Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

heading home, looking for some answers please!

heading home, looking for some answers please!

Old Sep 14th 2009, 12:03 pm
Just Joined

cominghome3107 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question heading home, looking for some answers please!

To All,
I'm a British Citizen currently livivng in America, I'm married to a wonderful lady who's american and together with have a daugther who also is american, we are intending on heading back to the uk next may. I have a question or more for all those expats out there.
Being a british citizen etc, and my wife american and daughter also will they need visa's to enter britain etc and work, go to school etc obviiously my wife will need a visa but will our daughter need anything etc. Does anyone know which visas we will need and the cost. many thanks
Old Sep 14th 2009, 12:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: heading home, looking for some answers please!

Hi

We came back from Canada, and got my daughter (Canadian passport holder) a UK passport with a minimum of fuss. It was all about proving thatI was British and sending in my birth certificate. It only cost around 100 pounds.

I had no problem with my wife (Canadian passprt holder)either, we just had to send marriage certificates etc and proof we had a few k in the bank. I think that was more of a formality than anything else but it did cost 585 pounds.

However I recommend you start all applications ASAP as sometimes it takes up to a month or even longer to receive your documents. You really don't want to leave it until the last minute.

Jonathan
Old Sep 14th 2009, 6:23 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by cominghome3107
To All,
I'm a British Citizen currently livivng in America, I'm married to a wonderful lady who's american and together with have a daugther who also is american, we are intending on heading back to the uk next may. I have a question or more for all those expats out there.
Being a british citizen etc, and my wife american and daughter also will they need visa's to enter britain etc and work, go to school etc obviiously my wife will need a visa but will our daughter need anything etc. Does anyone know which visas we will need and the cost. many thanks
Try uk-yankee.com which is a site aimed towards Americans who want to live/work in the UK for information and others who have gone/are going through the process. Brits frequent the site too so you'd be welcome to join and start posting.

If your daughter is eligible then you should apply for a UK passport for her, which is a very straightforward application but it is something you should look into getting her very soon as the passport office at the Embassy in DC now handles applications from both America and Canada.

The spouse visa for the UK, for your wife, is currently $995. If your daughter is eligible for a UK passport then she doesn't require a visa.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 2:10 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cominghome3107
To All,
Are you also a US citizen, or if you have a green card, are you planning to abandon it?
Old Sep 17th 2009, 11:34 pm
Just Joined

cominghome3107 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm currently in middle of my citzenship and have my naturalization within the next month and within 6 mths heading back to uk with hopefully dual citzenship
Old Sep 19th 2009, 4:57 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Only wanted to second the Talk Yankee site as a resource for you and your wife. Would especially recommend she reads some of the 'rants' over there (which, as you might imagine, sound similar to the 'rants' on this site) about life as an expat in a foreign country. Things you grew up with make no sense to Americans sometimes, and it can be both funny and informative to read their take on life in a 'foreign' country you call home.

Good luck with your trip.