British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Heading home end of July (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/heading-home-end-july-760234/)

Pombat May 31st 2012 1:37 pm

Heading home end of July

Hi everyone,
It looks like we are going home, yay! I've been reading this forum for a while and have found it all very interesting and useful. We will be leaving at the end of July, heading back to Bristol. We will have been away for a little over 13 years. The biggest issue for us will be settling the kids - 11 and 13. We left when the older one was a baby, and the younger one was born in Australia, so they have never really lived there. We have been back for lots of visits, at various times of the year, so they have some experience of England, but not of living there. it is going to be a major adjustment for them. We are trying to get school places sorted now. So there is a lot to do, as you all know, and more than a few worries, but I feel so happy at the thought of going home and being close to family! :)

sallysimmons Jun 1st 2012 9:28 am

Re: Heading home end of July

Congratulations!! I bet the kids will settle in better than you think.

It's such a wonderful feeling when you arrive back. I'm envious in a way that you get to have that feeling - but not envious of all the work that you have to do first :lol:

Enjoy every minute!

katybluewater Jun 1st 2012 12:20 pm

I am moving back at the end of June too - so excited. Have been in the States 3 years now. I will miss some things here - weather, scenery, shopping, but I am truly British and cant wait to get back to country walks, sunday lunch in the pub and humour! We are up to our eyes with sorting things out, paperwork, pet passport for the dog - so rather stressful, but equally exciting. Good Luck with your move!

Pombat Jun 1st 2012 1:25 pm

Thanks Sally and Katy.
We are really excited! :thumbsup:
It is almost surreal, we have talked about moving back for such a long time that it is hard to believe it is actually happening. We don't have pets to worry about, just children! I submitted online school applications yesterday. The schools we want are all full so we have to keep our fingers crossed. :fingerscrossed: I must admit I am feeling a bit daunted by everything but reading posts here from others who have been in the same situation is a huge help. Thank goodness for BE!

Mummy in the foothills Jun 1st 2012 1:34 pm

Well done Pombat and Katy getting back this summer. :thumbsup:

lf1 Jun 1st 2012 2:42 pm

Pombat and Katy, great news. Best wishes for your return. Now the heavy lifting starts. I am right in the middle of it, but I am beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel.