Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

HELP! moving back to the UK!

HELP! moving back to the UK!

Old Aug 24th 2020, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

Ukoneday is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: HELP! moving back to the UK!

Originally Posted by sid nv
Now I am confused. Can someone please explain the 8-year and 15-year rules.
And if one has been abducted by aliens are the rules the same? Of if voluntarily off-planet for say 15 years, how does that work?
My old NI number still seems to work. And the UK govt seem to know where I am, occasionally I receive brown envelopes posted from Malta with forwarded correspondence.
All I have been told is after 15 years you have to re register to vote and register with HMRC.
Old Aug 24th 2020, 5:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ukoneday
All I have been told is after 15 years you have to re register to vote and register with HMRC.
Which would seem logical - to update your information.
Old Aug 24th 2020, 5:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
I'm not sure if the 8 year rule applies to visa holders, but might be worth knowing about.

The OP is a British citizen and NOT a visa holder - and what 8 year rule?
Old Aug 24th 2020, 5:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Now I am confused. Can someone please explain the 8-year and 15-year rules.
And if one has been abducted by aliens are the rules the same? Of if voluntarily off-planet for say 15 years, how does that work?
My old NI number still seems to work. And the UK govt seem to know where I am, occasionally I receive brown envelopes posted from Malta with forwarded correspondence.
There aren't any..... if you are a Brit you just fly home and do all the things necessary to live normally in the UK i.e open a bank account, get a GP, register to vote, register with HRMC if needed, sort out your pension (if you have one)
Old Aug 24th 2020, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
There aren't any..... if you are a Brit you just fly home and do all the things necessary to live normally in the UK i.e open a bank account, get a GP, register to vote, register with HRMC if needed, sort out your pension (if you have one)
I’m not trying to be contrary, but that’s not the experience of our friends who moved back in 2018. They encountered a lot of unforeseen admin and expense.
Old Aug 24th 2020, 6:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I’m not trying to be contrary, but that’s not the experience of our friends who moved back in 2018. They encountered a lot of unforeseen admin and expense.

Yes there is admin and cost to moving back to the UK - but absolutely no restrictions to you actually moving back if you are a Brit with a Brit passport - which is what the original OP asked about.

Last edited by SanDiegogirl; Aug 24th 2020 at 6:13 pm.
Old Aug 24th 2020, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

Yes there is admin and cost to moving back to the UK - but absolutely no restrictions to you actually moving back if you are a Brit with a Brit passport - which is what the original OP asked about.
yes..... thanks for keeping on point. You’re absolutely right :-)

(spent almost a decade in SD myself!)
Old Aug 24th 2020, 6:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

yes..... thanks for keeping on point. You’re absolutely right :-)

(spent almost a decade in SD myself!)

Hot and humid here today......
Old Aug 24th 2020, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
I'm not sure if the 8 year rule applies to visa holders, but might be worth knowing about.
The OP is a British citizen and NOT a visa holder - and what 8 year rule?

Exactly.

I have no idea what mrken is referring to.
Old Aug 25th 2020, 1:49 am
BE Enthusiast

sid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond repute

There seems to be a clue to the 8-year puzzle here:
Lowdown on Tax Issues

Next year is year 8 of my LPR status. I have not yet plucked up courage to read about this new (to me) "exit tax" peril. However there is mention of $2m net worth, so I don't think it's going to be a worry.

Old Aug 25th 2020, 8:06 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Next year is year 8 of my LPR status. I have not yet plucked up courage to read about this new (to me) "exit tax" peril. However there is mention of $2m net worth, so I don't think it's going to be a worry.
It won’t be a concern if your net worth is below $2m.
Old Aug 26th 2020, 6:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/inte...d-ending-dates

I think the 8 year rule only applies to Green Card holders as mentioned in form 8854 (filing for exit taxes)