Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Help needed RE: importing dog to UK from Canada

Help needed RE: importing dog to UK from Canada

Old Feb 13th 2020, 9:15 pm
Just Joined

sarahow16 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help needed RE: importing dog to UK from Canada

Air Transat told is they don’t fly pets from Canada to the Uk they only fly them out of the UK. Air Canada do. We are currently looking into flying a dog from Toronto to Heathrow. We have been quoted $4000 includes crate snd everything except the Uk fees. We will need to pay an agent to do the uk customs clearance

Last edited by sarahow16; Feb 13th 2020 at 9:18 pm.
Old Feb 14th 2020, 7:09 am
Just Joined

geoeng is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sarahow16
Air Transat told is they don’t fly pets from Canada to the Uk they only fly them out of the UK. Air Canada do. We are currently looking into flying a dog from Toronto to Heathrow. We have been quoted $4000 includes crate snd everything except the Uk fees. We will need to pay an agent to do the uk customs clearance
As pets coming into the UK have to arrive as "cargo", you may have to go through a cargo company rather than directly through the airline. I shipped 2 dogs from Toronto to Manchester and they were on the same Air Transat flight as us, but the booking for the dogs was done entirely through a cargo company with no direct contact with Air Transat itself. This of course was before Air Canada's ongoing attempt to purchase Air Transat, so I'm not sure if anything would have changed as a result of that. The quote doesn't seem entirely unreasonable for a large dog.
Old Feb 14th 2020, 7:41 am
Just Joined

Jmuir is an unknown quantity at this point

I did a lot of research and decided that I didn’t want my dog to fly as cargo. There are a lot of waiting hours at both ends and feel flying them as baggage is quicker and easier on the dogs. If I was flying my dog from Canada trying to get to the UK, I’d go through France and get someone to drive you through the Chunnel. Most humane fastest way And cheapest, in my opinion. Fastest, meaning shortest flight, more travelling with you of course.

Last edited by Jmuir; Feb 14th 2020 at 7:43 am.
Old Feb 15th 2020, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

blokeandbird is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jmuir
I did a lot of research and decided that I didn’t want my dog to fly as cargo. There are a lot of waiting hours at both ends and feel flying them as baggage is quicker and easier on the dogs. If I was flying my dog from Canada trying to get to the UK, I’d go through France and get someone to drive you through the Chunnel. Most humane fastest way And cheapest, in my opinion. Fastest, meaning shortest flight, more travelling with you of course.
Yes other than you missed having to get the dog checked over by a vet in France that has to happen within 24 hours of you landing.You pet is then locked in a car with you for the long drive to the UK.