Help with Car Hire/Rental UK

Wikiposts

Help with Car Hire/Rental UK

Old Jul 21st 2009, 6:49 am
Just Joined

FemaleBritCA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help with Car Hire/Rental UK

Hi,

I am returning home to England for 5 months and am unsure what to do re. car hire-it is so very expensive compared to States. Challenges are extended time and I prefer an automatic.
If anyone has any great ideas, would love to hear them. I have done all the usual searches on computer and have emailed several companies that have not emailed back
Appreciate the help.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 7:17 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Help with Car Hire/Rental UK

Originally Posted by FemaleBritCA
Hi,

I am returning home to England for 5 months and am unsure what to do re. car hire-it is so very expensive compared to States. Challenges are extended time and I prefer an automatic.
If anyone has any great ideas, would love to hear them. I have done all the usual searches on computer and have emailed several companies that have not emailed back
Appreciate the help.
Try these, the UK equivalent of "Rent a Wreck".

http://www.cars4rent.co.uk/cars.html

Otherwise, for car rental, try to pick a special. There are sites that will scan all companies for specials, I will try and find one.

Last edited by johnh009; Jul 21st 2009 at 7:19 am.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 7:40 am
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

If I were you I would buy a second hand car,they're cheap enough and for 5 mths,well you can't go wrong!
Old Jul 21st 2009, 7:47 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

I've nearly always used Flexi-Hire......Would definitley recommend them, but not sure they'd have an Automatic....

I have also always managed to barter down the prices expecially when i've needed a car for a few wks.......
Old Jul 21st 2009, 7:59 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by johnh009
Try these, the UK equivalent of "Rent a Wreck".

http://www.cars4rent.co.uk/cars.html

Otherwise, for car rental, try to pick a special. There are sites that will scan all companies for specials, I will try and find one.
Thanks very much, I looked for rent a wreck and was unable to find it.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 8:00 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by livinginreality
If I were you I would buy a second hand car,they're cheap enough and for 5 mths,well you can't go wrong!
Yes, have thought of that and not sure it won't get complicated. Thanks though.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 8:01 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sans
I've nearly always used Flexi-Hire......Would definitley recommend them, but not sure they'd have an Automatic....

I have also always managed to barter down the prices expecially when i've needed a car for a few wks.......
Thanks, I will look into that.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 8:07 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FemaleBritCA
Thanks, I will look into that.
When i came back last yr, i hired a small run about ( cleo) for around 7wks. Its normally £90 per wk including insurance and i got them down to £75....

Best to get one or two quotes and play them off against each other
Old Jul 21st 2009, 8:45 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

There are places set up to sell a used car then buy it back. Don't know any more than that, but I do know they exist and a lot of people use them for long term rentals.

Bev
Old Jul 21st 2009, 6:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bevm
There are places set up to sell a used car then buy it back. Don't know any more than that, but I do know they exist and a lot of people use them for long term rentals.

Bev
Thanks for the info.
Lin
Old Jul 21st 2009, 11:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by livinginreality
This is a great idea. I am surprised how cheap second hand cars are in the UK. You can get something for 500 pounds and then if you have any major problems, just dump it:

www.autotrader.co.uk
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 2:59 am
Pamela 1

Pamela 1 has a spectacular aura aboutPamela 1 has a spectacular aura aboutPamela 1 has a spectacular aura about

We were in UK for 6 months last winter and hired a car for a month while we looked for one to buy. We found one in the local paper a Ford Fiesta '97 which happened to be automatic but most are manual. We paid £1250 and then sold it on gumtree in 3 hours!

We are going over again this winter and have thought of renting the whole time but it is expensive and the company we were with went into administration. OH has found a couple of car hire places but one is Eastbourne and the other near Garwick I think. So not convenient for pick up or drop off. Automatic always cost more.

We are thinking that we'll rent for a month and then once again we might buy a car for the time there, that way you get some money back whereas renting you get nothing. You just have to allow some time to advertise it and sell. Automatics are not as common over there although they can be had.
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 6:29 am
BE Enthusiast

MR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to all

buy one they are so cheap, take your pick from autotrader or gumtree, these cars are always in demand so you will have no problem selling it on, cheap insurance as well.....good luck.....

MR79