Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Having a stressful time finding a rental in UK??

Having a stressful time finding a rental in UK??

Old Jul 22nd 2009, 7:50 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Having a stressful time finding a rental in UK??

Originally Posted by sans
Are you getting excited ??? Or having a wobble
I'm just very, very busy! When the stuff leaves, we'll be in Canada for a few more weeks, visiting friends and our sons, and that's going to feel like a holiday.

As I've said, we're in a good position, and this is really a passing-60 adventure for us, so we're not too anxious. I feel for people with kids and jobs to settle etc. Must be really stressful. This is just too-much-to-do-too-little-time stressful,

Bev
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 7:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

USAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dewdrop
what about a reference check???
all the lettings agenceys seem to be adding this huge fee 275gbp/per person fee...then IF we find something with another letting agencey we have to pay IT all over again..WTF??
Tell me about it. We just had to fork out 235.00 GBP, non-refundable of course
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

reeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud of

i talked to a few relatives, and the gerneral concesus is that most people use gumtree over there.

www.gumtree.com then you pick your town. and search. i think it defaults to london proper, so remember to choose the right town.

for example sheffield is http://sheffield.gumtree.com/ and you can choose only private lettings

here is a sample:
http://sheffield.gumtree.com/sheffield/08/40655508.html
Recently redecorated well presented three bedroom terraced house located
on a quiet one way street in Walkley, close by to local schools including
Rivelin Primary.

The property comprises of; Ground floor - Lounge with
feature fire, dining room, off shot kitchen including integrated fridge/freezer,
oven/hob, and washing machine. To the first floor are two double bedrooms
and large bathroom benefitting from a bath and seperate shower cubicle. To
the attic is a further double bedroom. Outside; Rear terraced garden with
lawned area. Suit three professional sharers or family.

The house is in a superb location, with excellent transport links to the city centre and within a few minutes walk of local shops and amenities in Walkley.

Furnished. Available 14th August.
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

reeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud of

Hey Dew Drop ,

Where are ya moving from in southern ON? and what part of sunny blighty are you planning on going to?

I hope it gets easier for you!! I am sure the stress will be worth it.

all the best
Reeni
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 8:53 pm
Pamela 1

Pamela 1 has a spectacular aura aboutPamela 1 has a spectacular aura aboutPamela 1 has a spectacular aura about

As others have said consider renting a holiday cottage or static caravan for 2 months perhaps 3 months. Rents may be higher for August because of the summer season but Sept/Oct they decrease some. This will give you time to look around and you might stand a better chance of finding somewhere permanently.

Otherwise send OH over to look would be the other idea and then he can look in the local paper and local letting agencies. The real estate letting fee is a real pain and expense so if you can find something privately you can escape that.
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 1:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Southern Ontario(house is SOLD on our way back to UK/aug 09)
dewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by reeni
Hey Dew Drop ,

Where are ya moving from in southern ON? and what part of sunny blighty are you planning on going to?

I hope it gets easier for you!! I am sure the stress will be worth it.

all the best
Reeni
Thanks Reeni,
we are near Toronto..small town away from city life. hoping suffolk somewhere?

Are you located in the UK?
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 1:20 am
BE Enthusiast

dewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pamela 1
As others have said consider renting a holiday cottage or static caravan for 2 months perhaps 3 months. Rents may be higher for August because of the summer season but Sept/Oct they decrease some. This will give you time to look around and you might stand a better chance of finding somewhere permanently.

Otherwise send OH over to look would be the other idea and then he can look in the local paper and local letting agencies. The real estate letting fee is a real pain and expense so if you can find something privately you can escape that.
what is a static caravan??? I must be abit thick
Yes, can consider it..but 3 small children..I'm not sure my sanity would last...
I can't sleep at night..with worry...

I will check out gumtree...although very leary about giving money to strangers

THanks everyone!!!!!
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 1:30 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pamela 1

We couldn't even get a holiday let (as I had four kids at home, one at Uni). I was told many times..."too many kids" and asked if I was on benefits. I kept telling agencies that paying for a credit reference was pointless for each of us, as I had no credit file in the UK and could prove it. Insulted and frustrated doesn't quite cover it. We've given up.
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 2:47 pm
Pamela 1

Pamela 1 has a spectacular aura aboutPamela 1 has a spectacular aura aboutPamela 1 has a spectacular aura about

Static caravans are like we have here called park model trailers. These caravans are very nice we have been in some. They are 12-14ft wide and have good sized living room dining area and nice kitchens and most are 2 bedrooms. Called static because they are parked on a permanent site in a holiday park and people rent them out during summer,spring and autumn. There are some very nice holiday parks around.

It can be a bit time consuming looking online at them but you will find plenty in these holiday parks. Put in 'holiday caravan rental' or something similar also the area/county you want and you'll come up with something. Many will advertise on one website giving all the details of the caravan and you click into their personal website to find rent etc. Also try the same thing for cottages though some can be a bit rural but not all. You then pay a deposit and pay rent by the month and there are no references etc.
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 3:29 pm
Just Joined

abbeys orchids is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dewdrop
Any tips?

We have been on going in our search for a rental...we have been phoning estate agents about properties and looking daily on rightmove, and Vebra, every morning its a ritual to ring them up(with time change and all)..and now time is getting closer (we need one for end of August). I'm getting so ticked off with the whole process...either they have just been let, or because we are in Canada, how do we sign forms b4 others get to it first...

Just saw a perfect one, and estate agent said, it would most likely be gone by w/end as ppl were coming in to fill in the forms...

tips please....
It may sound like a simple solution but is there anyone who could go in for you and pay the deposit and sort of interim sign?
Most agents just want the money in the bank and if your or your friends references are good I think they'll go for it.

Good Luck
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 6:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

MR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to all

www.gumtree.co.uk use this website, you will find hundreds of rentals all over the UK, beware of the scammers but these are normally the owners advertising themselves and i doubt you will need to pay any type of fees apart from deposit and rent.........good luck with your search........oh yeh rightmove caters more for sale properties and rentals are usually advertised by the estate agents who are greedy and will charge stupid fees....

MR79
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 7:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MR79
www.gumtree.co.uk use this website, you will find hundreds of rentals all over the UK, beware of the scammers but these are normally the owners advertising themselves and i doubt you will need to pay any type of fees apart from deposit and rent.........good luck with your search........oh yeh rightmove caters more for sale properties and rentals are usually advertised by the estate agents who are greedy and will charge stupid fees....

MR79
It seems like rightmove for us in the only thing that is working at the mo...I have put an advertisement out there, and have heard nothing??
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

yorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bevm
I'm not finding any local ads on line. The Whitby Gazette on line doesn't include lineage, which I think is what they call classifieds. It just has a property click that takes me to agents. I checked out the Telegraph, and that's the same.

What am I missing?

I think I will put an ad in soon.

We're not in a bad situation because there's only the two of us and we can foist ourselves on friends. But we'd like to have a place when our stuff arrives.

One week till the stuff's off!

Bev
Hello,

Astin's is the big estate agents in the town -- here is the link to their website:

http://www.astin.co.uk/astins.php

They have several lettings on there now as well as the application. Good luck with it all and feel free to ask away if you're concerned with any areas.

P.S. Plans to build a Sainsubury's right outside the town are under way!!!
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 8:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

USAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Dewdrop,
Any luck with the agents today? Are you going to try a private let or stick with the agents? We're still waiting for the final word from our agent. Hoping to know before the weekend. Don't think I can stand another w/e where I'm just waiting for Monday to hurry up. This whole process is wearing my teeth away!

I know what I was going to ask you.... do you have a relative in Suffolk who could be on standby to go into the agents when you spot a property? Having a person standing in front of them may make it more real that just dealing with someone on the phone thousands of miles away, if you know what I mean.
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 10:39 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MR79

MR79
Gumtree doesn't have many locations, though, and so away from major cities, it's hit or miss if anything'll be there.

I've been e-mailing the Whitby Gazette about classifieds, and apparently it costs more to have an ad included on the web site, so most people don't bother. I suppose they want to sell papers.

Bev

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.