Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Hello: I'm so glad I found you all

Hello: I'm so glad I found you all

Old Jul 19th 2007, 12:38 pm
  #46  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 153
Cam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Hello: I'm so glad I found you all

Originally Posted by Triboy
Never. I take great pride in walking through the supermarket asking my wife if we need any peppers or aubergines or yoghurt
That's funny. There used to be guy on here called FPM who did exactly the same thing.

But he would also tell his Korean wife in a loud voice, "Don't buy anything Australian - it's all crap". (Only when there were plenty of Aussies around of course.)

And then in the checkout queue he'd make comments to his wife about how stupid Australians are.

Maybe you too can try those ploys. Must be good for a laugh.
Cam1977 is offline  
Old Jul 19th 2007, 12:42 pm
  #47  
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 330
Triboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hello: I'm so glad I found you all

Originally Posted by Cam1977
That's funny. There used to be guy on here called FPM who did exactly the same thing.

But he would also tell his Korean wife in a loud voice, "Don't buy anything Australian - it's all crap". (Only when there were plenty of Aussies around of course.)

And then in the checkout queue he'd make comments to his wife about how stupid Australians are.

Maybe you too can try those ploys. Must be good for a laugh.
Oooer, I'm not that bad. (I don't think I'm that brave either!)
Triboy is offline  
Old Jul 19th 2007, 12:55 pm
  #48  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Back home :)
Posts: 1,706
birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello: I'm so glad I found you all

Originally Posted by Triboy
Interesting in the same way you poke those blobby things at seaside rockpool with a stick. Then you find out they don't do much, say much or think much, so you move on to converse with something more interesting. Like a donkey with a straw hat.



how have you managed 20 years of it & maintained your brain????
You deserve a big fat gold star
birdynumnum is offline  
Old Jul 19th 2007, 1:09 pm
  #49  
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 330
Triboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hello: I'm so glad I found you all

Originally Posted by birdynumnum


how have you managed 20 years of it & maintained your brain????
You deserve a big fat gold star
A combination of UKTV, British music, not buying into the Aussie hype and fighting the overwhelming desire to leap under a bus everytime I think about how much time I've wasted here.
Triboy is offline  
Old Jul 19th 2007, 1:36 pm
  #50  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Back home :)
Posts: 1,706
birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello: I'm so glad I found you all

Originally Posted by Triboy
A combination of UKTV, British music, not buying into the Aussie hype and fighting the overwhelming desire to leap under a bus everytime I think about how much time I've wasted here.

Ahhhh ..
I've even started watching midsomer murders (ssshhhh, dont tell on me)..sad or what!! Grand Designs bought tears to my eyes the other day too
Dont know what music you like but amongst many...
The Kooks
The Coral
Alabama 3 (Exile on coldharbour lane in particular)

if you want some sending let me know asap & I'll sort you a rescue pack of cd's (packing the 'puter away in next few days)

Last edited by birdynumnum; Jul 19th 2007 at 1:46 pm.
birdynumnum is offline  
Old Jul 19th 2007, 1:48 pm
  #51  
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 330
Triboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hello: I'm so glad I found you all

Originally Posted by birdynumnum
Ahhhh ..
I've even started watching midsomer murders (ssshhhh, dont tell on me)..sad or what!! Grand Designs bought tears to my eyes the other day too
Dont know what music you like but amongst many...
The Kooks
The Coral
Alabama 3 (Exile on coldharbour lane in particular)

if you want some sending let me know asap & I'll sort you a rescue pack of cd's (packing the 'puter away in next few days)
ooh nice, I'll PM you. I play a bit of guitar (not lately as I have a big race in Qld coming up in Aug). So my music is mostly guitar based, but I like:

Radiohead
Muse
Arctic Monkeys
Morcheeba
Smiths
Cult
Coldplay

(guess I'm a bit old school)

Lily Allen makes me laugh as well (bit I'm a bit old for that kind of music)


I like Mid Somer murders. Also a sucker for Frost, D&P, Jonathon Creek etc but I think Cracker and Wire in the Blood are my faves.
Triboy is offline  
Old Jul 19th 2007, 2:14 pm
  #52  
I don't give a damn
 
Fleaflyfloflum's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: In the arms of my family. Heaven...
Posts: 4,980
Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello: I'm so glad I found you all

Originally Posted by Triboy
Aussie men are like those weird reptiles you see in the pet shop. Curious and interesting for a while, but you wouldn't want to own one
PMSL

I am the only woman in my department at work. I look forward to using that line tomorrow
Fleaflyfloflum is offline  
Old Jul 19th 2007, 2:23 pm
  #53  
Life is more than a dream
 
LouiseD's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Kings Moss, UK - it's a bit like Emmerdale
Posts: 1,389
LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello: I'm so glad I found you all

Originally Posted by Triboy
Hi,

Glad I found this place and some like minded people. I've been living in Australia for quite a few years, but am becoming increasingly unhappy here, and plan to move home next year with my wife.

Anyway just thought I'd say hello. Congratulations on realising how truly great our country is. It's like a club eh?

Hope I can contribute in some small way
Welcome to the club Triboy - hope you acheive your dream of getting home soon

Originally Posted by birdynumnum

Me 2. I went out y'day & walked to the lighthouse at byron, saw whales, had morning coffee with chums etc, actually started taking piccies etc.
I even started wondering on the move & feeling quite sad about going.
I know its only as I'm leaving a nice place to live (for a while) and some lovely chums. Funny the mind, well mine is


x
I had exactly the same feelings when we visited the Great Ocean Road just before we left. Hubby looked at me and asked "why are we leaving all this". I replied to him that trips like that just aren't the norm - it's the everyday feelings that makes you want to go home - out of 365 days in the year, I think I was probably truly happy for about 15 of them. The other 350 I missed home.

I look at the piccies now and even have some on my screensaver - while I don't miss the place at all, I can look back on the nice days with fondness and think I will visit again one day.
LouiseD is offline  
Old Jul 19th 2007, 5:21 pm
  #54  
Jedi Princess
 
kiwi_child's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Melbourne,Australia
Posts: 2,089
kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello: I'm so glad I found you all

Originally Posted by birdynumnum
Ahhhh ..
I've even started watching midsomer murders (ssshhhh, dont tell on me)..sad or what!!
I watch Midsomer Murders too, and Inspector Lynley, Taggart, etc
kiwi_child is offline  
Old Jul 20th 2007, 1:48 am
  #55  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Back home :)
Posts: 1,706
birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello: I'm so glad I found you all

Originally Posted by LouiseD
Welcome to the club Triboy - hope you acheive your dream of getting home soon



I had exactly the same feelings when we visited the Great Ocean Road just before we left. Hubby looked at me and asked "why are we leaving all this". I replied to him that trips like that just aren't the norm - it's the everyday feelings that makes you want to go home - out of 365 days in the year, I think I was probably truly happy for about 15 of them. The other 350 I missed home.

I look at the piccies now and even have some on my screensaver - while I don't miss the place at all, I can look back on the nice days with fondness and think I will visit again one day.
Its funny isnt it Louise.
I actually do love where I am in many ways but its boring too.
I do see the lighthouse everyday, tis a lovely spot & although I dont pine for UK continually but I do know its where I want to be. I know I''ll miss stuff here (sun, palms, warmth etc) but that doesnt mean I want to live here. Thats what I keep reminding myself. Whole host of reasons to go.....just plays with your emotions this malarky
Hope the rains stopped for you
xx
birdynumnum is offline  
Old Jul 20th 2007, 1:48 am
  #56  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Back home :)
Posts: 1,706
birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello: I'm so glad I found you all

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
I watch Midsomer Murders too, and Inspector Lynley, Taggart, etc
I hope you dont watch the bill
birdynumnum is offline  
Old Jul 20th 2007, 1:50 am
  #57  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Back home :)
Posts: 1,706
birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello: I'm so glad I found you all

Originally Posted by Triboy
ooh nice, I'll PM you. I play a bit of guitar (not lately as I have a big race in Qld coming up in Aug). So my music is mostly guitar based, but I like:

Radiohead
Muse
Arctic Monkeys
Morcheeba
Smiths
Cult
Coldplay

(guess I'm a bit old school)

Lily Allen makes me laugh as well (bit I'm a bit old for that kind of music)


I like Mid Somer murders. Also a sucker for Frost, D&P, Jonathon Creek etc but I think Cracker and Wire in the Blood are my faves.

Good taste
Ok...I'll do some today.
Pm me an address & I'll pop some tunes in the post for you
birdynumnum is offline  
Old Jul 20th 2007, 2:52 am
  #58  
BE Forum Addict
 
rabsody's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 3,521
rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello: I'm so glad I found you all

Originally Posted by birdynumnum
Its funny isnt it Louise.
I actually do love where I am in many ways but its boring too.
I do see the lighthouse everyday, tis a lovely spot & although I dont pine for UK continually but I do know its where I want to be. I know I''ll miss stuff here (sun, palms, warmth etc) but that doesnt mean I want to live here. Thats what I keep reminding myself. Whole host of reasons to go.....just plays with your emotions this malarky
Hope the rains stopped for you
xx
oh birdy, reading between the lines you do sound like you are going through it a bit at the moment - the questioning whether you are doing the right thing phase. i can imagine i'd be exactly the same if ever i got the chance to go back to uk as it's such a big step (and where you are now is great, i love the lighthouse!).

but hey, keep thinking about all that interesting conversation and decent blokes!!!

i was talking to my pommy doc about this yesterday, she'd been here 40 years and said once you've lived in both countries you never truly feel like you belong in either. i agree, it's the lot of the expat i think.

karma sent and all the best for the next few days. i bet once you start getting packed up a bit more it will all start getting more real and more exciting!!!

p.s. sorry to OP for hogging thread!!
rabsody is offline  
Old Jul 20th 2007, 3:02 am
  #59  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Back home :)
Posts: 1,706
birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello: I'm so glad I found you all

Originally Posted by rabsody
oh birdy, reading between the lines you do sound like you are going through it a bit at the moment - the questioning whether you are doing the right thing phase. i can imagine i'd be exactly the same if ever i got the chance to go back to uk as it's such a big step (and where you are now is great, i love the lighthouse!).

but hey, keep thinking about all that interesting conversation and decent blokes!!!

i was talking to my pommy doc about this yesterday, she'd been here 40 years and said once you've lived in both countries you never truly feel like you belong in either. i agree, it's the lot of the expat i think.

karma sent and all the best for the next few days. i bet once you start getting packed up a bit more it will all start getting more real and more exciting!!!

p.s. sorry to OP for hogging thread!!

cheers mate x
birdynumnum is offline  
Old Jul 20th 2007, 9:12 am
  #60  
Jedi Princess
 
kiwi_child's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Melbourne,Australia
Posts: 2,089
kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello: I'm so glad I found you all

Originally Posted by birdynumnum
I hope you dont watch the bill
Oh I do! Should I be ?

I see someone mentioned cracker, great show. I also really liked Frost and Inspector Morse. Guess I just like Brit drama esp crime type shows. David Jason was just bloody excellent in Frost I thought. So too Robbie Coltrane in Cracker. John Thaw was always good in anything he did, The Sweeney, IM, Cavanagh QC.

Were some different but very good for their time dramas too, like Rock Follies and Bouquet of Barbed Wire.

Last edited by kiwi_child; Jul 20th 2007 at 9:16 am.
kiwi_child is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.