Scared and confused about using one-way ticket

Help! Scared and confused about using one-way ticket

Old Apr 13th 2014, 1:32 am
Forum Regular

Downton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help! Scared and confused about using one-way ticket

I just googled "Houston to Dublin" and got a whole list of flights on Aer Lingus.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 1:40 am
Forum Regular

Downton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond repute

There must be a way for you to get something back for your BA tickets and then just get tickets on Aer Lingus...round trip for you. Maybe you could have your pets on the same flight. No questions anywhere, no flying hither, thither and yon, no worries.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 2:53 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone who has commented on this know for a fact that a return ticket is mandatory for entry to the United Kingdom as a visitor? And I mean know for a fact, not assumption, opinion or forum myth.

If so, a reference to the Home Office website would be interesting. Noting that there is a difference between "mandatory" and "recommended".
Old Apr 13th 2014, 3:31 am
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I don't think it is a forum myth when someone posts they were bounced because they had no return ticket. I've read loads of those posts through the years. I would daresay many commenting in this thread have read similar accounts. That's what forums are for. Anecdotal evidence.

UK Border Force has a manual or at least HO PDF's reference one. Bonus points to whomever can find it online.

The Home Office does have guidance on visitors:

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...s_-_Part_2.pdf

Here's a messy copy and paste from the PDF. Bolded sections are mine and this is where a return ticket is useful to prove otherwise.

"40. For the purposes of paragraphs 41
-
46 a general visitor includes a person living and working
outside the United Kingdom who comes to the United Kingdom as a tourist. A person seeking
leave to enter the United Kingdom
as a Business Visitor, which includes Academic Visitors,
must meet the requirements of paragraph 46G. A person seeking entry as a Sports Visitor must
meet the requirements of paragraph 46M. A person seeking entry as an Entertainer Visitor must
meet the re
quirements of paragraph 46S. A visitor seeking leave to enter for the purposes of
marriage or to enter into a civil partnership must meet the requirements of paragraph 56D. A
person seeking entry to study as a student visitor must meet the requirements of
paragraph
56K.
The requirements to be met by a person seeking leave to enter the United Kingdom as a
general visitor are that he:
(i)
is genuinely seeking entry as a general visitor for a limited period as stated by him, not
exceeding 6 months
or not exc
eeding 12 months in the case of a person seeking entry to
accompany an academic visitor, provided in the latter case the visitor accompanying the
academic visitor has entry clearance; and
(ii)
intends to leave the United Kingdom at the end of the period of the
visit as stated by him;
and does not intend to live for extended periods in the United Kingdom through frequent
or successive visits; and
(iii)
does not intend to take employment in the United Kingdom; and
(iv)
does not intend to produce goods or provide services
within the United Kingdom,
including the selling of goods or services direct to members of the public; and
(v)
Save to the extent provided by paragraph 43A, does not intend to undertake a course of
study; and
(vi)
will maintain and accommodate himself and any dep
endants adequately out of resources
available to him without recourse to public funds or taking employment; or will, with any
dependants, be maintained and/or accommodated adequately by relatives or friends who
can demonstrate they are able and intend to d
o so, and are legally present in the United
Kingdom, or will be at the time of their visit; and
(vii)
can meet the cost of the return or onward journey; and
(viii)
is not a child under the age of 18.
(ix)
does not intend to do any of the activities provided for in paragr
aphs 46G (iii), 46M (iii) or
46S (iii); and
(x)
does not, during his visit, intend to marry or form a civil partnership, or to give notice of
marriage or civil partnership; and
(xi)
does not intend to receive private medical treatment during his visit; and
(xii)
is no
t in transit to a country outside the common travel area.

(xiii)
where he is seeking leave to enter as a general visitor to take part in archaeological
excavations, provides a letter from the director or organiser of the excavation stating the
length of their vi
sit and, where appropriate, what arrangements have been made for their
accommodation and maintenance."
Old Apr 13th 2014, 3:36 am
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

There is also this little gem:

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...r_V12.0EXT.pdf
Old Apr 13th 2014, 3:46 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
Just skimmed through this briefly. Who does this apply to - EU country passport holder, US passport holder, or anyone from anywhere? Does anyone entering the UK have do explain what they are there for?
Old Apr 13th 2014, 4:08 am
WhiteRabbit

Originally Posted by Downton Gabby
Just skimmed through this briefly. Who does this apply to - EU country passport holder, US passport holder, or anyone from anywhere? Does anyone entering the UK have do explain what they are there for?
Everybody is always inspected. EU citizens included. My EU husband's passport got a once-over on our last entry because he no longer resembles his passport photo (med changes). The officer held up the passport and looked at the photo - then my husband - then again - and again. Eventually she shrugged and let him in.

My husband says he doesn't recall having been asked why he was entering.

I as a non-EU was specifically asked what I was doing there. I would idly note that on different entries it's been commented (by the officer) that "you have a return ticket so - you are good to go".

The toughest encounter I ever had was not at Heathrow. It was at Dublin and I think that guy was just having a bad day. We had flown straight to Dublin from the US and when he asked me the purpose of my visit, I told him we were flying to the North to see family. I didn't get a 90 day stamp (as you normally would in Ireland). He stamped me in only through the date of my return ticket.

About the link - that is for non EU's. EU citizens have freedom of movement and don't get the grilling. As illustrated by my husband's last experience, UK Border Force is mostly checking legitimacy of documents for EU citizens.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 4:43 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
Well, I don't think it is a forum myth when someone posts they were bounced because they had no return ticket. I've read loads of those posts through the years. I would daresay many commenting in this thread have read similar accounts. That's what forums are for. Anecdotal evidence.
Loads of posts? I have not seen many. Occasionally there might be a situation here or there, but how many others out there have a problem free experience that you never read about?

Entering the U.K. with an intention to travel onward to the Republic of Ireland isn't a common situation, but is not unknown. I'm not for a moment saying that this is a risk free option, and it would generally be preferable to fly to Ireland directly (dealing with one set of immigration officers is always preferable) but is there really a basis for panic at this point?

Here's a messy copy and paste from the PDF. Bolded sections are mine and this is where a return ticket is useful to prove otherwise. "
Useful, yes. Mandatory, no evidence to suggest so.
Note that entry to the U.K. can still be refused even with a return ticket.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 4:44 am
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Just FYI for those reading this, Ireland currently does not allow animals traveling on the same flight as the visitor unless it happens to be the same flight coincidentally used by the Irish-government-approved pet shipper. At least this is true from the US. Preapproved shipper (you can find out which ones are currently approved from the Irish customs website) and many, many forms, and they must enter in Dublin and be inspected by Lissenhall vets upon arrival, but the pet shipper will handle all that and deliver the pet to you if you need it.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 4:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Speedwell
Just FYI for those reading this, Ireland currently does not allow animals traveling on the same flight as the visitor unless it happens to be the same flight coincidentally used by the Irish-government-approved pet shipper. At least this is true from the US. Preapproved shipper (you can find out which ones are currently approved from the Irish customs website) and many, many forms, and they must enter in Dublin and be inspected by Lissenhall vets upon arrival, but the pet shipper will handle all that and deliver the pet to you if you need it.
If I'm not mistaken, Aer Lingus has one company approved for pet shipping, IT'S CALLED PET EXPRESS. Then, if you could get tickets for yourself (rt) and your husband (one way) you could all just get to the airport in Houston and fly to Dublin together and live happily ever after..no issues anywhere!

Wouldn't that be better? Can you pull that off in the time you have left?

Last edited by Downton Gabby; Apr 13th 2014 at 5:52 am. Reason: Correcting the backwards way I wrote ...
Old Apr 13th 2014, 4:58 am
Forum Regular

http://www.aerlingus.com/travelinfor.../specialitems/

About flying / transporting pets
Old Apr 13th 2014, 5:20 am
WhiteRabbit

Originally Posted by JAJ
Loads of posts? I have not seen many. Occasionally there might be a situation here or there, but how many others out there have a problem free experience that you never read about?

Entering the U.K. with an intention to travel onward to the Republic of Ireland isn't a common situation, but is not unknown. I'm not for a moment saying that this is a risk free option, and it would generally be preferable to fly to Ireland directly (dealing with one set of immigration officers is always preferable) but is there really a basis for panic at this point?

Useful, yes. Mandatory, no evidence to suggest so.
Note that entry to the U.K. can still be refused even with a return ticket.
Look, I was wrong when I jumped to my first conclusion about the combination of the OP and her cats and her one-way ticket. Once we got past that, I think what everyone is advising is how to avoid panic.

Yes, I have read lots of posts through the years of bounced people. Both to the UK and to the US. There are two usual reasons - frequent travel and lack of return ticket. Even if there are others who have a problem free experience (and I don't doubt there are), is it not preferable to avoid a problem if we know there is potential for it? Especially when so much is riding on it?

As for what is 'missing' in written regulations, well, sometimes things are vague on purpose. At least that is my life experience. It's then when I exercise the most caution.

I have no dog in this fight - I'm not trying to be "right". OP asked if what she had read was true. From my readings - yes - what she read is possible. No one can guarantee a successful outcome. Beyond that - nothing left to say, I guess.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 5:23 am
Forum Regular

Markie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Speedwell
I can certainly do that. Also, someone recommended talking a travel agent into making one of those "dress rehearsal" type itineraries just for something to show. Eh maybe, I don't know.

(How the heck do you combine quotes into one post? Sorry, folks.)
I think that's probably a good idea, but needs to be presented right. In your shoes, I would say "I've priced this with a travel agent, and if I need to leave Ireland this is how I can leave and I can pay cash for it." Don't present it as if you bought it, they can find out and then you're in a world of hurt.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 12:47 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I have just read pretty much the entire thread. Speedwell, you appear to be seeking absolute assurance for a situation where absolute assurance is impossible. It really doesn't make any difference how many annecdotes you collect saying that it can be done because the individual risk for you and your situation doesn't change, and it remains an unknown and unknowable risk given that it depends largely on the discretion of the British immigration officer.

As in the US, the UK immigration officers have very broad discretion to turn foreign citizens away, and arriving on a one-way ticket is a significant red flag. The greater problem you have is with the BA check-in desk, as they are likely to be more conservative than the UK immigration officers, wanting to avoid a fine and having to fly you back.

The solution to both of the problems has already been mentioned, but I don't think you (Sw) or anyone quoted or commented on it: buy a refundable ticket from Dublin to outside the EU, my tip would be to Boston, as it is in the US and probably as cheap or cheaper than anywhere else from Dublin. Note, it will cost about three times the usual (nonrefundable) economy fare, so probably in the $3,000 ball park. Once you are in the Irish Republic you can cancel it and get it refunded to your credit card; if you have time and flexibility, buy the ticket immediately after you cc statement has been issued and you'll have up to seven weeks to cancel the ticket and get the refund credited back to you account before you have to pay for it.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 13th 2014 at 12:51 pm.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

Isn't my solution easier, less complicated and sure to cause no problems whatsoever? Find a way to get refunded for the already purchased tickets, then fly both ppl and cats on Aer Lingus from Houston to Dublin. Period. Amen.

No one has said anything about this suggestion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.