Reload this Page >

Help! Please spend 1 minute to answer this question:

Wikiposts

Help! Please spend 1 minute to answer this question:

Old Mar 9th 2011, 11:12 pm
Just Joined

Fang is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help! Please spend 1 minute to answer this question:

Thanks mbike for the link. I've read the story with great interest. I am posting here because I'd like to talk to people who are already living abroad. Sorry if the issue has perhaps very little to do with moving back to the UK.

Thanks the others for your insight. The thing is, my employer is not a profit driven organisation so I don't think cost is a issue here. They are paying the new person nearly double my UK salary (the post is in a developing country where living cost is quite low).

My job is not selling a product, but is building partnership with local organisations to promote the brand. Actually being based in the UK has been an advantage when building relationship with the locals. They are always keen to talk to me either face to face or on the phone.

During the consultation, my line manager said because I didn't apply for the new post, I was made redundant for being based in the UK. He also said he didn't know my role would be redundant when he was recruiting. He actually talked me into moving to his department just 6 months ago painting a bright career prospect for me.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 10:18 am
BE Enthusiast

mbike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond repute

Take the money. Get a good reference and go look for a new job with your head held high. You know what a good job you did there and you can bet they'll miss you when you've gone.

Good luck
Old Mar 11th 2011, 10:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

You cannot be made redundant because you did not apply for a role. A person can never be made redundant only a position can be made redundant if it is no longer required, so what you may and may not have done is irrelevant and your company cannot say things like that to you.

It is common for a new manager to review the team structure and perhaps decide that a position is no longer required. This is what has happened here, if it is all done according to the UK (and the comment above is at odds with that), then I think you should just look to making sure you get the best deal you can and exploring other opportunities within the company which they should assist you with.