Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Having a stressful time finding a rental in UK??

Having a stressful time finding a rental in UK??

Old Jul 23rd 2009, 10:44 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Having a stressful time finding a rental in UK??

Originally Posted by yorkshirelass
Hello,

Astin's is the big estate agents in the town -- here is the link to their website:

http://www.astin.co.uk/astins.php

They have several lettings on there now as well as the application. Good luck with it all and feel free to ask away if you're concerned with any areas.

P.S. Plans to build a Sainsubury's right outside the town are under way!!!
Yes, and that's a plus to me. I'll still shop at the local shops because we like to walk in and buy fresh most days. Get the exercise. But it'll be nice to have a big store that's not a long way away.

I've been in touch with Astins, and there's nothing much that suits us yet. We don't really want a small modern 3-bed house., and most others are 2-bed. Do you know if there are a lot of ads in the paper for houses to rent, Yorkshirelass?

Bev
Old Jul 24th 2009, 12:15 am
Forum Regular

yorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bevm
Yes, and that's a plus to me. I'll still shop at the local shops because we like to walk in and buy fresh most days. Get the exercise. But it'll be nice to have a big store that's not a long way away.

I've been in touch with Astins, and there's nothing much that suits us yet. We don't really want a small modern 3-bed house., and most others are 2-bed. Do you know if there are a lot of ads in the paper for houses to rent, Yorkshirelass?

Bev
To be honest, I did have a quick lookie loo when I was there -- a week ago and there is not a whole heck of a lot. I can send out an email to some friends who still live there and ask about to see if there is anything or anyone they may know of. There are quite a few flat conversions right on the cliff front that were converted for holiday home buyers that are being let now as the developers are unable to sell -- would that interest you? My sis-in-law is temporarily living in one right now and got a great deal on it to let, but she is on the 4th floor! Good luck!!! Whitby is a fab place to be!!
Old Jul 24th 2009, 3:38 am
BE Enthusiast

manc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USAGypsies
Tell me about it. We just had to fork out 235.00 GBP, non-refundable of course

What is that all about?
Old Jul 24th 2009, 4:11 am
BE Enthusiast

USAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by manc1
What is that all about?
I think it's called daylight robbery..... and there is no way to avoid it
Old Jul 24th 2009, 1:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Southern Ontario(house is SOLD on our way back to UK/aug 09)
dewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by manc1
What is that all about?
usagypsies I agree...estate agents piece of the pie!!!! BUT it does secure a property and I know IF I'm are forking out ALL this dough...its going to be ok at the end..and you won't be swindled from a paper advertisement....IT will obviously, be all different once we are there, maybe the local papers are the way too go..but from 3500 miles away..it doesn't feel secure.

good luck

WE may just have a rental lined up...we have too pay all the 6mths ahead of time..and they won't even negotiate on the rental...grrrrr!

ITS NOT A EASY PROCESS!!!!
Old Jul 24th 2009, 1:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dewdrop
Any tips?

We have been on going in our search for a rental...we have been phoning estate agents about properties and looking daily on rightmove, and Vebra, every morning its a ritual to ring them up(with time change and all)..and now time is getting closer (we need one for end of August). I'm getting so ticked off with the whole process...either they have just been let, or because we are in Canada, how do we sign forms b4 others get to it first...

Just saw a perfect one, and estate agent said, it would most likely be gone by w/end as ppl were coming in to fill in the forms...

tips please....
Buy (or rent) a static caravan and then sell it when you find a permanent place.

http://www.static-caravan.co.uk/

The advantage with a static caravan is that they come already furnished and with cooker, fridge, etc.

Last edited by johnh009; Jul 24th 2009 at 1:37 pm.
Old Jul 24th 2009, 1:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

dewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by johnh009
Buy (or rent) a static caravan and then sell it when you find a permanent place.

http://www.static-caravan.co.uk/

The advantage with a static caravan is that they come already furnished and with cooker, fridge, etc.

thanks for the link....will check it out, I love the idea of it being self contained..fridge etc...not sure there are any in stowmarket/kesgrave?

only thing is our 20ft container will be arriving..one week after we arrive..so then we would have to find storage for all that??? so that creates another problem...along with the many other little things that have too be done once we land..schools,..NI, etc etc...
Old Jul 24th 2009, 3:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

USAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond repute

WE may just have a rental lined up...we have too pay all the 6mths ahead of time..and they won't even negotiate on the rental...grrrrr!
Oooooooh that sounds hopeful!!!! Do tell. The 6 months in advance is a bummer but at least it gives you the security you want with having a house.
I think the peeps on here have had some fantastic advice about static caravans/holiday lets - it would have been a good alternative that's for sure. I personally couldn't put myself through a temporary move again. If it was just me and Dh, sure no problem but having to get yourself registered for schools in a specific neighbourhood in time for the new year plus receiving a 20ft container and that's without all the other arrangements, it would add so much complication wouldn't it. Not to mention confuse the kids again with yet another place to sleep. I really hope this rental you mention works out for you. I'm hoping to hear back on ours today. fingers crossed for you and for me
Old Jul 24th 2009, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

reeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bevm

Bev

Hey Bev...you looking at moving to whitby?

My Uncle and aunt just moved there. They did the static caravan thing. My mom visited and said it was nice. The only thing is there is some kind of rule that it cannot be an all year residence - so they have to move out temp for 2 months of the year....weird I thought, but hey.

the emailed me this site : http://www.whitbyonline.co.uk/ maybe of use, but thay said there is not much available online for Whitby.

Reeni
Old Jul 24th 2009, 6:46 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by reeni
Hey Bev...you looking at moving to whitby?

My Uncle and aunt just moved there. They did the static caravan thing. My mom visited and said it was nice. The only thing is there is some kind of rule that it cannot be an all year residence - so they have to move out temp for 2 months of the year....weird I thought, but hey.

the emailed me this site : http://www.whitbyonline.co.uk/ maybe of use, but thay said there is not much available online for Whitby.

Reeni
No, I think people don't move out much!

We don't really want the caravan because we want our own stuff around us.

Bev
Old Jul 24th 2009, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

thanks for the link....will check it out, I love the idea of it being self contained..fridge etc...not sure there are any in stowmarket/kesgrave?

only thing is our 20ft container will be arriving..one week after we arrive..so then we would have to find storage for all that??? so that creates another problem...along with the many other little things that have too be done once we land..schools,..NI, etc etc...
Also, try the property developers. Many are renting out properties that they cannot sell. Some even have a "try before you buy" scheme where you can rent while you are deciding if you want to buy the place or not.
Old Jul 24th 2009, 8:45 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Bev....Just a thought Have you had a look at Robinhoods bay, its only afew miles ( 6 or7 ) away from Whitby and they may have some holiday lets ??? Their is also quite afew villages around & tons of B&B's ......

It would give you chance once there to checkout places properly
Old Jul 25th 2009, 7:11 am
BE Enthusiast

snowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud of

try this link:http://www.moonandsixpence.eu
just a couple of miles from kesgrave, personally i would avoid stowmarket!

also there is a large self storage place in ipswich, where you would be able to store spare gear as long as you need to, its quite reasonable, i think it is "big yellow box storage " or something
Old Jul 25th 2009, 11:34 am
Just hanging around

Originally Posted by sans
Bev....Just a thought Have you had a look at Robinhoods bay, its only afew miles ( 6 or7 ) away from Whitby and they may have some holiday lets ??? Their is also quite afew villages around & tons of B&B's ......

It would give you chance once there to checkout places properly
True, we may end up in a holiday let briefly as we look for a place, but we want an unfurnished house ASAP, in Whitby.

Good idea on property developers. Given choice, we prefer not to live in a new place. Just our quirk. They always feel raw somehow. We may have to take what we can get!

Thanks,

Bev
Old Jul 25th 2009, 2:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by snowshoveller
try this link:http://www.moonandsixpence.eu
just a couple of miles from kesgrave, personally i would avoid stowmarket!

also there is a large self storage place in ipswich, where you would be able to store spare gear as long as you need to, its quite reasonable, i think it is "big yellow box storage " or something

thanks for the link.

the only reason we thought of Stowmarket, i know someone there and she's been there since '85, also its a small town, much like what we're used too, also our eldest daughter (11) needs a middleschool. much prefered over highschool for her first yr back...break her in gently...

Why not STowmarket, do tell?

Any clues on what schools to avoid in STowmarket? as this is the next step.

thanks everyone for all the tips/advice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.