Reload this Page >

Help needed RE: importing dog to UK from Canada

Help needed RE: importing dog to UK from Canada

Old Oct 2nd 2019, 3:10 am
Just Joined

CumbriaExpat2013 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help needed RE: importing dog to UK from Canada

Hi guys & gals

I have been living in Alberta since 2013 but have recently decided to move back to the UK however I have a dog I need to bring with me. I have been quoted $1995 for a pet relocation company to handle it for me which made my jaw hit the floor (that's more costly than the shipping of my personal belongings).

When I moved here in 2013 I brought my dog with me and didn't use a company and it was pretty straight forward but i'm being led to believe the process is complicated to move her back.

Has anyone done this recently that can offer me any advice please? I really cannot afford to pay that much but if I have no choice I guess il have too
Old Oct 2nd 2019, 4:49 am
Just Joined

Vaseepoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help needed RE: importing dog to UK from Canada

Hi,

We were quoted $4,600 for a full service relocation (including new kennels, pet passports, vaccinations, flights and all handling) for 2 dogs from Calgary to the UK so I think your quote sounds inline with ours.

Shocking to think they cost more than us.

:-)
Old Oct 2nd 2019, 7:26 am
Just Joined

geoeng is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like a good deal to me, I paid about $6,000 to ship two dogs from Toronto and that was just for transport alone with kennels and trips to the vet on top of that. It's far more expensive and complicated to take pets to the UK than the reverse because of the rules for importing them, which requires them to be handled as cargo. Unfortunately it's not as simple as some other countries where you can just call up an airline and ask for some space on the plane for a few hundred dollars. When I looked into it, it was going to be cheaper to fly into France first and then go across to the UK on the train, but that of course comes with its own complicated process. Realistically, it also would have been cheaper just to purchase 10 new dogs upon arriving in the UK , the things you do for your pets.
Old Oct 2nd 2019, 1:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I'm another one that thinks the quote is on the cheap side! I've never heard of a quote that low, so personally I'd be booking it asap.
Old Oct 2nd 2019, 1:51 pm
Just Joined

So what i'm getting from this is that no one would try to navigate the paperwork themselves to save money? It's so frustrating having to dish out all this money during an already expensive time
Old Oct 2nd 2019, 2:13 pm
Just Joined

geoeng is an unknown quantity at this point

I didn't use a pet relocation company - did it all myself (well, technically ourselves). It's time consuming and there's a lot to stay on top of, but the paperwork and everything else can be done without professional assistance. You will, however, need to pay a cargo company to handle and ship the dog and you will also have to pay someone in the UK to act as your agent on that end (I paid them and still don't really know what they do, I think it's honestly just a bit of paperwork). It is stressful and expensive but quickly forgotten after being reunited.
Old Oct 2nd 2019, 3:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CumbriaExpat2013
So what i'm getting from this is that no one would try to navigate the paperwork themselves to save money? It's so frustrating having to dish out all this money during an already expensive time
I assumed your quote was with you doing the paperwork yourself tbh - is that price for the full service and everything taken care of?
Old Oct 2nd 2019, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

Yes that includes her doing all the vet paperwork and the UK import fee's. I agree that it seems like a very reasonable quote, I just imagined I could do it myself so i'm feeling a little disappointed on top of the anguish of deciding to leave Canada
Old Oct 2nd 2019, 7:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately you can only bring animals into the UK as cargo: in most other countries you have the option of bringing them in as baggage which will save you thousands of $$$$. Another way would be to fly into the EU (Dublin, Paris, Amsterdam) with dog as baggage and then take the ferry or train (you'll need a car for the latter) to the UK. You still need to have some paperwork (rabies, worm treatment etc) but your costs will be much lower than importing as cargo. However, I would not risk doing that post Brexit until we know what kind of requirements will be in place for importing animals from the EU. Fingers crossed that nothing changes.
Old Oct 2nd 2019, 8:56 pm
Just Joined

Vaseepoo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CumbriaExpat2013
Yes that includes her doing all the vet paperwork and the UK import fee's. I agree that it seems like a very reasonable quote, I just imagined I could do it myself so i'm feeling a little disappointed on top of the anguish of deciding to leave Canada
Can I ask which company that is? I might get a quote from them they are so reasonable.
Old Oct 2nd 2019, 9:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Vaseepoo

Can I ask which company that is? I might get a quote from them they are so reasonable.
It's Boomerang pet courier located in Calgary
Old Oct 4th 2019, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

brokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond repute

I did bring my small mini pincscher back from the USA to the UK myself. However I will also say it is frustrating and requires a lot of reading. I had a few run in with the vets i used to complete the paperwork as they seemed inexperienced with the process. I am guessing your first port of call is the defra website to find out what the rules are. I found the 10 day window a challenge as I did not live in a city - I lived in a bush Alaska so visits to the vet involved air fares and hotel stays. If you live in a large city it might be worth asking around some vets to see if they can help you gauge timelines etc.
Old Oct 24th 2019, 6:12 am
Just Joined

Jmuir is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, could you please tell me what agent you used and how much they charged? Also the cargo company? thank you.
Old Oct 24th 2019, 3:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jmuir
Hi, could you please tell me what agent you used and how much they charged? Also the cargo company? thank you.
Im using Boomerang pet courier services in Calgary and all in all it will cost me around $2000.

We will be flying with Air Canada
Old Jan 25th 2020, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

blokeandbird is an unknown quantity at this point

We have been quoted 3800 to move our border collie form Toronto to UK.
Another option is to fly into France or Dublin, get a vet to do a once over inside 24 hours and then drive into the UK.
Brexit could cloud this (we move back in May so are watching this).
If you can get someone to pick you up it would be best, one way rental is mental from France to leave in UK.

Try air transat cargo. You cna potentially fly on the same flight as your pet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.