British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   HELP! Driving from South Spain to Bristol! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/help-driving-south-spain-bristol-918416/)

EBucky Oct 17th 2018 9:19 pm

HELP! Driving from South Spain to Bristol!

Hi guys!

I have been offered a job in Bristol! πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»
This means there is now a mad dash to get the whole family packed and on our way to our new life.

We have a french bulldog, so we were planning on
driving to Bilbao/Santander , hopping on a boat and going to Portmouth/Plymouth.... But they are all full 😭😱

So, can anyone share their knowledge and experiences
regarding driving through Spain and France
up to Calis? I won't part with my dog as he has special dietary requirements.

Thanks in advanced.
Emily!

verystormy Oct 18th 2018 4:59 am

Re: HELP! Driving from South Spain to Bristol!

Not sure why you don't just fly? It's only a short flight, so not an issue for the dogs diet. Our dog has a special diet and managed Australia to UK without issue.

sherbert Oct 18th 2018 4:28 pm

Snub nose dogs are generally unable to fly due to breathing issues.

EBucky Oct 18th 2018 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by sherbert (Post 12579680)
Snub nose dogs are generally unable to fly due to breathing issues.

Thanks, I couldn't be bothered to have to defend my actions haha

verystormy Oct 19th 2018 4:31 am

Snub nosed dogs can fly. It is just some airlines won't.

EBucky Oct 19th 2018 7:49 am

Originally Posted by verystormy (Post 12579950)
Snub nosed dogs can fly. It is just some airlines won't.

it don't matter, Maybe I can't fly? Maybe I have an illness? Maybe my husband has an illness? I have said I'd like to drive, and I'm asking for help..... so if you can't assist with my request pleasd don't comment

Twitcher1958 Oct 19th 2018 11:14 am

We’ve driven through France quite a number of times, Spain less frequently but found it a straightforward, long, slightly boring drive. Lots of places to stop on French motorways so easy for dog breaks as required. We never bother with booking hotels, just aim for a reasonably large town close to the road and there are always a sprinkling of reasonably priced hotels on hand - Campanile, Formule 1 etc. We don’t have a dog so can’t comme on that aspect.

EBucky Oct 19th 2018 11:21 am

Thank you very much for you comments :) Greatly appreciated.

scrubbedexpat141 Oct 24th 2018 5:33 am

Originally Posted by EBucky (Post 12579998)
it don't matter, Maybe I can't fly? Maybe I have an illness? Maybe my husband has an illness? I have said I'd like to drive, and I'm asking for help..... so if you can't assist with my request pleasd don't comment

You want to be that punchy when you don't know how to drive from one country to another? Good grief.

scot47 Oct 25th 2018 7:35 am

The OP lives in a world where air travel has not yet been invented. I envy he/.him. The world was a better place before the Wright Brothers spoiled it all.