British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Health care and dental (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/health-care-dental-712623/)

Esme Apr 8th 2011 7:38 pm

Health care and dental

Probably a dumb question and/or one that's been asked before... probably been in Canada too long (hence asking said question....)

1) Am I entitled to healthcare immediately that I return to the UK?

2) (not quite such a dumb question) are there still NHS dentists in the UK taking on new clients?
2a) If not, has anyone got private dental insurance and how quickly can that be accessed once it's set p?

E

roaringmouse Apr 9th 2011 6:46 am

Re: Health care and dental

If you are habitually resident in the UK, you are eligible for healthcare from the NHS. So yes, if you're moving back to the UK you are eligible from day 1 - however you might be asked about your status when seeking healthcare.

Bevm Apr 9th 2011 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by Esme (Post 9294104)
2) (not quite such a dumb question) are there still NHS dentists in the UK taking on new clients?
2a) If not, has anyone got private dental insurance and how quickly can that be accessed once it's set p?

E

There are NHS dentists taking new clients, but it seems to vary by area.

A lot of the private dentists have a payment plan which is a bit like insurance. You pay so much a month and that gets you a couple of free checkups a year and a deduction on other treatments. I don't know about private insurance.

The actual cost of a specific treatment -- let's say a crown -- varies a lot. Of course to an extent, you may get what you pay for, but on the other hand, some pricey places are just offering posh offices and no real difference in skill. Hard to tell, as always, so best to try to get recommendations

Bev

BristolUK Apr 9th 2011 5:24 pm

It might be worth getting an NHS dentist even if it's not especially convenient to get to. If it's only a couple of visits a year, even with taxis it can be cheaper than going through Denplan or similar.:blink:

Esme Apr 9th 2011 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 9295247)
It might be worth getting an NHS dentist even if it's not especially convenient to get to. If it's only a couple of visits a year, even with taxis it can be cheaper than going through Denplan or similar.:blink:

Good idea. It can't be worse than the 6 hour round trip I have to make now!!!!! :blink:

BristolUK Apr 9th 2011 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by Esme (Post 9295305)
Good idea. It can't be worse than the 6 hour round trip I have to make now!!!!! :blink:

:eek:
I was just thinking about going across town instead of a 5 minute walk. :rofl:

It was back in the 90s when my NHS dentist went the private or Denplan route (except for those who were exempt from NHS charges). After 5 years of continuous visits during which the only thing I had done was having a crown stuck back on I was somewhat shocked to be told Denplan premiums would be £15 monthly. That was the second lowest premium available.

Five years of treatment free visits:confused: what did you have to do to get the lowest rate? I'm guessing it was the presence of 4 crowns but even if the possible replacement need was the reason for the higher charge, the lab fee was not covered by the premiums.

I had been paying around £9 a year for 6 monthly checkups. I didn't find £180 very appealing. Paying the private charge for a crown as much as every two years would have been cheaper.

I found another NHS dentist near work but he went the same route after a year. So I found another.

johnh009 Apr 9th 2011 7:11 pm

Probably a dumb question and/or one that's been asked before... probably been in Canada too long (hence asking said question....)

E

First thing you should do is register with a GP then you should be okay as long as you are not "passing through". Otherwise you may receive a bill.

mikelincs Apr 10th 2011 12:56 pm

E

All you need to register is proof of the fact you are living back in the UK, rental documents ar other similar things, something official with your name and the UK address. Thye will be able to find out your NHS number, which will not be the one you used to have, but your name and DOB should help them find it.