Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Heart Tests... Anyone Had This??

Wikiposts

Heart Tests... Anyone Had This??

Old Oct 30th 2008, 11:02 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Heart Tests... Anyone Had This??

Asked this in the barbie but no takers.

I have to go for this heart test thing on Tuesday.
They are pumping some stuff into my veins (i think its radio active so it shows up on the camera) then artificially speeding up my heart doing god knows what inbetween and then doing the tests with heart at normal rate.

I am not in a panic or anything like that, but i do have a little niggle at the back of my head worrying about them speeding up my heart especially as i am already having breathing probs.

The whole thing will go on for 5hrs I am told.

Has anyone else had this sort of test done and how was it?
Old Oct 30th 2008, 11:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Celtic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Heart Tests... Anyone Had This??

My dad had them done and he never moaned about them. This leads me to believe that there is nothing to it, because if there was any part that could induce a moan in him it would have done.

All the best with it.

Edit: I just remembered that I did have the radio active injection thingy when they wanted to look at my stomach. It sounds scary but it was simple, the only thing you feel is slightly warm and fuzzy inside.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 11:13 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celtic Princess
My dad had them done and he never moaned about them. This leads me to believe that there is nothing to it, because if there was any part that could induce a moan in him it would have done.

All the best with it.
LOL... well at least thats positive!

I wwish these people would explain things a bit before you go for them as you end up thinking all sorts and i drae not start doing internet searches. You know what thats like, after 2 pages you are convinced you have some weird arse disease from outer mongolia

I swear i am NOT hypocondriac. Just very unlucky lately...
Old Oct 30th 2008, 11:32 pm
Feels great to be home!

SarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a chemical stress test (I think that's what they call it). I had one done a year ago. I don't think it actually took that long, and it didn't cause me any problems. Presumably the docs know about the breathing problems? I'm sure they wouldn't go ahead with it if they thought would be risky. And they will be monitoring you the whole time . . .

Sarah
Old Oct 30th 2008, 11:36 pm
I don't give a damn

Originally Posted by SarahInTX
Sounds like a chemical stress test (I think that's what they call it). I had one done a year ago. I don't think it actually took that long, and it didn't cause me any problems. Presumably the docs know about the breathing problems? I'm sure they wouldn't go ahead with it if they thought would be risky. And they will be monitoring you the whole time . . .

Sarah
They should know. I was in the same place for a lung test last week and that is when they booked it.
The whole point of all this is to find out why i am having such problems breathing. I still have evidence of the pnuemonia, but its is shrinking quite well they reckon and are now concerned somehting else is going on. The lung test showed no blood clot on the lung so this heart test is the next on the list.
It is definitely 5hrs as it says so on the leaflet
Old Oct 31st 2008, 12:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Celtic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of light

Don't be scared by the 5 hours. My stomach one took 3 hours. Most of that was spent drinking some stuff that then reacted with the injected stuff to show up on the camera. The actualy camera time was about 10 minutes. If you are having the same one my dad had then all they do is get you to do different activities to see what you heart is upto, like walking on a treadmill. Which reminds me that he did find a moan. The stickypad which attached the monitor wires to his chest itched.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 3:22 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
They should know. I was in the same place for a lung test last week and that is when they booked it.
The whole point of all this is to find out why i am having such problems breathing. I still have evidence of the pnuemonia, but its is shrinking quite well they reckon and are now concerned somehting else is going on. The lung test showed no blood clot on the lung so this heart test is the next on the list.
It is definitely 5hrs as it says so on the leaflet
I think you are talking about an adenosine stress test. Basically it is like walking on a treadmill without you actually walking because you are unable to do that right now (if you get what I mean). To be able to tell if there is any blockages etc the cardiologist needs to see the blood pumping through your arteries so they have to get the heart rate up.

It's not too bad, just uncomfortable to have lay still for a while.

If I can help PM me. I have had some interesting experiences this year with heart related problems
Old Oct 31st 2008, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

5hrs made me wince at first, as I have to submit MHR tests with my coach every 3mths, and they are hard work, and I can only hold it for 20secs after a 30min warm up (my MHR is 192).

But I reckon they are talking elevated rather than max. In triathlon and cycle racing terms we talk about 'zone 1, 2, & 3' and lactate thresholds. 'Elevated' could mean anything above your normal day to day HR, which is different for everybody, but I'm assuming won't go into anaerobic level (zone 3, or in laymans terms, a rate that you cannot sustain over an extended period).

Don't panic, there is a huge difference between 'elevated' and 'flat out' And I'm sure you will be in very capable hands.

Good luck and best wishes
Old Oct 31st 2008, 10:28 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Asked this in the barbie but no takers.

I have to go for this heart test thing on Tuesday.
They are pumping some stuff into my veins (i think its radio active so it shows up on the camera) then artificially speeding up my heart doing god knows what inbetween and then doing the tests with heart at normal rate.

I am not in a panic or anything like that, but i do have a little niggle at the back of my head worrying about them speeding up my heart especially as i am already having breathing probs.

The whole thing will go on for 5hrs I am told.

Has anyone else had this sort of test done and how was it?
The radioactive isotope part is no big deal, and as you say, it's so they can get a "picture" of your heart and coronary blood vessels. If they let you see the image of your heart, it's pretty fascinating - like a high-quality cartoon picture of your heart (I took part in an exercise study once looking at left ventricular function, at Beth Israel Hospital in NY). And as Tr1boy said, they won't do a max test on someone with a clinical condition, they just want to elevate your heart rate chemically rather than via exercise.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 7:45 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Coming to this late, Flea, but do you know if anytime along the road they checked you for anaemia? It can cause odd symptoms and breathlessness can be one along with weakness and anxiety. They were testing me for all sorts of things once, and that's what it turned out to be. From heavy periods in my case.

It's often overlooked and it should be one of the first tests they do. You want your ferritin checked. It measures your iron stores.

Hope the test went well,

Bev
Old Nov 8th 2008, 11:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't sound all that nice, but I suppose if it helps determine what is causing your difficulties with breathing, and enables them to hopefully treat that effectively, then it should be well worth 5 hours of minor discomfort or boredom perhaps!

Good luck with it and try not to worry. Most medical procedures these days aren't as scary as they might seem.
Old Nov 8th 2008, 11:29 pm
I don't give a damn

Originally Posted by backagen
It doesn't sound all that nice, but I suppose if it helps determine what is causing your difficulties with breathing, and enables them to hopefully treat that effectively, then it should be well worth 5 hours of minor discomfort or boredom perhaps!

Good luck with it and try not to worry. Most medical procedures these days aren't as scary as they might seem.
Thanks B and everyone. The test has been put on hold due to the cyst problem now! Will phone them this week to see what they intend to do
Old Nov 12th 2008, 11:20 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks B and everyone. The test has been put on hold due to the cyst problem now! Will phone them this week to see what they intend to do
I've had two Persantine Stress Tests and from your description it seems to me that is what you're going to have. If so, there is really nothing to be unduly concerned about. As another poster advised, the drug is used to create your heart's condition as if you are on a treadmill at ever increasing speed. Where I am, a treadmill would usually be used with the drug as a replacement if the patient is physically incapable of reaching sufficient speed on the treadmill. After the drug/treadmill you will be placed in a machine that will x-ray your heart to determine a number of heart related activities. You will also be injected with thallium, I think for the for the x-ray requirements. There is no pain with this test, just possible discomfort. The drugs can have minor side effects such as dizziness and headache. The overall test takes a few hours. Here, I am required to sign a consent form as there are some very minor risks.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 7:05 pm
I don't give a damn

Originally Posted by brianscottie43
I've had two Persantine Stress Tests and from your description it seems to me that is what you're going to have. If so, there is really nothing to be unduly concerned about. As another poster advised, the drug is used to create your heart's condition as if you are on a treadmill at ever increasing speed. Where I am, a treadmill would usually be used with the drug as a replacement if the patient is physically incapable of reaching sufficient speed on the treadmill. After the drug/treadmill you will be placed in a machine that will x-ray your heart to determine a number of heart related activities. You will also be injected with thallium, I think for the for the x-ray requirements. There is no pain with this test, just possible discomfort. The drugs can have minor side effects such as dizziness and headache. The overall test takes a few hours. Here, I am required to sign a consent form as there are some very minor risks.
Thanks Brian

I am ok with it now. Thanks you all your advice on this thread. What i am NOT happy about is the attitude of the receptionist at the clinic! :curse:

Apprently, I have been barred from their private practice for costing them $1500 for not having the orininal test done.
As most here know, I had NO way of cancelling the test the day before because i ended up in the A&E having the cyst thing drained. I told the surgeon that i needed to know before 5pm whether they were going to operate on me because of he need to cancel the test next day, but he went away and didnt come back to me until 6.30pm by which time the clinic was closed....
This woman is like Attila the hun. My OH ended up in a huge row with her on the phone. Eventually he demanded she give him the address to wirte an official complaint to the hospital. Strangely enough another woman quickly took over the phone and offered me an appointment next Monday :curse::curse:

For gods sake!!! Get me back to the NHS