Reload this Page >

Help with locating UK National Insurance Numbers please

Wikiposts

Help with locating UK National Insurance Numbers please

Old Sep 6th 2008, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

Peteusa will become famous soon enoughPeteusa will become famous soon enough
Default Help with locating UK National Insurance Numbers please

Have lived in the USA for the past 14 years, and have recently found out that my wife and I still qualify for our pensions in the UK, even though we haven't paid anything in since we've been away.

My wife was 60 in April of 2007, so she's missed over a year of possible back-payments. I am 64 so I wont have any possible entitlement until May 2009.

My questions are:

How will the Governement arrive at what we're entitled to? Do they have records of the NI payments we both made in the UK before we immigrated?

Most Importantly. How can I find out our NI numbers online?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Pete
Old Sep 6th 2008, 9:05 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with locating UK National Insurance Numbers please

Originally Posted by Peteusa
Have lived in the USA for the past 14 years, and have recently found out that my wife and I still qualify for our pensions in the UK, even though we haven't paid anything in since we've been away.

My wife was 60 in April of 2007, so she's missed over a year of possible back-payments. I am 64 so I wont have any possible entitlement until May 2009.

My questions are:

How will the Governement arrive at what we're entitled to? Do they have records of the NI payments we both made in the UK before we immigrated?

Pete
http://www.thepensionservice.gov.uk/
Old Sep 6th 2008, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Ray, lots of useful info there, but I cant find anything about how the British Government will know what periods we worked during our working lives. I certainly cant tell them precisely.

Also, still cant find where we get hold of our NI numbers on-line (if indeed thats possible).

Pete
Old Sep 6th 2008, 3:31 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Ray, lots of useful info there, but I cant find anything about how the British Government will know what periods we worked during our working lives. I certainly cant tell them precisely.

Also, still cant find where we get hold of our NI numbers on-line (if indeed thats possible).

Pete
You wont be able to ..they wil look it up for you when you give them your last address .. and they know exactly what you paid in ...
and can give you a pension forecast

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/nonresidents/...e_abroad.shtml
Old Sep 6th 2008, 4:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

JoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to all

I used to work for them. Every person has a record sheet, which lists contributions paid, or contributions deemed while on unemployment benefit. It covers periods in full time employment, full time education, maternity benefits, marriage date - everything relevant to entitlements.

They'll easily find your insurance number from your full name, date of birth and last couple of addresses in the UK.

My husband worked about 14 years in England, and will get a small pension.
Old Sep 6th 2008, 10:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

TaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond repute

Try this address. I used it last year and had my NI number in a couple of weeks after being out of the UK for more than 20 years. They're very efficient!

HMRC Center for Non Residents
Room # BP 1301
Benton Park View
Newcastle on Tyne, NE 98 1ZZ
England
Old Sep 7th 2008, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Tara-Joan-Ray, You've been extremely helpfull.

I would like to deal with this totally online if I can, I dont want to have to write unless I have to. Do you think there's any aspect of this which would make that difficult?

If I can, Ray, which area of the application form you posted the link to, do you suggest I/we use?

Pete
Old Sep 7th 2008, 9:22 am
Ray

Thanks Tara-Joan-Ray, You've been extremely helpfull.

I would like to deal with this totally online if I can, I dont want to have to write unless I have to. Do you think there's any aspect of this which would make that difficult?

If I can, Ray, which area of the application form you posted the link to, do you suggest I/we use?

Pete
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/pdfs/ca3638.pdf

You have to complete this form and send ....
you should get a reply in a few weeks
and amazingly its will be posted from Sweden ...
Old Sep 7th 2008, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

Arizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond repute

My questions are:

Pete
Hi Pete,You will have to notify the pensions office in Long Benton Newcastle on Tyne six months before you reach retirement age (Not sure if it will be 65 or 66 years of age for you) They know how much you have paid in and will pro-rate you.They might ask you if you want to pay the 14 years you are missing so that you can collect the full pension.Your wife might lose the last year or so,she should have claimed it at 59 1/2 years old. Have it direct deposit into your bank account here in Phoenix.You will receive the first payment one month after your retirement age.
Old Sep 7th 2008, 9:34 am
Ray

Originally Posted by Arizona Wurzel
Hi Pete,You will have to notify the pensions office in Long Benton Newcastle on Tyne six months before you reach retirement age (Not sure if it will be 65 or 66 years of age for you) They know how much you have paid in and will pro-rate you.They might ask you if you want to pay the 14 years you are missing so that you can collect the full pension.Your wife might lose the last year or so,she should have claimed it at 59 1/2 years old. Have it direct deposit into your bank account here in Phoenix.You will receive the first payment one month after your retirement age.
You only need 30 years contribution for a full pension now ...OP may
already have that
Old Sep 7th 2008, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

Arizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
You only need 30 years contribution for a full pension now ...OP may
already have that
Quite true Ray,I did not know if there was a cut off date for the 30 years or whether this applies to everyone now.
Old Sep 7th 2008, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks again to everyone.

Ray, I see from the form you mentioned that it calls for a signature at the bottom. Its probably a silly question I know, but I take it that means I've got to download it, fill it out, and mail it off? I cant do all online?

Pete
Old Sep 7th 2008, 1:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Ray, I see from the form you mentioned that it calls for a signature at the bottom. Its probably a silly question I know, but I take it that means I've got to download it, fill it out, and mail it off? I cant do all online?

Pete
well errr...it would seem so wouldn't it...and what's wrong with mailing it in? Less than a buck....
Old Sep 7th 2008, 3:13 pm
Ray

Ray, I see from the form you mentioned that it calls for a signature at the bottom. Its probably a silly question I know, but I take it that means I've got to download it, fill it out, and mail it off? IPete
Yes of course ...

Quite true Ray,I did not know if there was a cut off date for the 30 years or whether this applies to everyone now.
Ithink its everybody now
Old Sep 7th 2008, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

TaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond repute

They know how much you have paid in and will pro-rate you.They might ask you if you want to pay the 14 years you are missing so that you can collect the full pension.Your wife might lose the last year or so,she should have claimed it at 59 1/2 years old. Have it direct deposit into your bank account here in Phoenix.You will receive the first payment one month after your retirement age.
Question on this, how does the social security agreement between countries work in terms of the prorating? I thought (and I could well be wrong), that if there is an agreement in place between the UK and the country you've been living in, that they combine your contributions so you don't lose out in the end. Is this true? If so, would this help people avoid having to do the top-up to make the 30-year contribution criteria?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.