Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Heathcare access with preexisting conditions

Heathcare access with preexisting conditions

Old Sep 30th 2022, 4:27 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Heathcare access with preexisting conditions

Hi, I am wondering about getting appointments for preexisting conditions.We can take 3 month worth of medications back and register with a GP but what about hospital appointments? Any experience? would we go to the back of the wait list or be seen fairly soon. The answer is probably dependent on where we move to but we would need cardiac fairly urgently.
Old Sep 30th 2022, 5:03 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Heathcare access with preexisting conditions

In theory you’ll be prioritised based on need, but yes, the postcode lottery will determine how quickly you’ll actually be seen.
Old Sep 30th 2022, 5:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

tdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond repute

My understanding (others can correct me as necessary):
1. You'd be treated, including pre-existing conditions, according to need rather than go to the back of the queue. There can be a postcode (i.e. location) lottery, as waiting lists are longer in some locations than others. You'd hope that urgent treatment would be available promptly.
2. If you're non-resident, you should pay for any treatment.
https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/visi...g-from-abroad/
3. If you move back to the UK permanently, you're resident from day 1.

To register with a GP, you'll need proof of identity (e.g. passport) and proof of address. In there is a delay registering, there are walk-in medical centres offering GP services.
Old Oct 1st 2022, 1:39 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
In theory you’ll be prioritised based on need, but yes, the postcode lottery will determine how quickly you’ll actually be seen.
Originally Posted by tdrinker
My understanding (others can correct me as necessary):
1. You'd be treated, including pre-existing conditions, according to need rather than go to the back of the queue. There can be a postcode (i.e. location) lottery, as waiting lists are longer in some locations than others. You'd hope that urgent treatment would be available promptly.
2. If you're non-resident, you should pay for any treatment.
https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/visi...g-from-abroad/
3. If you move back to the UK permanently, you're resident from day 1.

To register with a GP, you'll need proof of identity (e.g. passport) and proof of address. In there is a delay registering, there are walk-in medical centres offering GP services.
Thank you, it's as i suspected, hoped
Old Oct 1st 2022, 7:09 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Hi, I am wondering about getting appointments for preexisting conditions.We can take 3 month worth of medications back and register with a GP but what about hospital appointments? Any experience? would we go to the back of the wait list or be seen fairly soon. The answer is probably dependent on where we move to but we would need cardiac fairly urgently.
This is my experience but as stated above it will depend on the particular NHS Trust’s waiting list and the severity of your condition. My experience was also pre-Covid.

We arrived back end of January 2017 and in the December before, I had my last appointment with my cardiologist in the USA. I have paroxysmal Afib and episodes made me feel dizzy, heart rate elevated during the episodes but below 100bpm. I registered with a GP, made an appointment and brought in my prescription and paper copies of my records. The doctor immediately issued a repeat prescription and referred me to the arrhythmia clinic at the local hospital. Long story short, 20 months later I had a heart ablation and have been fine ever since.
Old Oct 1st 2022, 3:09 pm
limey party pooper

Originally Posted by durham_lad
This is my experience but as stated above it will depend on the particular NHS Trust’s waiting list and the severity of your condition. My experience was also pre-Covid.

We arrived back end of January 2017 and in the December before, I had my last appointment with my cardiologist in the USA. I have paroxysmal Afib and episodes made me feel dizzy, heart rate elevated during the episodes but below 100bpm. I registered with a GP, made an appointment and brought in my prescription and paper copies of my records. The doctor immediately issued a repeat prescription and referred me to the arrhythmia clinic at the local hospital. Long story short, 20 months later I had a heart ablation and have been fine ever since.
Thats exactly what my husband has. He had a successful cryoablation in December but it seems to have come back early, apparently it always comes back, may be a few months may be decades. Anyway he's on evil blood thinners and had a stroke three weeks ago. He recovered well, can now walk and talk, but this is what has prompted him to want to go back.
Old Oct 1st 2022, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Thats exactly what my husband has. He had a successful cryoablation in December but it seems to have come back early, apparently it always comes back, may be a few months may be decades. Anyway he's on evil blood thinners and had a stroke three weeks ago. He recovered well, can now walk and talk, but this is what has prompted him to want to go back.
Cryoablation is what I had 4 years ago and do expect Afib to come back at some time. I have a Kardia device and check for Afib often. I also have an Apple Watch that monitors for Afib. As you say, blood clots are the big worry particularly with asymptomatic Afib where you don’t know that your top chambers aren’t beating properly. I expect to end up on blood thinners when I hit age 70.

Best wishes to your husband and yourself.