Reload this Page >

HELP: Need UK equivalents of W2's for mortgage

HELP: Need UK equivalents of W2's for mortgage

Old Aug 23rd 2005, 4:01 pm
Living in Milwaukee, USA!

mcjimbo will become famous soon enough
Default HELP: Need UK equivalents of W2's for mortgage

Hi everybody,

I know this is not marriage related, but this is probably the best place to ask as I know a number of you will have the answer.

My wife and I are about to buy a house. However because i've only lived in the U.S. for the past year, they need proof of income in the UK in the form of the UK equivalent of W2's.

Can anyone let me know how I got about getting these? When i worked in the UK I don't think I ever recieved anything like that from my employer.

Thanks in advance

James
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 4:07 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP: Need UK equivalents of W2's for mortgage

Originally Posted by mcjimbo
Hi everybody,
I know this is not marriage related, but this is probably the best place to ask as I know a number of you will have the answer.
My wife and I are about to buy a house. However because i've only lived in the U.S. for the past year, they need proof of income in the UK in the form of the UK equivalent of W2's.
Can anyone let me know how I got about getting these? When i worked in the UK I don't think I ever recieved anything like that from my employer.
Thanks in advance

James
If I rmember correctly that would be your P60
A P60 details your earnings and tax deductions for the current tax year and is provided by your employer...
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 4:07 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everybody,

Thanks in advance

James
James

What you are asking for are the P60 forms. These are provided annually to most full-time employees and are generally printed in bright red ink.

Contact your previous employers in the UK. If you worked for more than employer in a given tax you you should recieve one per employer.
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by nettlebed
James

What you are asking for are the P60 forms. These are provided annually to most full-time employees and are generally printed in bright red ink.

Contact your previous employers in the UK. If you worked for more than employer in a given tax you you should recieve one per employer.
Great thanks everyone... have you ever re-ordered a P60... I don't believe I have mine. Any idea how you go about it?

Thanks

James
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 4:23 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nettlebed
James

Correct - P60 is the UK equivalent of W2, But Incorrect - you (should) only get ONE per year, from the employer you worked for at the tax year end (April). If you don't have/ didnt get, you could ask the employer for a "statement of earnings" on headed paper, and/or contact Inland Revenue to confirm your declared earnings and tax contributions.

As a former payroll guy, I can say, the P60 states " Important, keep this, you cannot get a copy" or words to that effect. Employers will probably not issue duplicates. Its similar to a P45 - which you get that when you leave a job, and you may have used to get a tax refund when leaving UK

Rich.
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by RICHJEN
Correct - P60 is the UK equivalent of W2, But Incorrect - you (should) only get ONE per year, from the employer you worked for at the tax year end (April). If you don't have/ didnt get, you could ask the employer for a "statement of earnings" on headed paper, and/or contact Inland Revenue to confirm your declared earnings and tax contributions.

As a former payroll guy, I can say, the P60 states " Important, keep this, you cannot get a copy" or words to that effect. Employers will probably not issue duplicates. Its similar to a P45 - which you get that when you leave a job, and you may have used to get a tax refund when leaving UK

Rich.
Thats right I think I did use them for Tax refund when i left the UK. So now i'm worried about how to get information.
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 4:35 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Thats right I think I did use them for Tax refund when i left the UK. So now i'm worried about how to get information.
P45 is like an interim p60. Each time you leave a job you get one and give it to the next employer. They send it to the tax office, and at year end (every year) you get one p60 which would show the totals from all employments that year.

If you did a tax claim when you came over, did you get a Statement with your che(que)ck ? That would show the earnings/tax/refund for the current year.

James I cant recall when you got here, Did you work in UK past April 2004?
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 4:37 pm

P45 is like an interim p60. Each time you leave a job you get one and give it to the next employer. They send it to the tax office, and at year end (every year) you get one p60 which would show the totals from all employments that year.

If you did a tax claim when you came over, did you get a Statement with your che(que)ck ? That would show the earnings/tax/refund for the current year.

James I cant recall when you got here, Did you work in UK past April 2004?
Yes I worked in the UK until June 2006. I got a tax refund from that time period, April through June 12.
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 4:37 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

As someone else said, you cannot get a copy of the P60. But you can ask the IR for tax calculations statements for the years you are missing. These will show your earnings, as well as the tax paid.
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 4:46 pm
BE Irregular

Yes I worked in the UK until June 2006. I got a tax refund from that time period, April through June 12.
(you mean june 2004?) Which means you used your "p45" for the tax claim, and the earnings shown on that would have been relatively insignificant anyway.

If you did not get the "p60" for y/e april 2004 (which is possible as some companys take months to issue them), you can ask the employer to send it. If you lost it, ask for a statement of earnings, for as many years as the mortgage people require.

You will not get a P60 for Y/e april 2005 as you were not working for anyone at april 2005
Rich
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 6:18 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Rich.
That's true if you only ever work for one employer at the same time, but on several occasions I worked simultaneously for two employers, and I'm pretty certain that I did receive two P60s. In any case, as you say, they can be difficult to replace.
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 6:19 pm
Shocked of Redmond

Yes I worked in the UK until June 2006.
You must be Billie Piper's replacement, then...