Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Have two shippers quotes any advice?

Have two shippers quotes any advice?

Old Jan 24th 2012, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

kezza708 is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Have two shippers quotes any advice?

Hi Everyone,

I wonder if anyone would be kind enough to give me some advice as I have no one over here to really discuss this with.

I am moving back to the UK soon and have two quotes I am looking at Beakins and Tippet and Richardson.

Beakins were cheaper by a little but Tippet will now match. I felt comfortable with both companies but now I am a little lost as to who I should go with. I wasnt expecting a matched price!

Does anyone know of these companies and can offer advice?

Hope you can help.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 7:52 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Have two shippers quotes any advice?

Originally Posted by kezza708
Hi Everyone,

I wonder if anyone would be kind enough to give me some advice as I have no one over here to really discuss this with.

I am moving back to the UK soon and have two quotes I am looking at Beakins and Tippet and Richardson.

Beakins were cheaper by a little but Tippet will now match. I felt comfortable with both companies but now I am a little lost as to who I should go with. I wasnt expecting a matched price!

Does anyone know of these companies and can offer advice?

Hope you can help.
It would help if you told us which country (inc. state or province) you are moving away from!

I have a recommendation but it's no good if you are on a different continent to me!
Old Jan 24th 2012, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Have two shippers quotes any advice?

Hi

Sorry!

Moving from Vancouver BC to UK.

I also forgot to ask if anyone knew if you can ship coffee and loose teas or are they now considered 'food'

Thanks again
Old Jan 26th 2012, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

Back2UK has a spectacular aura aboutBack2UK has a spectacular aura aboutBack2UK has a spectacular aura about

Hi

Sorry!

Moving from Vancouver BC to UK.

I also forgot to ask if anyone knew if you can ship coffee and loose teas or are they now considered 'food'

Thanks again
I am getting quotes from Britannia, Pickfords and GB Liners, Alberta to UK.

I can ask the question on Feb 6th, regarding the coffee & tea if you like. Have you has your quotes back yet?

BACK2UK
Old Jan 26th 2012, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

Back2UK has a spectacular aura aboutBack2UK has a spectacular aura aboutBack2UK has a spectacular aura about

oops your quotes back yet.
Old Jan 27th 2012, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

Hi

Yep both have quoted for 500cft around $4600.

Have you any quotes back yet?

Kezza
Old Jan 28th 2012, 4:32 am
Forum Regular

Hi

Yep both have quoted for 500cft around $4600.

Have you any quotes back yet?

Kezza
Nope not yet as 1st appt is Feb 6th
Old Jan 28th 2012, 3:01 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

I used Tippet Richardson (Allied Van Lines) for my inter province move and they were just awful, smashed my stove, 2 beds, and lots of other things, I'd never use them again - that was a move from Ottawa-Toronto, not overseas.
Old Jan 28th 2012, 4:34 pm
Just Joined

BCCanuck is an unknown quantity at this point

Like Kezza, I'm shopping for a shipper from the Vancouver area to the UK.

Google or forum feedback on various companies is scary. Most feedback is quite negative.

It would be nice to hear from people that had a positive experience and who they used.
Old Jan 28th 2012, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the replies everyone who has responded so far.

I think I seem to be moving more towards Bekins as Tippet really do seem to have quite negative feedback. I havent seen any negative feedback for Bekins at all. All their Google feedback is quite positive.

Old Jan 30th 2012, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

marietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nice

Thanks for the replies everyone who has responded so far.

I think I seem to be moving more towards Bekins as Tippet really do seem to have quite negative feedback. I havent seen any negative feedback for Bekins at all. All their Google feedback is quite positive.

Hi
We recently moved back from Alberta to UK, we used Tippett/Richardson
The first apt we had, they didn't bother to turn up? I phoned and he said he had car trouble....I said, did you have phone trouble too?? arranged a new apt, turned up and gave us several quotes from full packing and removal to 'loading the container ourselves' (didn't fancy that idea) anyway we opted for 20ft container but he managed to talk us into sharing a 40ft container with two other people and assured us that it would reach us in the same amount of time as having a 20ft to ourselves! IT DIDN'T
Our stuff was supposed to be with us by 7th Dec 2011, it finally turned up last week!! 2 and a half months later, a little longer than the 4 weeks he quoted us.

Delivering our stuff here in the UK was White & Co, the removal men said T/R were a nightmare and always telling people things like that, just because they have space in a container that needs filling and needs to be shipped.

Then to top that, when my statement arrived T/R had charged me twice, sending me over my agreed limit, with charges and interest added
I rang them and then after about a week, they refunded me......TWICE!!!
Surprisingly, they noticed this mistake immeadiately and phoned me, saying unless I sorted it asap, they would put a stop on my delivery

So A Great Big NO to T/R from me........
Old Jan 30th 2012, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by marietuluse
Hi
We recently moved back from Alberta to UK, we used Tippett/Richardson
The first apt we had, they didn't bother to turn up? I phoned and he said he had car trouble....I said, did you have phone trouble too?? arranged a new apt, turned up and gave us several quotes from full packing and removal to 'loading the container ourselves' (didn't fancy that idea) anyway we opted for 20ft container but he managed to talk us into sharing a 40ft container with two other people and assured us that it would reach us in the same amount of time as having a 20ft to ourselves! IT DIDN'T
Our stuff was supposed to be with us by 7th Dec 2011, it finally turned up last week!! 2 and a half months later, a little longer than the 4 weeks he quoted us.

Delivering our stuff here in the UK was White & Co, the removal men said T/R were a nightmare and always telling people things like that, just because they have space in a container that needs filling and needs to be shipped.

Then to top that, when my statement arrived T/R had charged me twice, sending me over my agreed limit, with charges and interest added
I rang them and then after about a week, they refunded me......TWICE!!!
Surprisingly, they noticed this mistake immeadiately and phoned me, saying unless I sorted it asap, they would put a stop on my delivery

So A Great Big NO to T/R from me........
Wow what an experience, I am coming from Alberta can I ask the costs?
Old Jan 30th 2012, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

marietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nice

Originally Posted by Back2UK
Wow what an experience, I am coming from Alberta can I ask the costs?
£3777.00, we packed all the boxes ourselves and even went to their depot in Calgary to pick up wrapping and wrapped our own furniture, I also labelled and numbered everything and did a list of everything, so T/R had to literally walk in and carry the stuff out to the waiting truck, it took them less than an hour, they did say it was the easiest job they had ever had

If we had opted for the 20ft container to ourselves it would have been around £700.00 more ( we would rather have paid this extra instead of waiting the 9 weeks for our stuff with the shared container )

Once the stuff arrived here in the UK, the removal men just brought it in and put it in the room that it should be in, they didn't unwrap anything, we did it all ourselves (lots of trips to the tip )

Only a few minor breakages but as we packed ourselves, they wouldn't insure anything anyway.
Infact we didn't even take out shipping Insurance, I did ask T/R several times about this and they never responded.
The removal man here ( who was a bit of a cockney geezer - his words! and knew everything said they were breaking the law, shipping our goods over without shipping Insurance??
Anyway, thankfully, it didn't get lost at sea and is now all safely back home

The other company we were going to use was EuroTransport, we didn't know too much about them and no one seemed to know either? so we just went with 'better the devil you know'