Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Have I done *too much* research?

Have I done *too much* research?

Old Mar 2nd 2009, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

Chipbarm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Have I done *too much* research?

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Then she really hasn't done her homework has she
Indeed. She doesn't want to hear anything "negative" hence I now keep my gob shut. She has a lot riding on this move: she's decided she dislikes the UK and her life here, so if Canada isn't this perfect recession-free place where she can work less hours and have a big fab house, then what else is there? As she says, she has no Plan B so it has to work. If she hears anything she deems to be negative then it makes it less likely to happen for her.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 4:10 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

You should send her here to read all about it
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 8:33 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chipbarm
Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to reply. Your responses are interesting and thought provoking.

Cricket - I am 31; Mr chipbarm is the same age (no kids, and no plans for them either). We're pretty content with our lot. Like I said, we were only going to go for the experience - nothing more. My friend is 37, and is moving with her husband and 3 kids. She says she hates the UK and her reasons for going are so she can find a better life: bigger house, more leisure time, better school for the kids. Maybe that's why it's a 'no-brainer' for her and not for me. I can't find a good reason to leave a content life... she's not so content and can find several reasons.

We all went on holiday to Vancouver and Calgary a couple of years ago and we have very good memories of the holiday. I know holidays are different - I did plan on another couple of trips before I made my final decision anyway; but making them research trips instead of holidays.

Thanks again, everyone. You're right of course, we need to make a couple more trips there - we have no hope of making a rational decision on the basis of one great holiday two years ago. In the meantime, Mr chipbarm and I had a chat last night and decided that while we're saving up for those research trips we're going to do a grand tour of Great Britain and see what this green and lovely land has to offer.

In that case, if you're in your early 30's, you've plenty of time to take a few risks, make some mistakes and recover from them. You've got at least 35 years of employment left to take a gamble. If it doesn't work, at least you've had the experience.
It's a shame that your friend wants to leave because 'she hates the UK'. A lot of people leave thinking the grass is greener but then return. Has she tried living in another part of the UK or is she just over it and wants to try living somewhere else?
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 9:11 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricket1
You can never know if it was the right or wrong choice until you're in hindsight. I think that's why so many people feel homesick. Even homesickness can be a feeling created by uncertainty, lack of closure, unfulfilled expectation and then you'll get feelings you never expected to feel. It's not really till you land in the meadow of feeling 'at home' in yourself, that you feel comfortable anywhere then you're usually ready for the grave. Hopefully before this you will have lived life a bit anyway. I wouldn't spend too long on these forums either, they can be misleading. Go with your instinct instead.

I would go for a holiday, just to get a feel for the place, although a holiday is far different to the reality of everyday living in a different country. You can't tell if you or your friend will succeed better just by researching because both of you will have different levels of adapting to different situations.

Just out of interest, how old are you?
HUH !!! I knew something was wrong
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 9:18 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

No, they don't have long commutes. They both work a lot of overtime here - weekends, evenings - to help cover their mortgage, bills, and so on. She believes that they won't need to work overtime anymore in Canada - therefore freeing up more leisure time in the evenings and weekends. I think she believes that the cost of living might be lower and they'll get more house for their money.
So she wants BIG house LESS work and MORE leisure in CANADA

She'll be LUCKY to get any work any leisure and a shed......the way things are going
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 9:26 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sans
HUH !!! I knew something was wrong
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 2:15 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed. She doesn't want to hear anything "negative" hence I now keep my gob shut. She has a lot riding on this move: she's decided she dislikes the UK and her life here, so if Canada isn't this perfect recession-free place where she can work less hours and have a big fab house, then what else is there? As she says, she has no Plan B so it has to work. If she hears anything she deems to be negative then it makes it less likely to happen for her.
In my, possibly limited, experience, they are the ones for whom the migration lark will not work. Anyone who migrates by escaping their previous country is heading for heartache. You have to be drawn to the new country, rather than be pushed from the old.

Most of the 'issues' she/they have with the UK, will be found in spades anywhere else and 9 times out of 10 are in the person's head anyway so they'll take their baggage with them.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 2:41 am
Banned

If I were you, I'd make sure you leave a route back to the UK just in case. Keep a bank account open and your name on the electoral register, use a friend or relative's address, just to keep your credit rating good.
Things might work out really well but if it wasn't what you wanted, it will be easier to move back to the UK if you leave a few doors open.
Why does your partner not like her life in the UK? Is it just her lifestyle she doesn't like or the UK itself?
Does she like you?
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 7:55 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

Originally Posted by cricket1
If I were you, I'd make sure you leave a route back to the UK just in case. Keep a bank account open and your name on the electoral register, use a friend or relative's address, just to keep your credit rating good.
Things might work out really well but if it wasn't what you wanted, it will be easier to move back to the UK if you leave a few doors open.
Why does your partner not like her life in the UK? Is it just her lifestyle she doesn't like or the UK itself?
Does she like you?
Just to add.....I would also advise anyone to leave as much money as poss in the UK.........And try living on what you can earn in Canada from scratch, at least until your sure its for you...Better safe then sorry

And i have genuine reasons for saying that
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 9:36 am
Just Joined

Chipbarm is an unknown quantity at this point

She's not my partner - she's a friend who's thinking of moving there with her husband and kids. This came after Mr chipbarm and I started looking into it for ourselves.

I think she's bored here. You know, the daily grind of work, overtime, household stuff, dealing with kids etc. Interesting question on whether it's her lifestyle or the UK she doesn't like. She'd say it was the UK, but I'd guess it was her lifestyle TBH.

Mr chipbarm and I have started planning our tour of Great Britain. We're pretty excited! We've decided to treat ourselves as if we were tourists. So we're going to get tourist books from the library and go on guided tours - you know, like those open-top buses and the like. We're going to buy kagoules , stay in caravans, have butties out of tupperware tubs, drink tea from flasks and have scones with cream and jam on them. Today I'm off to the library to see what tourist books they have.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 9:42 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

She's not my partner - she's a friend who's thinking of moving there with her husband and kids. This came after Mr chipbarm and I started looking into it for ourselves.

I think she's bored here. You know, the daily grind of work, overtime, household stuff, dealing with kids etc. Interesting question on whether it's her lifestyle or the UK she doesn't like. She'd say it was the UK, but I'd guess it was her lifestyle TBH.

Mr chipbarm and I have started planning our tour of Great Britain. We're pretty excited! We've decided to treat ourselves as if we were tourists. So we're going to get tourist books from the library and go on guided tours - you know, like those open-top buses and the like. We're going to buy kagoules , stay in caravans, have butties out of tupperware tubs, drink tea from flasks and have scones with cream and jam on them. Today I'm off to the library to see what tourist books they have.
Sounds great Expecially the part with the butties and cream scones Mmmm
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 9:43 am
Banned

What a fantastic idea! Seeing the UK through a tourists eyes. I'm researching in the same way on the internet because I'm bringing my English husband home except it was 30 years ago when he last visited so I'm gathering a library of places and things to do when we land.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 9:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Diggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to all

Good luck whatever you decide to do. (Dont come to Manchester though, its a dump)
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 10:04 am
BE Enthusiast

backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Diggler
Good luck whatever you decide to do. (Dont come to Manchester though, its a dump)
Excuse me?

How dare you insult the greatest city on earth like that!!!

I take it you're not originally from Manchester or there's no way you'd be saying that!
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 10:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Diggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to all

Originally Posted by backagen
Excuse me?

How dare you insult the greatest city on earth like that!!!

I take it you're not originally from Manchester or there's no way you'd be saying that!
I used to be proud to be from here. Dont get me wrong, i like the City Centre. The rest of it has gone downhill though !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.