Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Help! Scared and confused about using one-way ticket

Help! Scared and confused about using one-way ticket

Old Apr 12th 2014, 7:27 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help! Scared and confused about using one-way ticket

Originally Posted by Pollyana
BA's problem is that if you are not accepted in Dublin at the end of the trip they are fined as well as having to pay to fly you back to the US. Its Dublin which is your destination, its their procedures you need to focus on, you are only transiting the UK (at Heathrow).
It is not the procedure in Dublin, but in the Flight Connection Center at LHR. The LHR to DUB flight is a domestic flight. They will clear immigration in the FCC at LHR. BA will need to know that they will be landed there because if the refusal takes place at LHR BA are on the hook.
Old Apr 12th 2014, 7:27 pm
Just Joined

mcm1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Passport control

All passengers arriving on international flights must pass through UK immigration control at Heathrow

This from the official Heathrow site, it might help make your mind up what to do?
Old Apr 12th 2014, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

Markie is an unknown quantity at this point

Here's the deal, you have a non-refundable BA ticket, so what, exactly, do you want us to do? Advise you to lie to an immigration officer at Heathrow? I would argue, and I believe most people here would, that honesty is the best policy. Since you can't change your tickets, that is a sunk cost. All you can do is print out supporting documention for why you expect to be welcome in Ireland and evidence of substantial funds to support yourself for a month or so and evidence of substantial funds to buy a ticket to leave if you are not allowed to remain (that's essential).

Basically, show them the recommended procedure from the DFA, show them you have the money to leave if the DFA doesn't welcome you, and show them your honesty and be clear and complete, without excess words but without dodging questions.
Old Apr 12th 2014, 10:35 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

No, I do not intend to lie.

Yes, I have funds to buy a return ticket if necessary, but I hope it is not necessary.

Lansbury, I believe you, but I'm confused about why London to Dublin is a domestic flight when Dublin is in the ROI. I would understand if it was Belfast.
Old Apr 12th 2014, 11:17 pm
Forum Regular

Downton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond repute

Air Lingus has flights direct from most cities to Dublin. Are you nowhere near a city that has a flight? It sounds like it would be ultimately so much easier for you if you could figure out a way to get refunded, even partially, for the tickets you already have, and then get to an airport with direct to Dublin flights, and get an RT ticket if that would give you more peace of mind and definitely prevent any questioning at either end.

If your cats can go directly to Dublin, why can't you? I may be missing something and if so I'm sorry....

Last edited by Downton Gabby; Apr 12th 2014 at 11:25 pm. Reason: Addition
Old Apr 12th 2014, 11:36 pm
Forum Regular

Markie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Speedwell
No, I do not intend to lie.

Yes, I have funds to buy a return ticket if necessary, but I hope it is not necessary.

Lansbury, I believe you, but I'm confused about why London to Dublin is a domestic flight when Dublin is in the ROI. I would understand if it was Belfast.
I'm not saying BUY a return ticket, just showing UK immigration that you have the means to buy one if you were to get denied further leave to remain in Ireland should help your case.
Old Apr 12th 2014, 11:54 pm
Just Joined

mcm1 is an unknown quantity at this point

London to Dublin is classed as an International flight but from the USA you will still have to clear customs and passport to transit through Heathrow, this is what I think others are saying could be a stumbling block for your situation.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 12:09 am
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

London to Dublin is a domestic flight ONLY for Irish or British passport holders. Because of the CTA. If you aren't British or Irish then you have to clear immigration.

Last edited by rebeccajo; Apr 13th 2014 at 12:12 am.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 12:20 am
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Downton Gabby
Air Lingus has flights direct from most cities to Dublin. Are you nowhere near a city that has a flight? It sounds like it would be ultimately so much easier for you if you could figure out a way to get refunded, even partially, for the tickets you already have, and then get to an airport with direct to Dublin flights, and get an RT ticket if that would give you more peace of mind and definitely prevent any questioning at either end.

If your cats can go directly to Dublin, why can't you? I may be missing something and if so I'm sorry....
No worries. We used BA frequent flier miles to book the tickets from Houston through Heathrow. There isn't any direct flight on BA, and in my experience there is not one on Aer Lingus either. The cats are flying United (boo, but they will be supervised wherever they are on the ground) and they do have a stopover in Chicago.

I was just told (two minutes ago) by an Aer Lingus rep that they, at least, do not care if you buy a one-way ticket. They are partners with BA. The Aer Lingus rep actually said "don't cancel your ticket, they will not give you problems". Of course we all know, the ONE TIME someone has problems, it had better not be you.

I'm thinking of getting a cheap Flybe ticket from Dublin to wherever (refundable if possible). Not sure where though.

Last edited by Speedwell; Apr 13th 2014 at 12:23 am.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 12:26 am
Mouthy Yank

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
London to Dublin is a domestic flight ONLY for Irish or British passport holders. Because of the CTA. If you aren't British or Irish then you have to clear immigration.
I see, that makes sense. So my husband would be considered a domestic flight ordinarily, but he will accompany me through immigration in Heathrow in case they need him or his passport (or even his UK passport). Or whatever they tell us to do.

I've been through immigration at Heathrow lots of times, but only on trips ending in the UK itself or in the Schengen zone. The last time I went to Ireland I did fly United through Chicago, and didn't have any trouble at Dublin even though I told them I was going to see my husband (in Northern Ireland, and this was during the processing of his US green card).

I'm probably worrying over nothing.

Last edited by Speedwell; Apr 13th 2014 at 12:31 am.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 12:28 am
Mouthy Yank

Originally Posted by Markie
I'm not saying BUY a return ticket, just showing UK immigration that you have the means to buy one if you were to get denied further leave to remain in Ireland should help your case.
I can certainly do that. Also, someone recommended talking a travel agent into making one of those "dress rehearsal" type itineraries just for something to show. Eh maybe, I don't know.

(How the heck do you combine quotes into one post? Sorry, folks.)
Old Apr 13th 2014, 12:39 am
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

I see, that makes sense. So my husband would be considered a domestic flight ordinarily, but he will accompany me through immigration in Heathrow in case they need him or his passport (or even his UK passport). Or whatever they tell us to do.

I've been through immigration at Heathrow lots of times, but only on trips ending in the UK itself or in the Schengen zone. The last time I went to Ireland I did fly United through Chicago, and didn't have any trouble at Dublin even though I told them I was going to see my husband (this was during the processing of his US green card).

I'm probably worrying over nothing.
Your husband will still have to clear immigration, Irish or British passport. Because he is coming in on an international flight. He will come through the EU line and you as the spouse of an EU citizen are allowed to go through with him (rather than going through the other longer line).

CTA travel skipping immigration is for those people booked from the UK and going into the Republic. Period. THAT is a true domestic CTA flight. I've been wracking my brain trying to remember when I was allowed to go through this way and it was a flight from Belfast to London. It was a long time ago - probably ten years. We only did passport control. Technically I should not have been allowed through but I wasn't the only blue passport waving myself through.

I do not understand how an answer from Aer Lingus is helpful to you. Are you on Aer Lingus from Houston?
Old Apr 13th 2014, 12:50 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Check with the airline that they will allow you to board with a one way ticket. Get it in writing.

Or...re-arrange your fights. Change planes in the US at an airport that flies directly to Ireland.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 12:53 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I can certainly do that. Also, someone recommended talking a travel agent into making one of those "dress rehearsal" type itineraries just for something to show. Eh maybe, I don't know.

(How the heck do you combine quotes into one post? Sorry, folks.)
Press the tab to the right of the 'quote' tag...it has a square inside it. Press it on every post you wish to quote...then press the quote button.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 1:16 am
Mouthy Yank

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Check with the airline that they will allow you to board with a one way ticket. Get it in writing.

Or...re-arrange your fights. Change planes in the US at an airport that flies directly to Ireland.
Yes, ma'am, first thing Monday morning.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.