Wikiposts

Have to rant

Old Oct 25th 2007, 9:17 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have to rant

Originally Posted by on a mission
I'd hate to think one of my kids was being taught by this dude, he's mixed up and obviously needs to go and take time out searching for what he/she wants in life.
You are obviously one of those small men who mistakenly think that always being so self-assured that you never question yourself is a sign of strength.

Why don't you go back to the Australia boards and keep on telling everybody how marvellous you are and what feats you've accomplished.

Last edited by dunroving; Oct 25th 2007 at 9:45 am. Reason: typo - couldn't spell "tw*ts" so had to type "men"
Old Oct 25th 2007, 9:27 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I'd hate to think one of my kids was being taught by this dude, he's mixed up and obviously needs to go and take time out searching for what he/she wants in life.
I've asked you before to refrain from inflammatory remarks and not to post in this forum unless you have something constructive to say.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 9:31 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Well, duh, I see where you made your mistake. In-flamm-a-to-ry has 5 syllables. He can't understand anything with over 3 syllables (that's why he has to say Oz instead of Australia).
Old Oct 25th 2007, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Southern Ontario(house is SOLD on our way back to UK/aug 09)
dewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dunroving
For those of you who are looking forward to returning to the UK, look away (also those of you who have happily moved back).

I am having one of those "What was I THINKING????" days and I just have to get it off my chest.

For long periods of time I manage to just deal with things, but just lately I am finding it difficult to find much that is positive about being back in the UK (and it's more to do with me and my situation than with the UK).

If you've read any of my earlier posts you'll know my financial sitation is screwed, 15 years from retirement and a mortgage I'll never pay off by retirement, never any money left at the end of the month, thanks to the sinking dollar and stupid UK house prices. (In contrast, my finances in the US were just rosy)

Unlike many/most on here, I didn't return to a host of family and friends nearby (been away so long I've lost touch and anyway old college friends are scattered to the winds, am very close to my twin brother but he's overseas). I've tried things like the Ramblers Club (no dogs allowed) and cycling club (way too high a level, I got dropped) and am just struggling to meet people. (Again, in contrast, in the US I formed a good circle of friends pretty quickly).

Now just lately, my job situation is going pear-shaped. Higher education seems to have changed a lot just in the past few years - large classes, disinterested students who (a) don't even attend, (b) don't do any studying between classes, long lessons (3 hours for undergraduates is madness), mountains of bureacracy, blah, blah. Added to that, our Faculty and Department is going through some drastic changes and there is so much uncertainty it's very unsettling. Consequently, I'm spending half my life doing trivial "busy work" and the other half trying to entertain a room full of kids who'd rather be surfing Youtube. I have never been so disenchanted with teaching university students, though I'm really trying. (In contrast, although also very busy, my job in the States was extremely rewarding, I loved the students and we had a great time in class (heck, even the students who failed my class would be happy to see me second - or third - time around), my research program was stimulating (whereas there seem to be so many hurdles to doing research here in the UK). It dawned on me today that this job is more like teaching secondary shool than university. It's really been the last straw.

I'm just really, really discouraged right now and even when I'm walking the dog on the hills (which I certainly realize I'm lucky to have), I find myself ruminating on things like "What did I do?" and trying to find the positives, with little success.

OK, rant over.
Hope you feel better! It's all good to release neg energy...Hope it gets better for you, at least you have a job?

Wish I was where you were in the UK? hehe...
Old Oct 25th 2007, 9:51 am
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by Marmalade
I hope that this does not turn into a Scottish bashing thread!! Reading the above post and the comments about the fact that the teacher was from Scotland does not mean that we are all like that!! I hope that it wasn't meant this way. I am from Scotland, and a teacher, and would never in my wildest dreams say anything like that to my students

Good luck with your decision Dunroving; it is a difficult one.
I have always been impressed by the Scots, especially the guy last week standing atop Edinburgh Castle in a kilt with a strong westerly blowing.

But really, they are the salt of the earth, as down to earth as they get (Glaswegians especially).
Old Oct 25th 2007, 10:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Have to rant

Dunroving, thanks for the kind comments. Yes, Glaswegians are a wonderful bunch. You weren't standing below the guy in the kilt now were you??
Old Oct 25th 2007, 10:06 am
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by Marmalade
Dunroving, thanks for the kind comments. Yes, Glaswegians are a wonderful bunch. You weren't standing below the guy in the kilt now were you??
Aye, an' ae cannae see straight nae mair! [where's the Scottish smiley when you need it?]
Old Oct 25th 2007, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Seeing how chilly it's been lately, you probably wouldn't have had much to look at
Old Oct 25th 2007, 1:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

I have read your comments since you returned to the UK with interest. I am sorry to hear about your confusion. Think of the reasons why you left the US. Something made you pack up your possesions, leave your job and cross the atlantic to live in the UK. I know you are feeling bad right now, but will coming back to the US solve your problems? My suggestion (for what its worth) is for you to stay where you are for a year or two, give it some time. Your brother will be coming back soon and then you will feel more connected. It is possible that you are going through some reverse culture shock. I am sorry to hear about your troubles. Good luck!
Old Oct 25th 2007, 6:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

on a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud of

See you shouldnt assume my background, thats a mistake, and I love the "small man" quote, tickled me that one, but doesnt really sink in enough to offend, keep trying.

I can empathise with everything you are going through, been there and done it myself. Im not self assured infact quite the opposite, but the only silver spoon in life I have been given is the one I found myself and keep polishing.

Youre quite a travelled person, and must be worth your weight in gold with regards experience, I find it strange your are so confused and have reacted in such a sensitive manner. Maybe your ambitions and expections are extremely high, and you have jumped a few steps, that you should walked up first...

Yes I maynot be the smartest person in the world, no degree, infact dropped out of it 2nd year, but have the ability to get on with it, and make decisions and deal with the consequences, no-one to pick up the pieces for me.

I suggest, just a sug-est-ion, that you find what your looking for and go for it.

If its the US, book a flight and go, the longer you dwell on your negative thoughts the more you excerbate them and become so deluded and not see the wood for the trees. From my experience I got so opioniated, that I was right when the answer was infront me.

CHill out, if you are in Wales, that wont help neither. Maybe being academia isnt for you I dont know anything about you, just maying basic summations from your posts.

Cheers

"the small man"

Originally Posted by dunroving
You are obviously one of those small men who mistakenly think that always being so self-assured that you never question yourself is a sign of strength.

Why don't you go back to the Australia boards and keep on telling everybody how marvellous you are and what feats you've accomplished.

Last edited by on a mission; Oct 25th 2007 at 7:02 pm.
Old Oct 26th 2007, 12:45 am
BE Enthusiast

TaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond repute

I edited this out, as I saw that other people have responded to OP (sorry, a bit late) and I didn't want to keep things going. However, I will say I have a lot of respect for Dunroving and appreciate his comments and help over the past few months.

Last edited by TaraC; Oct 26th 2007 at 12:47 am.
Old Oct 26th 2007, 3:06 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TaraC
I edited this out, as I saw that other people have responded to OP (sorry, a bit late) and I didn't want to keep things going. However, I will say I have a lot of respect for Dunroving and appreciate his comments and help over the past few months.

Mr Dunroving = good guy. A genuine gent unafraid to show his real side on an issue that exposes true vulnerability. Good on my friend for continuing to have the bravery to show that the dilemma and confusion of immigration on the sensitive soul continues long after the plane ride ends.
Old Oct 27th 2007, 12:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Bit harsh don't you think?
IMO takes a lot of courage to be so open on these forums & has been said by others, better to vent on here than in class!
If you have nothing constructive to say...shut up!
Old Oct 27th 2007, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

He won't shut up because he only comes on this forum to wind people up. Why the mods don't ban him from this forum where he has ABSOLUTELY NO INTEREST is beyond me.
Old Oct 27th 2007, 9:59 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scout
He won't shut up because he only comes on this forum to wind people up. Why the mods don't ban him from this forum where he has ABSOLUTELY NO INTEREST is beyond me.
Because being a twonk isn't a reason to be banned.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.