Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

HELP! moving back to the UK!

HELP! moving back to the UK!

Old Aug 22nd 2020, 6:05 pm
Just Joined

casualchameleon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HELP! moving back to the UK!

Hey, recently thinking about moving back to the UK, I'm a UK citizen just waiting on my passport to renew..

anyways my question is...will i need a special visa to move back? or since im a British citizen with a British passport i can move back anytime? (been in the US for 7 years)

also is there anything special details i need to move back? can i just packup and leave in a day?
Old Aug 22nd 2020, 6:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP! moving back to the UK!

Originally Posted by casualchameleon
Hey, recently thinking about moving back to the UK, I'm a UK citizen just waiting on my passport to renew..

anyways my question is...will i need a special visa to move back? or since im a British citizen with a British passport i can move back anytime? (been in the US for 7 years)

also is there anything special details i need to move back? can i just packup and leave in a day?
Just leave whenever you want to.......
Old Aug 22nd 2020, 6:38 pm
Just Joined

casualchameleon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Just leave whenever you want to.......
ok ty! didnt know if i was gonna get bombarded with a million questions at customs
Old Aug 22nd 2020, 7:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by casualchameleon
ok ty! didnt know if i was gonna get bombarded with a million questions at customs
As long as you have a British passport - no questions.
Old Aug 22nd 2020, 7:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Visas are for foreigners.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travel_visa

Like most of the horrors of life - a modern invention !
Old Aug 23rd 2020, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

Ukoneday is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
As long as you have a British passport - no questions.
just go through the electronic barriers and nobody will even speak to you! The U.K. doesn’t record or count people out of the country so they don’t even know when you left.
if you’ve been gone less than 15 years nobody cares.
Old Aug 23rd 2020, 2:17 pm
Just Joined

klf11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ukoneday
just go through the electronic barriers and nobody will even speak to you! The U.K. doesn’t record or count people out of the country so they don’t even know when you left.
if you’ve been gone less than 15 years nobody cares.
Is there issues if you’ve been gone more than 15 years and want to return?
Old Aug 23rd 2020, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by klf11
no issues you just have to file paperwork for tax and reregister to vote ... that’s what I was told by a friend who moved back in 2018. It may no longer hold I guess.
Old Aug 23rd 2020, 2:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

There are no issues no matter how long you have been away if you are a Brit with a British passport.
Old Aug 23rd 2020, 4:49 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ukoneday
just go through the electronic barriers and nobody will even speak to you! The U.K. doesn’t record or count people out of the country so they don’t even know when you left .....
It's caused census head-scratching for at least 30 years - the UK has a problem keeping track of its population, with apparently relatively largescale emigration of men aged between 20 and 40.

I can't help but think that some anonymized data from the NI and income tax records would prove illuminating, as anyone with an NI number who is below retirement age, where contributions suddenly stop, has either died, is working for cash (or just stopped working), or has left the country.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 23rd 2020 at 4:54 pm.
Old Aug 23rd 2020, 6:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Pulaski the other possibility is that they have been abducted by aliens. Quite common
Old Aug 23rd 2020, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It's caused census head-scratching for at least 30 years - the UK has a problem keeping track of its population, with apparently relatively largescale emigration of men aged between 20 and 40.

I can't help but think that some anonymized data from the NI and income tax records would prove illuminating, as anyone with an NI number who is below retirement age, where contributions suddenly stop, has either died, is working for cash (or just stopped working), or has left the country.
when I first worked at ons as a fast streamer in the late 90s I could not believe the lack of longitudinal data collection ... it was comical ... the way they used to count migrants was the gp records ... because that’s the first thing young migrant men do when they get to the East of england to pick crops ... get registered with a gp ... ha ha
Old Aug 24th 2020, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by klf11
None whatsoever.

We had been out of the country for 29 years in 2016, and our son had been out of the country for 30 years when he returned in 2017.

Being out of the country for so long meant we had a couple of things to do that we would not normally have to do. The NHS numbering system had changed so we had to apply for a new one but were to see a doctor immediately even before the number came through. (I had a prescription to transfer to the U.K.). Our son had never had a NI number so had to apply for one, but started a job before his number came through so no problem.

We had old paper driving licenses but they were renewed with the new picture ones without any bother at all. Our son drove on his US licence until he took and passed a UK driving test.

Last edited by durham_lad; Aug 24th 2020 at 8:12 am.
Old Aug 24th 2020, 4:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure if the 8 year rule applies to visa holders, but might be worth knowing about.
Old Aug 24th 2020, 5:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

sid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond repute

Now I am confused. Can someone please explain the 8-year and 15-year rules.
And if one has been abducted by aliens are the rules the same? Of if voluntarily off-planet for say 15 years, how does that work?
My old NI number still seems to work. And the UK govt seem to know where I am, occasionally I receive brown envelopes posted from Malta with forwarded correspondence.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.