Hello you lot!

Old Oct 30th 2008, 10:12 am
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello you lot!

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
Don't you have an email addy?

Listen, they build a mall near almost every suburb here, you can't expect them to want to actually walk around them as well can you?
Have PM'd youxx
Old Oct 30th 2008, 10:13 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
Who? and what you on?
Frick off you

...and light beer.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 10:26 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pommybird
Have PM'd youxx
Got it.

Originally Posted by busterboy
Frick off you

...and light beer.
How much does he weigh? Must be a young'en.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 11:03 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Morning Flea. Morning SGG.

SGG I was just thinking about you yesterday - went to the shops and they've got all their Christmas decs and pressies etc out already and I thought 'Blimey, Chrimbo on it's way already' and then I remembered how much you struggled with Christmas last year in Perth - hope things this year are better for you now.

As for you Flea - where are you girl - still back in Sydney??
Hello PB. Long time no speak!

Yes, sadly, still here, but hopefully going after christmas.

What are you guys up to?
Old Oct 30th 2008, 11:52 am
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Hello PB. Long time no speak!

Yes, sadly, still here, but hopefully going after christmas.

What are you guys up to?
Hey flea - yes I kind of gave up on BE over the summer hols 'cos I was busy with the kids and enjoying holidays in cheap European destinations but I do still pop on from time to time now.

Good to hear you are coming back next year - hope you and the hubby are recuperating well.

As for us - still loving being in the UK - now know we will never return to Oz to live in a million years!! Did have a pie in the sky idea of trying life in Italy for 6 months (we have rellies there and visit often) but that is on hold at the mo due to lack of work out there - maybe one day - but our true home and my heart will always be here in good old Blighty.

Take care my love and keep posting in the Barbie - had a look at that supermarket thread - some of the comments were priceless!!
Old Oct 30th 2008, 11:59 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Hey flea - yes I kind of gave up on BE over the summer hols 'cos I was busy with the kids and enjoying holidays in cheap European destinations but I do still pop on from time to time now.

Good to hear you are coming back next year - hope you and the hubby are recuperating well.

As for us - still loving being in the UK - now know we will never return to Oz to live in a million years!! Did have a pie in the sky idea of trying life in Italy for 6 months (we have rellies there and visit often) but that is on hold at the mo due to lack of work out there - maybe one day - but our true home and my heart will always be here in good old Blighty.

Take care my love and keep posting in the Barbie - had a look at that supermarket thread - some of the comments were priceless!!
Thanks hun!

Dont you be leaving blighty. Its your home
Old Nov 4th 2008, 1:06 am
Forum Regular

sonandbill has much to be proud ofsonandbill has much to be proud ofsonandbill has much to be proud ofsonandbill has much to be proud ofsonandbill has much to be proud ofsonandbill has much to be proud ofsonandbill has much to be proud ofsonandbill has much to be proud ofsonandbill has much to be proud ofsonandbill has much to be proud ofsonandbill has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by TraceyW
Well, it's me, back in good old Blighty at long last! Now, this may be a long one, so if you're easily bored by inane drivvel, sign off now! If not, grab a cuppa and settle in for what could be a long one.....

For those of you that don't know me or my Australian story, hubby, two small kiddies and myself moved over to Perth in July 2004. The reason we did this was because a) it was hubby's dream as he'd backpacked many years ago and fallen in love with the place, and b) I'd watched Shirley Valentine wayyyyy too many times and I was a stuck at home housewife going slightly mental with talking to the walls "Christ Trace, you're only 38, get out and live a bit". So, off to Oz we went.

I think I knew, deep down in my heart, within the first few weeks of landing that I didn't connect with the place at all. I tried over the years to feel at home, to make a life for us all over there, but it was as if I'd left my heart back in England. I missed my family so much, and e-mails and phone calls just didn't cut it and certainly didn't compensate for a hug off my Mum or seeing the kids spend that precious time with their ageing grandparents. I'd always wondered, prior to emigrating, how we'd deal with family illness whilst we were so many miles away, and I was to find out in July 2005 when my beloved Dad passed away due to brain cancer. Nothing, and I mean nothing, can prepare you for the range of emotions and shear feeling of helplessness that overwhelm you at a time like that. And, no amount of sunshine or beautiful beaches and living space can fill the void.

I returned from the UK, having sorted out funeral arrangements etc and threw myself back into life in Oz. I am very proud to say I am now the owner of a Bachelor of Education degree thanks to Australia, that's one thing I will always be very grateful for. I made some very good friends there, and also lost a few not so good friends too . I realised just how materialistic some people can be and just how unmaterialistic I was. None of that glitz and shiny stuff impressed me, it has no soul, no character and did not make me willing to replace my family back in the UK with it.

Now, my husband on the other hand, loved his life in Oz, as did our two children. They were all very settled in their lives which obviously added to my utter desperation as I not only had to deal with the gut wrenching feelings of homesickness, I also had to deal with awful feelings of guilt at wanting to move my very happy family back to the UK. I battled with this for years, I even considered moving to another state in Oz wondering whether it was just Perth I disliked. I toddled off on rekkies to Melbourne, Sydney and the Gold Coast, lovely times were had, but I still didn't want to live in any of them.

By the end of 2007 I just couldn't do it anymore. My wonderful husband agreed to move back to the UK He said he couldn't see me sad anymore.

So, here we are. Living in South Devon, in a house that needs a serious amount of TLC but boasts the most amazing views of Dartmoor to compensate it's interior ugliness!

We have only been home for a few weeks and boy, it's been a rollercoaster ride. I assumed, stupidly, I would get off the plane and kiss the ground Pope style I would be so relieved to be home. Not! I can honestly say, in those first few days, if someone had offered me a plane ticket back to Oz I would've grabbed at the chance. I was completely overwhelmed with feelings of "WTF have I done?" it was all too much to take in. However, a few weeks in and things are starting to settle down. The kids are into school now and doing ok. Hubby has started his training course and loving every minute of it. I cannot work until I have my UK police records check. Oh, that reminds me to tell you, the red tape over here is just as silly as in Oz and getting anything done...like the phone connected or the internet put on....takes FOREVER! I'm sat on my Mums computer typing this as we're still not connected at home!

Being around family again, and having that choice of whether to see them or not is priceless. The kids just keep hugging the grandparents and are constantly asking when they will see them again. It's as if they're frightened they will go away again, like they always did in Oz.

The walks we've done through woodlands and riversides have taken our breaths away, literally! The beauty of this place cannot be matched I don't think. We are looking at the UK through new eyes, with a greater appreciation of the things this country does well. People have asked me why I came back. I refuse to go into a longwinded explanation with them as they wouldn't understand unless they'd lived my Australian life. So I just say "Family" and they seem to let it go and understand.

It is early days for us here, but I can honestly say now those first few crazy days are behind us, hand on heart, if I could turn the clocks back and go back to Aus would I go? No. I no longer wake up with that ache in my stomach of being in a country where I never felt that I belonged. Now I'm home and this is where I do belong. This is my country and I'm very very proud to say that.

For those of you wondering what to do, stay or go, follow your heart. It's usually the right choice.
hye how long does it take to get a police check I am a teacher coming back from nz and want to work asp on my return to uk . Would i be better getting one from here or wouild they still get one form here anyway?
Old Nov 4th 2008, 3:02 am
Account Closed

deborahjane is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Tracy W

Enjoyed reading your thread. It could have been me writing that as our stories are similar!

We moved out to Perth in October 2004 and from the start I knew I had made the wrong move.

My Dad was ill with a stroke within 3 weeks of us being here and then a week later my Mum had to go in Hospital for an operation. They told us not to come back to help out as we had only just gone and although I am lucky to have Brothers and Sisters to help out I really wanted to be there. Luckily both recovered well although my Dad suffered a heart attack the following year (not fatal I am pleased to say).

We have been lucky to have been able to go back each year we have lived here and every time I have wanted to stay.

Like you my Hubby could have carried on here and the children were settling although my youngest, now 9, has always said he has wanted to go back home.

We thought of moving over East to see if it would be better but instead just ended up moving to a new area here in Perth. That was a bad move as we should have gone back home.

Since then my Hubby has tired of it here and is bored and wants to get back to the UK, my eldest (now nearly 17) has grown to dislike it here and feels there is more out there for her than there will ever be here. She wants university back in the UK and to be able to travel around Europe. Even my other girl (now 14) who was quite happy here feels the same.

We are at last going back on 7th January to Exeter in North Devon, so not far from you and it sounds lovely where you are. My Daughter is looking forward to horse riding around Dartmoor.

All going back 100% happy to be going back and can't wait!

I haven't done any courses here but I have passed my driving test so got something out of being here!

Have a great Xmas in the Uk and carry on enjoying your life back home.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 8:57 am
You'll learn............

Desperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of light

Must just tell you guys about my first, long anticipated and looked forward to, trip to Tesco's superstore not far from us.....

It was the day after we'd arrived and I really really wanted to go and experience that bustling shopping thing. So off I toddled to Tesco's on a Saturday arvo. Big mistake. Big. Huge! I honestly think I was on the verge of a panic attack there were so many people and the place was just gigantic with so much choice. No more 2 or 3 choices of bolognaise sauces mate, there's a whole bloody shelf. There's travelators up and down, aisles and aisles of variety and a million darn checkouts (o.k, slight exageration there but you get the gist!) After sleep Perth, limited choices in tiny Coles, it was a bloody shock to the system I can tell you.

But now I feel I have assimilated once more into the wonderful world of variety. I am grabbing BOGOF's at every opportunity, whether we need them or not, the novelty factor is just amazing.

Oh, and then there's Monsoon and Next and M & S .....! Sorry folks
Hi Tracey

sent you a pm.....

Lol - I have been back 6 months now and still have to breath into a paper bag before shopping in Tesco!!!! God help us a Christmas. I alternate between Tesco Net and going in the store, I couldn't cope going in every week

Loving every single glorious minute of being back, with too many reasons to go into, but some things deserve a mention - the Autumn colours are amazing and Halloween and Bonfire Night (which we went to on Saturday and was unbelievably cold!!) were simply fab.

Hope it all goes well

</IMG></IMG>
Old Nov 8th 2008, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

lickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to all

On the subject of food, is it just me or are the veggies out here almost dead when they arrive on the shelves. I bought some carrots 3 days ago and when I went to use them today I could bend them in half without snapping them they were so soggy. I thought I would come to OZ and eat beautiful organic healthy friut and veg. Instead if I manage to fing an organic shop its either so expensive or as their turn over is so slow its all sprouting where it shouldnt be and looks like its been there for months!! I used to buy organic food at Sainsburys and it was much cheaper and much much fresher. I Cant understand it, I presume they do grow the friut and veg here in OZ so why is it almost dead. Is the climate here so dry they ship it in from overseas??
Old Nov 9th 2008, 1:25 am
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lickylady
On the subject of food, is it just me or are the veggies out here almost dead when they arrive on the shelves. I bought some carrots 3 days ago and when I went to use them today I could bend them in half without snapping them they were so soggy. I thought I would come to OZ and eat beautiful organic healthy friut and veg. Instead if I manage to fing an organic shop its either so expensive or as their turn over is so slow its all sprouting where it shouldnt be and looks like its been there for months!! I used to buy organic food at Sainsburys and it was much cheaper and much much fresher. I Cant understand it, I presume they do grow the friut and veg here in OZ so why is it almost dead. Is the climate here so dry they ship it in from overseas??
Ive noticed the same even when you put them in the fridge they just don't last esp carrots

Desperate House Flies good to see your still here i remember reading your update of when you went home and the part were you said you were having a coffee with your mum still stands out in my mind I'm longing to be home showing off my new baby girl and watching them enjoy her soon i guess.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

bramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to behold

Hi
Just had to jump in here and say that the veg are the same here in France, I too thought that I would have brightly coloured fresh veg when we got here but everything seems to be on it's last legs when you buy it.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

bramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to behold

Well, it's me, back in good old Blighty at long last! Now, this may be a long one, so if you're easily bored by inane drivvel, sign off now! If not, grab a cuppa and settle in for what could be a long one.....

For those of you that don't know me or my Australian story, hubby, two small kiddies and myself moved over to Perth in July 2004. The reason we did this was because a) it was hubby's dream as he'd backpacked many years ago and fallen in love with the place, and b) I'd watched Shirley Valentine wayyyyy too many times and I was a stuck at home housewife going slightly mental with talking to the walls "Christ Trace, you're only 38, get out and live a bit". So, off to Oz we went.

I think I knew, deep down in my heart, within the first few weeks of landing that I didn't connect with the place at all. I tried over the years to feel at home, to make a life for us all over there, but it was as if I'd left my heart back in England. I missed my family so much, and e-mails and phone calls just didn't cut it and certainly didn't compensate for a hug off my Mum or seeing the kids spend that precious time with their ageing grandparents. I'd always wondered, prior to emigrating, how we'd deal with family illness whilst we were so many miles away, and I was to find out in July 2005 when my beloved Dad passed away due to brain cancer. Nothing, and I mean nothing, can prepare you for the range of emotions and shear feeling of helplessness that overwhelm you at a time like that. And, no amount of sunshine or beautiful beaches and living space can fill the void.

I returned from the UK, having sorted out funeral arrangements etc and threw myself back into life in Oz. I am very proud to say I am now the owner of a Bachelor of Education degree thanks to Australia, that's one thing I will always be very grateful for. I made some very good friends there, and also lost a few not so good friends too . I realised just how materialistic some people can be and just how unmaterialistic I was. None of that glitz and shiny stuff impressed me, it has no soul, no character and did not make me willing to replace my family back in the UK with it.

Now, my husband on the other hand, loved his life in Oz, as did our two children. They were all very settled in their lives which obviously added to my utter desperation as I not only had to deal with the gut wrenching feelings of homesickness, I also had to deal with awful feelings of guilt at wanting to move my very happy family back to the UK. I battled with this for years, I even considered moving to another state in Oz wondering whether it was just Perth I disliked. I toddled off on rekkies to Melbourne, Sydney and the Gold Coast, lovely times were had, but I still didn't want to live in any of them.

By the end of 2007 I just couldn't do it anymore. My wonderful husband agreed to move back to the UK He said he couldn't see me sad anymore.

So, here we are. Living in South Devon, in a house that needs a serious amount of TLC but boasts the most amazing views of Dartmoor to compensate it's interior ugliness!

We have only been home for a few weeks and boy, it's been a rollercoaster ride. I assumed, stupidly, I would get off the plane and kiss the ground Pope style I would be so relieved to be home. Not! I can honestly say, in those first few days, if someone had offered me a plane ticket back to Oz I would've grabbed at the chance. I was completely overwhelmed with feelings of "WTF have I done?" it was all too much to take in. However, a few weeks in and things are starting to settle down. The kids are into school now and doing ok. Hubby has started his training course and loving every minute of it. I cannot work until I have my UK police records check. Oh, that reminds me to tell you, the red tape over here is just as silly as in Oz and getting anything done...like the phone connected or the internet put on....takes FOREVER! I'm sat on my Mums computer typing this as we're still not connected at home!

Being around family again, and having that choice of whether to see them or not is priceless. The kids just keep hugging the grandparents and are constantly asking when they will see them again. It's as if they're frightened they will go away again, like they always did in Oz.

The walks we've done through woodlands and riversides have taken our breaths away, literally! The beauty of this place cannot be matched I don't think. We are looking at the UK through new eyes, with a greater appreciation of the things this country does well. People have asked me why I came back. I refuse to go into a longwinded explanation with them as they wouldn't understand unless they'd lived my Australian life. So I just say "Family" and they seem to let it go and understand.

It is early days for us here, but I can honestly say now those first few crazy days are behind us, hand on heart, if I could turn the clocks back and go back to Aus would I go? No. I no longer wake up with that ache in my stomach of being in a country where I never felt that I belonged. Now I'm home and this is where I do belong. This is my country and I'm very very proud to say that.

For those of you wondering what to do, stay or go, follow your heart. It's usually the right choice.
Hi Tracy

I am so pleased to hear that you made it home, you were always the one that was quick to support others yet you were going through your own very difficult time.

Take care x
Old Nov 11th 2008, 1:18 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

This post made me smile. If you had posted this in the Barbie you would have been shot down in flames or told you are buying your veg in all the wrong places. Well I sure as hell wish I could find somewhere I could buy decent fruit, salad and vegetables, I'd drive miles for the privilege. I buy at least 3 cucumbers. 2 kilos of tomatoes. 4 punnets of cherry tom's and 2 lettuce a week and no matter where I buy them, the fresh markets, Coles, Woolies or IGA, they are virtually all tasteless. The cu's have skins as tough as leather boots, have no smell and no taste, the tomatoes are either soft or under ripe and tasteless and the lettuce are brown round the edges. The only thing with any taste lately has been the cherry tom's, but even that is pot luck. I bought a bunch of baby carrots last Thursday and by Sunday, they were limp. I am so sick of it. I have jugs of water in my fridge with carrots and celery in to try to bring them to life. WTF! I spent $79 at the fresh markets last Sunday and already I've thrown ½ an aubergine, some apples, an avocado, some mushrooms and a couple of tomatoes in the bin.

Originally Posted by bramblebush
Hi
Just had to jump in here and say that the veg are the same here in France, I too thought that I would have brightly coloured fresh veg when we got here but everything seems to be on it's last legs when you buy it.
Hello stranger, nice to see you. How's life?
Old Nov 11th 2008, 7:39 am
Forum Regular

Hello stranger, nice to see you. How's life?[/QUOTE]

Hi, lovely to hear from you, life is still very up in the air.

I will post an update.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.