Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Have I picked the right place?

Have I picked the right place?

Old Nov 28th 2012, 11:59 am
  #46  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Sunny, sunny Eastbourne UK, was Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 77
ramblingsue has a brilliant futureramblingsue has a brilliant futureramblingsue has a brilliant futureramblingsue has a brilliant futureramblingsue has a brilliant futureramblingsue has a brilliant future
Default Re: Have I picked the right place?

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool View Post
Sounds charming, Sally, but I am still partial to Canterbury. If we can hop on a bus to the sea, that should be close enough. We'll be coming over in the next year or so for a good look around. Will set up base in Canterbury but I think hubby would like to head over to Eastbourne for a day or so. Sounds like a plan.
We are moving to Eastbourne in 4 weeks time , so perhaps I will be able to offer information as I find out myself ! We are retiring, hubby's 62 and I am 55, so may look for part time work later as well, will see how it goes.

We have visited Eastbourne a few times over the past 3 years as my parents moved there and both really like it ourselves. It's on the sea , lovely double promenade with lots of plantings as well as the immaculately kept carpet gardens. There's Beachy Head - great for country walks on the South Downs, small villages around , frequent trains to London and Gatwick . Sovereign Harbour Marina at the other end of the pier (which is way way better than Brighton's !!), buses to Brighton .

Have a look at www.visiteastbourne.com to see what's going on. Lots of theatres and pubs. The town centre is somewhat drab, though there are plans to extend the Arndale shopping centre but the seafront is lovely.

I, likewise will plan to visit Canterbury after all these great posts !!!
ramblingsue is offline  
Old Nov 28th 2012, 12:04 pm
  #47  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Sunny, sunny Eastbourne UK, was Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 77
ramblingsue has a brilliant futureramblingsue has a brilliant futureramblingsue has a brilliant futureramblingsue has a brilliant futureramblingsue has a brilliant futureramblingsue has a brilliant future
Default Re: Have I picked the right place?

Originally Posted by Sally Redux View Post
I'm not saying it's fabulous, but it's a pleasant enough place with a seaside vibe, it used to be very much a place for retirees but I've seen it get much hipper over the years, I'd be fine about living there myself. Seems friendly with plenty of clubs and activities. My Mum doesn't have a car, there are plenty of buses, you've got a train station and the taxis seem to be very good and plentiful because I think a lot of the older folk use them.

Have a look on Rightmove for rentals. They have a new art gallery which is pretty good (Towner), a lot of the theatres cater to the tourist trade but you will be able to find entertainment, pub music etc.
Sally, I remember we talked about Eastbourne before, can you tell me if you know what the St. Anthony's /Roseland area is like ? We are moving to Eastbourne in a months time .
Thanks
ramblingsue is offline  
Old Nov 28th 2012, 1:08 pm
  #48  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Perth's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Back in the UK!
Posts: 2,404
Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have I picked the right place?

Originally Posted by ramblingsue View Post
We are moving to Eastbourne in 4 weeks time , so perhaps I will be able to offer information as I find out myself ! We are retiring, hubby's 62 and I am 55, so may look for part time work later as well, will see how it goes.

We have visited Eastbourne a few times over the past 3 years as my parents moved there and both really like it ourselves. It's on the sea , lovely double promenade with lots of plantings as well as the immaculately kept carpet gardens. There's Beachy Head - great for country walks on the South Downs, small villages around , frequent trains to London and Gatwick . Sovereign Harbour Marina at the other end of the pier (which is way way better than Brighton's !!), buses to Brighton .

Have a look at www.visiteastbourne.com to see what's going on. Lots of theatres and pubs. The town centre is somewhat drab, though there are plans to extend the Arndale shopping centre but the seafront is lovely.

I, likewise will plan to visit Canterbury after all these great posts !!!
I would very much appreciate that! I visited the website before and thought it was very enticing. I look forward to visiting both Eastbourne and Canterbury. I guess that is the only way you can ever come to a decision. You have to like the "feel" of a place. I am from London, but will not return there because of the expense, and also wanting to be by the sea. I did go to boarding school in S. Devon for three years but am not attracted to going back there except to visit.
Perth is offline  
Old Nov 28th 2012, 1:13 pm
  #49  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Perth's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Back in the UK!
Posts: 2,404
Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have I picked the right place?

Originally Posted by Okuda View Post
Loads of buses all the time to Hernebay/Whitsable/Margate/Broadstairs and so on!
That is fabulous, but could we do it every day if we were so inclined? (I mean during good weather, of course). Cost and time of return trips? One thing that Eastbourne has going for it, as hubby says, is that we are already there.

One other concern...if anyone knows, which of the two is more agreeable for retirees? Understand that both have a younger population, but which is all in all a quieter way of life?
Perth is offline  
Old Nov 28th 2012, 2:53 pm
  #50  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Grenada WI
Posts: 2,833
Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have I picked the right place?

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool View Post
Maybe, just maybe, I may have found a compromise? Faversham? Closer to the coast, great for retirees. Thoughts anyone?
Worth checking out Oare and the Abbey Street area which is lovely. Also The Brents. I find much of Faversham rather chavvy* for my taste and it seems to have a bit of a reputation that way.

It's hard to get to the actual sea from there but the creek comes right into the town and there is a walkway along it.

Canterbury is dead easy by train, as is Whitstable. It's not the transportation hub that Canterbury is and it definitely does not have the shops, though it does have good food shops and the fish from Oare, plus a regular Tesco.

*Overall, that rather put me off Faversham but otherwise I was tempted
Pistolpete2 is offline  
Old Nov 28th 2012, 3:16 pm
  #51  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Perth's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Back in the UK!
Posts: 2,404
Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have I picked the right place?

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2 View Post
Worth checking out Oare and the Abbey Street area which is lovely. Also The Brents. I find much of Faversham rather chavvy* for my taste and it seems to have a bit of a reputation that way.

It's hard to get to the actual sea from there but the creek comes right into the town and there is a walkway along it.

Canterbury is dead easy by train, as is Whitstable. It's not the transportation hub that Canterbury is and it definitely does not have the shops, though it does have good food shops and the fish from Oare, plus a regular Tesco.

*Overall, that rather put me off Faversham but otherwise I was tempted
I just crossed Faversham off my list (and deleted my message..haha) as I did a bit more research. Was initially attracted by the "artistic community" there, but quickly turned of by the chavism. So are you saying that's not much of a problem in Canterbury?
Perth is offline  
Old Nov 28th 2012, 3:31 pm
  #52  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Grenada WI
Posts: 2,833
Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have I picked the right place?

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool View Post
I just crossed Faversham off my list (and deleted my message..haha) as I did a bit more research. Was initially attracted by the "artistic community" there, but quickly turned of by the chavism. So are you saying that's not much of a problem in Canterbury?
Faversham was more known for druggy issues.

I should defer to others ref that but I was more attracted to the area where St Dunstans and Station Road West is when taking it into account and trying to alleviate the possibilities. It's best to seek out solid residential areas and as has been said, there are others, while Sturry and Hersden are not necessarily favoured.

Remember that a British Expat is not a homogenous product and we all have our individual concerns which others might not have - confrontations regarding race, for example.

Remember also that you can research crime and ASBOs on police.uk, if you insert the required postcode. I use CT2 8SD for Station Road West.
Pistolpete2 is offline  
Old Nov 28th 2012, 3:44 pm
  #53  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 41,518
Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have I picked the right place?

Originally Posted by ramblingsue View Post
Sally, I remember we talked about Eastbourne before, can you tell me if you know what the St. Anthony's /Roseland area is like ? We are moving to Eastbourne in a months time .
Thanks
I'm afraid I don't know any specifics about that area but it's convenient for everything and it's very nice around the marina. I can try asking my mum if there's something particular you need to know?
Sally Redux is offline  
Old Nov 28th 2012, 4:02 pm
  #54  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Grenada WI
Posts: 2,833
Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have I picked the right place?

You could consider being close to Eastbourne but not actually in the "urban" area by settling somewhere, for example, within the triangle that is:

Polegate - Alfriston - Seaford

Trains at Polegate and Seaford

http://www.alfriston-village.co.uk/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfriston

You could currently get away without having a car even in Alfriston. Not sure about in five years time.
Pistolpete2 is offline  
Old Nov 28th 2012, 4:05 pm
  #55  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 41,518
Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have I picked the right place?

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2 View Post
You could consider being close to Eastbourne but not actually in the "urban" area by settling somewhere, for example, within the triangle that is:

Polegate - Alfriston - Seaford

Trains at Polegate and Seaford

http://www.alfriston-village.co.uk/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfriston

You could currently get away without having a car even in Alfriston. Not sure about in five years time.
Alfriston is beautiful but I've heard it's super snobby.
Sally Redux is offline  
Old Nov 28th 2012, 4:17 pm
  #56  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 86
Okuda will become famous soon enoughOkuda will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Have I picked the right place?

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool View Post
That is fabulous, but could we do it every day if we were so inclined? (I mean during good weather, of course). Cost and time of return trips? One thing that Eastbourne has going for it, as hubby says, is that we are already there.

One other concern...if anyone knows, which of the two is more agreeable for retirees? Understand that both have a younger population, but which is all in all a quieter way of life?
Yup, you could go every day, buses run every 20 minutes or so from Canterbury bus station, right in the center of town, you also have the option of hopping on the train to get to Herne bay, Canterbury East, switch at Faversham if I remember correctly, about a 25 minute train ride cause of the switch. Cost .. few quid return, not much at all really. Not sure of your age but senior citizens get a reduced rate too.

I don't really know anything about Eastbourne but Canterbury has a lot of older people there, I think its good because everything is pretty much walkable. For quick trips around town they have the smaller 'hopper' buses that just work within the city rather than the big double deckers that take you to other towns .. which work better for the older generation.

My Nan is 79 and lives just outside Canterbury in Chartham, a little village .. about 3 miles out? You head out via whincheap going towards Ashford. Nice and quiet, she still drives, but there's a train station right there that takes you to Canterbury West and the top of the high street. There's also buses. My Grandma lives Chartham also, she's 76 and does not drive, gets the bus up to Thanet to play Bingo each week! hah. She gets the bus/train in to town by her self. I'd say it's quite friendly for the older generation.
Okuda is offline  
Old Nov 28th 2012, 4:33 pm
  #57  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 86
Okuda will become famous soon enoughOkuda will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Have I picked the right place?

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool View Post
I just crossed Faversham off my list (and deleted my message..haha) as I did a bit more research. Was initially attracted by the "artistic community" there, but quickly turned of by the chavism. So are you saying that's not much of a problem in Canterbury?
I lived in Faversham for a little while in my teens. The thing is with Faversham is there's just not a whole lot to do there for the kids so they tend to 'entertain' them selves you know? They have the Army Cadets, Sea Cadets and Air Cadets there and if the kids are lucky enough to find them and get some structure and friendships and get them selves off the streets a couple nights a week, its all good, but other than that you'll find them hanging around a lot. Large gaggles of kids hanging around automatically get the tag of 'chavs'
Don't get me wrong, there are a few rough spots, like the estate down behind the brewery and such and there are some less than desirable folks around that way but really.. there is just not a whole lot to do there.

With THAT said tho, I'd not write it off totally as with *anywhere* it has its nice parts and it has its crappy parts.
As mentioned before, with Canterbury, you could not pay me enough, not even lottery money to live up Sturry road way. That way is absolutely heinous. I'd rather live in a bloody box. But then you look up New Dover Road, Old Dover Road, St Dunstans, Even around some of the Whincheap area (heading towards Thannington is still ok, but some roads are a bit dodgy) and there are some wonderful places.
Okuda is offline  
Old Nov 28th 2012, 4:36 pm
  #58  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Perth's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Back in the UK!
Posts: 2,404
Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have I picked the right place?

Originally Posted by Okuda View Post
Yup, you could go every day, buses run every 20 minutes or so from Canterbury bus station, right in the center of town, you also have the option of hopping on the train to get to Herne bay, Canterbury East, switch at Faversham if I remember correctly, about a 25 minute train ride cause of the switch. Cost .. few quid return, not much at all really. Not sure of your age but senior citizens get a reduced rate too.

I don't really know anything about Eastbourne but Canterbury has a lot of older people there, I think its good because everything is pretty much walkable. For quick trips around town they have the smaller 'hopper' buses that just work within the city rather than the big double deckers that take you to other towns .. which work better for the older generation.

My Nan is 79 and lives just outside Canterbury in Chartham, a little village .. about 3 miles out? You head out via whincheap going towards Ashford. Nice and quiet, she still drives, but there's a train station right there that takes you to Canterbury West and the top of the high street. There's also buses. My Grandma lives Chartham also, she's 76 and does not drive, gets the bus up to Thanet to play Bingo each week! hah. She gets the bus/train in to town by her self. I'd say it's quite friendly for the older generation.
I'm liking it more and more! Just to add another thing to the pot: DD may be going to university to do a post graduate nursing degree at some point. Canterbury Christ Church has one in neo-natal nursing, which is exactly what she wants to do. We are planning on coming over in a year or so to look around. Any recommendations for accommodations? We will not rent a car, so want to be close to the center.
Perth is offline  
Old Nov 28th 2012, 4:39 pm
  #59  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Perth's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Back in the UK!
Posts: 2,404
Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have I picked the right place?

Originally Posted by Okuda View Post
I lived in Faversham for a little while in my teens. The thing is with Faversham is there's just not a whole lot to do there for the kids so they tend to 'entertain' them selves you know? They have the Army Cadets, Sea Cadets and Air Cadets there and if the kids are lucky enough to find them and get some structure and friendships and get them selves off the streets a couple nights a week, its all good, but other than that you'll find them hanging around a lot. Large gaggles of kids hanging around automatically get the tag of 'chavs'
Don't get me wrong, there are a few rough spots, like the estate down behind the brewery and such and there are some less than desirable folks around that way but really.. there is just not a whole lot to do there.

With THAT said tho, I'd not write it off totally as with *anywhere* it has its nice parts and it has its crappy parts.
As mentioned before, with Canterbury, you could not pay me enough, not even lottery money to live up Sturry road way. That way is absolutely heinous. I'd rather live in a bloody box. But then you look up New Dover Road, Old Dover Road, St Dunstans, Even around some of the Whincheap area (heading towards Thannington is still ok, but some roads are a bit dodgy) and there are some wonderful places.
Umm yeah, Faversham is out So, when we come to look around we want to look at places to rent. Not looking to buy initially until we are settled. Where abouts would you suggest? Thanks for all your help
Perth is offline  
Old Nov 28th 2012, 4:45 pm
  #60  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Perth's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Back in the UK!
Posts: 2,404
Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have I picked the right place?

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2 View Post
Faversham was more known for druggy issues.

I should defer to others ref that but I was more attracted to the area where St Dunstans and Station Road West is when taking it into account and trying to alleviate the possibilities. It's best to seek out solid residential areas and as has been said, there are others, while Sturry and Hersden are not necessarily favoured.

Remember that a British Expat is not a homogenous product and we all have our individual concerns which others might not have - confrontations regarding race, for example.

Remember also that you can research crime and ASBOs on police.uk, if you insert the required postcode. I use CT2 8SD for Station Road West.
Race not a problem, youth not a problem generally ...unless they are out of control
Perth is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.