Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Have you benefited from living abroad?

Have you benefited from living abroad?

Old Jun 15th 2009, 6:41 pm
ian

mabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to all
Default Re: Have you benefited from living abroad?

Originally Posted by kevin747
Yes indeed. I appreciate the sophistication that the UK has in comparison to the backwater I was living in.
Why are you still on this forum if the uk is so good? Why don't you start living again?

Carol
Old Jun 15th 2009, 6:58 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mabozar
Why are you still on this forum if the uk is so good? Why don't you start living again?

Carol
Are you stalking kevin747? You seem to post after him/her quite a lot with disparaging comments.

Why do you feel the need to post on the MBTTUK forum so often and in such a negative fashion - are you still unsure about moving to Aus and feel you need to talk down the UK as a crutch for the decision?
Old Jun 15th 2009, 11:49 pm
ian

mabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
Are you stalking kevin747? You seem to post after him/her quite a lot with disparaging comments.

Why do you feel the need to post on the MBTTUK forum so often and in such a negative fashion - are you still unsure about moving to Aus and feel you need to talk down the UK as a crutch for the decision?
We all have our views that's what it's all about!

Freedom of speech

Carol
Old Jun 16th 2009, 2:09 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by doooooh
Definitely financially yes, have saved a nice nestegg. Personally, yes, has changed my approach to life and my viewpoint.

However, I think that it has possibly hindered my chances of re employment having been away from the UK job scene and may be held against me, particularly as I am at that 'crucial' age which may be seen as a little too old or unemployable.

The reality is I am better experienced and qualified than I woud have been if I had stayed in UK for the last 10 years.
What is the crucial age for employability (aka sell by date) in the UK?
Old Jun 16th 2009, 3:00 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mabozar

Carol
Odd comment. Why isn't it reasonable to post on here from the UK to give impressions to people who are planning on the move?

Bev
Old Jun 16th 2009, 4:45 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Sell by date in UK? depends what your trade/profession is.

Also depends how far forward your trade/profession has moved on in UK since you left (O/seas can sometimes not have developed as far or in the same way).

Alternatively, once you have been away more than 5 years you risk being out of touch with professional developments, regardless of your age.

I think once you get past 50 that it may be more difficult.

Again, it all depends what job you are in.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 5:14 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by doooooh
Sell by date in UK? depends what your trade/profession is.

Also depends how far forward your trade/profession has moved on in UK since you left (O/seas can sometimes not have developed as far or in the same way).

Alternatively, once you have been away more than 5 years you risk being out of touch with professional developments, regardless of your age.

I think once you get past 50 that it may be more difficult.

Again, it all depends what job you are in.
Thanks. I am running into the "no UK experience in the last ten years" issue, which is really making me stop and think about why I would want to commit career suicide all over again in my early forties. (Career took a nosedive in Canada when I got here, qualifications not recognised.)
Old Jun 16th 2009, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

JulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud of

Living in the US has definitely made me appreciate the UK ALOT... so that can only be a good thing!
Old Jun 16th 2009, 8:31 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

l doubt they would be moving back if they did.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

hudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dingbat
Thanks. I am running into the "no UK experience in the last ten years" issue, which is really making me stop and think about why I would want to commit career suicide all over again in my early forties. (Career took a nosedive in Canada when I got here, qualifications not recognised.)
dingbat

I am in my early 40's now and did not find problems getting work back in the UK after 8 years in Canada. I work in the nuclear/electricity generation industry and as manager it is seen as an advantage(expectation) having some international work experience.

Even in this current recession I get called regular for jobs from technical recruitment companies. I found the UK employers more flexible than that in Canada and recognise non UK job experience.

The days of spending 20/30/40 years with the same company are gone, so being 50+ and looking for work does not have the stigma it had in the past.

hudd
Old Jun 17th 2009, 2:53 am
Cynically amused.

Originally Posted by hudd
dingbat

I am in my early 40's now and did not find problems getting work back in the UK after 8 years in Canada. I work in the nuclear/electricity generation industry and as manager it is seen as an advantage(expectation) having some international work experience.

Even in this current recession I get called regular for jobs from technical recruitment companies. I found the UK employers more flexible than that in Canada and recognise non UK job experience.

The days of spending 20/30/40 years with the same company are gone, so being 50+ and looking for work does not have the stigma it had in the past.

hudd
Many thanks Hudd.:-)
Old Jun 17th 2009, 3:40 am
Banned

exvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond repute

I have certainly benefited from living abroad.

I brought $600,000 US dollars over in 2007 - they cost me £300,000 near enough.

I shipped em back at 1.40 a little while ago which gave me a profit of £128,571 in 18 months - tax free !

I just live on my 3 pensions now and when the dollar collapses back to 2USD =£1, I will bring the loot here to the US again. I use a forex broker in London so the spread between buying and selling is tiny and so slick

I have also shaken off the UK tax man and I get my pensions and bank interest free of tax from the UK. If I leave the US for a tax haven I will be rolling in lucre

As far as cultural experiences and personal development are concerned, I can't spend them, and I had the US well sussed before I set off. I learned more about some expat Brits while I was here, partly from this site, but I already knew a lot having been abandoned in Saudi by an expat Brit, and then rescued from the resulting horror by an American family - which all goes to show that it's the individual person and not the nationality that counts.

ok back to do so more capitalism on my forex screen !
Old Jun 17th 2009, 4:23 am
Forum Regular

HimnHer is a name known to allHimnHer is a name known to allHimnHer is a name known to allHimnHer is a name known to allHimnHer is a name known to allHimnHer is a name known to allHimnHer is a name known to allHimnHer is a name known to allHimnHer is a name known to allHimnHer is a name known to allHimnHer is a name known to all

We have recently returned after living in Spain for 2 years,financially we havent really benefited,but the experience of living another lifestyle does make you appreciate being back here in the UK.Like someone just said on here earlier,to be amonst people who have a sense of humour means so much,to see the countryside,to see normal (to us brits) shops selling vast amount of different food,proper chip shops and take away i.e chinese,indian,kebab whatever u want is so rewarding !Even the hustle and bustle,the fast pace of life,queing up for everything,reading The Sun even you can relate to the stories,because its history that you know about,because its your history in your country and thats where you belong.Obviously all people are different,some might not like the lifestyle of home,but its their lifestyle wheather they like it or not,wherever they live.A lot of people knock this country ( i have and did) but when they go abroad either on holiday or to live they take that typical British attitude with them,because thats the way us lot are............we are proud to be British and we like to show it off to other nations.Anyway thats my little bit done ! ! sorry to have gone on a bit !
Old Jun 18th 2009, 10:11 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricket1again
It's changed me but really only in two ways, 1) it affirms what I know to be true about the UK, mostly that is it provides the opportunity to get ahead if you have the determination to succeed.
2) it's definately not the case in Australia. This doesn't apply to myself but more to Aussie colleagues who find themselves up against a corrupt business system which favours not them, but the greedy landlords. When they repeatedly fail because there is so much unfairness, ie rents doubling just after they've signed lease agreements, they are given the ungracious accolade of being herocially defined as 'the all blue Aussie battler'! Somehow they buy into this false praise and carry on suffering.
Reminds me of a hamster going round and round on a wheel. It gets faster and faster but gets nowhere.
No offence but a) it hasn't changed you, it's affirmed something and b) that's not relevant to you so your entire answer doesn't answer the question at all
Old Jun 18th 2009, 4:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to behold

Well I'm still stuck in the USA and not quite sure how the hell Im going to get back yet but anyway ... I haven't benefited at all - I've tried really hard to come up with something but as hard as I try I just can't. It's been one long, hard slog and with nothing to show for the past five and a half years except a huge pile of debt and a mortgage that we're stuggling to pay.

As for enjoyment of life - there is none. Sorry if I sound so down - it doesn't help that my daughter has to go over to the UK for the summer holidays every year - she left yesterday - won't be back for another five weeks. I earn less now per hour than I did 20 years ago !! No paid sickness, no paid holidays - $10 per hour and that's my lot!! The last time I had a holiday was back in 2005 - 10 days in the UK. It's been very, very hard. OK that's enough of my moaning!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.