Wikiposts

healthcare

Old Oct 28th 2009, 4:59 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute
Default healthcare

I have a question to ask and hope it comes across in the right way. My brother and i have been in the US for 25 plus years each. We came to see father we never knew. Life here has been okay but as years progress we both consider moving home. One questions I have is that my brother was just diagnosed with cancer and is receiving good care (free) and one hopes it was caught early and everything is well. If we were at any time to move back to UK for good would he be eligible for healthcare? We have no family on either sides of the ocean except each other. For those who would say we are freeloaders please know that is not our intent but if things should progress for the worse he has said he does not want to spend his final days in US. If we both turn back the clock we would never have moved here but it is what it is. thanks...
Old Oct 28th 2009, 6:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: healthcare

You are eligible for HS as long as you are British Citizen with British Passport as soon as you enter UK. I would ask your brothers physicians to put all his medical history, medication etc. on CD to give to new Dr. in UK.

Originally Posted by fulwood
I have a question to ask and hope it comes across in the right way. My brother and i have been in the US for 25 plus years each. We came to see father we never knew. Life here has been okay but as years progress we both consider moving home. One questions I have is that my brother was just diagnosed with cancer and is receiving good care (free) and one hopes it was caught early and everything is well. If we were at any time to move back to UK for good would he be eligible for healthcare? We have no family on either sides of the ocean except each other. For those who would say we are freeloaders please know that is not our intent but if things should progress for the worse he has said he does not want to spend his final days in US. If we both turn back the clock we would never have moved here but it is what it is. thanks...
Old Oct 28th 2009, 6:58 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

You don't have to be a British citizen or hold a British passport to get treatment on the NHS. You just have to be a resident of Britain.

I am a British citizen, now living in Canada therefore I am not technically allowed treatment on the NHS.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Before getting to see Dr. had to show my Passport. Have spoken to Dr's that work in Health Services in Scotland was told that, yes, most will treat people who are not citizens but they can refuse, most don't as it means to much paperwork. Also was asked to give last known address lived at in UK, was told they could not issue number unless had that info. Might have been overzealous civil servant worker or just someone who does not know what they are talking about, which seem to run rampant in governmental departments.
QUOTE=Cookie;8052528]You don't have to be a British citizen or hold a British passport to get treatment on the NHS. You just have to be a resident of Britain.

I am a British citizen, now living in Canada therefore I am not technically allowed treatment on the NHS.[/QUOTE]
Old Oct 28th 2009, 7:16 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Residency in the UK meets the requirements to be eligible for NHS treatment. If they want to be sniffy they might ask for evidence you have returned with intent to settle (as opposed to simply taking a vacation to get free treatment). I've never heard of having to prove citizenship to receive NHS tratment. I could understand asking for a passport as proof of identity, maybe ...
Old Oct 28th 2009, 7:24 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a link to the Department of Health.

The reason you may have been asked for your passport is for identity and because you showed him a British passport he did not have to do further checks about you legally living in Britain. They probably asked you for your NHS number too but you may have lost it over the years (if you had your birth registered in the UK you automatically get one).

All you have to do is be 'ordinarily resident' in the UK to get NHS treatment. To be honest I don't think a legal resident in Britain can be refused treatment just because they show a USA/Canada/Chinese/passport. As long as they live there legally they are entitled to it.

Therefore, when your husband joins you in the UK he is automatically entitled to use the NHS if he becomes resident. If he comes over for a visit, then he is not entitled.

Me, on the other hand, after living over 40 years in the UK am not entitled to free treatment since I took up residence in Canada almost 3 years ago. I took out health insurance when I flew back to Scotland for 8 days in April 2009.

Last edited by Cookie; Oct 28th 2009 at 7:39 am.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the input. please know we would not just go so he can get free treatment. it would be a permanent move. right now thank goodness he is getting free care in the US cos he doesn't earn enough to afford insurance so he is fortunate to be getting the free care. Thank you..
Old Oct 28th 2009, 10:34 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the input. please know we would not just go so he can get free treatment. it would be a permanent move. right now thank goodness he is getting free care in the US cos he doesn't earn enough to afford insurance so he is fortunate to be getting the free care. Thank you..
I don't think anyone was thinking that - we all have pretty good free-loader radar. Threads titled "How do I get free benefits and healthcare and a council flat?" sometimes get people on here worked up.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 2:58 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Some have shown a house lease, for a UK home or sale papers for the home they have moved from in another country, to show they are back in the UK for good. There are ways to show you aren't there on holiday.
Also if you move back once your brother is over treatment for a while and in his best health, he'll be registered with a UK Doc and seeing him a while ready for if he needs major care again.
Dig out your old NI numbers and you'll be set in that department.