Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Has the Coronavirus pandemic changed anyone's plans moving back to the UK?

Has the Coronavirus pandemic changed anyone's plans moving back to the UK?

Old Jul 7th 2020, 6:30 am
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Has the Coronavirus pandemic changed anyone's plans moving back to the UK?

The Wife and I had originally planned to have our youngest at University in California this year but due to the outbreak we don't feel safe for him to attend in person classes, and for that reason he will be among many freshman doing online learning. We definitely don't anticipate circumstances making a major improvement in the next 6 months and so we're considering several options. Here in Florida the outbreak is raging and we have a governor that is pretending like it doesn't exist in order to protect his own political prospects. And even when a new Administration does take over in Washington in January it's still going to take over a year before we see a drastic difference in the outbreak numbers.

So for that reason we are considering a move to Europe by May of next year which we hope will be more than enough time to evaluate how our youngest is performing in this new reality and how well the UK has gotten control of their outbreak situation on the ground which by the way is better than here in the States. The numbers pretty much tell the story and from all available data there are several countries in Europe which have done an excellent job in slowing the growth of the spread of virus. And it's been based on science rather than politics.

I'm curious to know have any of you that was planning a move to the UK instead considered a lateral move to a different neighboring nation because of the coronavirus pandemic?

The Wife and I have been discussing the possible option of moving to a nearby country like Ireland so that way she can feel safer while still being reasonably near her family in Manchester. Before the pandemic my wife was reluctantly ok with staying in the States a bit longer in order for our youngest to make the adjustment to college life. But now in the current reality she is pretty much anti-America because the infusion of politics in dealing with the virus is making where we live far far less safe.
Old Jul 8th 2020, 1:00 am
Just Joined

1speedy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Has the Coronavirus pandemic changed anyone's plans moving back to the UK?

We were planning on going back to North Wales this summer to look for a house seriously, as last year we had a two week visit early on in the year and we sort of looked but was not too sure about it, but then we thought why not go back this summer see how it really is with tourists etc. and really spend some time looking at homes of course that isn't going to happen now. This would have been our first summer visit since we left back in 1981. I guess all plans are on hold for now and it's funny never felt so trapped in all our life as for going anywhere, safely.
Old Jul 8th 2020, 2:33 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has the Coronavirus pandemic changed anyone's plans moving back to the UK?

We're planning to move back in 2023, and to start the process we were due to fly to Manchester in two weeks' time for what was going to be the first in a short series of annual trips back to scout out possible places to retire to.
Obviously that's not happening this year, and I don't think we'll be getting on a plane to anywhere until there's a vaccine.
Old Jul 8th 2020, 4:27 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

If the virus is a big issue in your move, then have you considered Scotland? The four nations of the U.K. have handled the pandemic in their own way and generally all better than England. Here in Scotland for example, yesterday we only had two new cases. But, our lockdown was harder and the easing slower. For example, in England you can go to a pub. Here, pubs only reopened on Monday but only for outdoor areas such as beer gardens. Cost of living is also lower than England. But, if you want to visit Manchester it is just a trip down the motorway
Old Jul 8th 2020, 8:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Many had to cancel their plans for now and I suppose if you want to feel safer, avoid crowds or densely populated areas. The Isle of Man was one of the first places to ease restrictions but people there will probably be more responsible than in other parts of the country. Where we live in Ireland, people really did seem to keep the distance and again having less people around you does help. Unfortunately it looks like we have a long way to go and I'm still not sure if we'll be able to travel again in October if another wave comes.
Old Jul 8th 2020, 10:47 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I've had to completely change the plans for my future life, nothing to do with feeling safe. I'm too much of a fatalist, if its going to kill me then it will, no matter what I do or where I am (tbh the sooner it does kill me the better as I do not relish spending my last years in HMP Australia).
I was heading home this year to sort out some practicalities, like checking out which bit of Brighton to retire to, getting familiar with how things work again over there etc. Plan was to retire and move at some point between 2023 and 2026. Then the bottom fell out of the superannuation market and I now cannot afford to both pay my debts and move, so I have to settle for rotting away over here. Can't even go home and visit anyone, which is tough when I can count my friends here on one hand, and everyone else is back home.
I'll be working till at least 2031 and probably beyond if my health holds up. That in itself as doubtful as I won't be able to pay for any treatment and medicare here is nowhere near as generous as the wonderful NHS.

So it hasn't so much changed my plans as turned them into a plane crash.
Old Jul 8th 2020, 6:47 pm
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 1speedy
We were planning on going back to North Wales this summer to look for a house seriously, as last year we had a two week visit early on in the year and we sort of looked but was not too sure about it, but then we thought why not go back this summer see how it really is with tourists etc. and really spend some time looking at homes of course that isn't going to happen now. This would have been our first summer visit since we left back in 1981. I guess all plans are on hold for now and it's funny never felt so trapped in all our life as for going anywhere, safely.
We know exactly how you feel. So many people are being forced to put plans on hold and really all we can do is try and be optimistic in hoping things make a mark improvement sooner rather than later. It feel at times we think about safety so often in numerous context, that it's become second nature almost. Just the simple process of buying groceries is an execution in safety procedure. And depending on where we are individually the threat to our safety is more real in America. I hope you're able to restart your plans moving back to the UK in the not too distant future.
Old Jul 8th 2020, 7:03 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by ianandhelena
We're planning to move back in 2023, and to start the process we were due to fly to Manchester in two weeks' time for what was going to be the first in a short series of annual trips back to scout out possible places to retire to.
Obviously that's not happening this year, and I don't think we'll be getting on a plane to anywhere until there's a vaccine.
We've been having that same conversation about modes of travel and the idea of getting on a ship or jet for the next year feels very problematic. I know people that have flown domestically without any issues, but it just feels like asking for trouble imo.
Old Jul 8th 2020, 7:10 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by verystormy
If the virus is a big issue in your move, then have you considered Scotland? The four nations of the U.K. have handled the pandemic in their own way and generally all better than England. Here in Scotland for example, yesterday we only had two new cases. But, our lockdown was harder and the easing slower. For example, in England you can go to a pub. Here, pubs only reopened on Monday but only for outdoor areas such as beer gardens. Cost of living is also lower than England. But, if you want to visit Manchester it is just a trip down the motorway
May I ask if you live near the larger cities?

My poor wife is more of a social butterfly than I and for that reason this lockdown has been really tough on her. I'm hoping things improve substantially or our youngest might be attending University online not just his first year but his second year as well. Crazy times.
Old Jul 8th 2020, 7:17 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Many had to cancel their plans for now and I suppose if you want to feel safer, avoid crowds or densely populated areas. The Isle of Man was one of the first places to ease restrictions but people there will probably be more responsible than in other parts of the country. Where we live in Ireland, people really did seem to keep the distance and again having less people around you does help. Unfortunately it looks like we have a long way to go and I'm still not sure if we'll be able to travel again in October if another wave comes.
How are things going in the Dublin and Cork areas of the country? Are most people wearing mask and social distancing and is life getting back to normal after the lockdown? We are hearing really good things how Ireland has handled the pandemic. It does make me wonder, could we go Irish!
Old Jul 8th 2020, 7:57 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I've had to completely change the plans for my future life, nothing to do with feeling safe. I'm too much of a fatalist, if its going to kill me then it will, no matter what I do or where I am (tbh the sooner it does kill me the better as I do not relish spending my last years in HMP Australia).
I was heading home this year to sort out some practicalities, like checking out which bit of Brighton to retire to, getting familiar with how things work again over there etc. Plan was to retire and move at some point between 2023 and 2026. Then the bottom fell out of the superannuation market and I now cannot afford to both pay my debts and move, so I have to settle for rotting away over here. Can't even go home and visit anyone, which is tough when I can count my friends here on one hand, and everyone else is back home.
I'll be working till at least 2031 and probably beyond if my health holds up. That in itself as doubtful as I won't be able to pay for any treatment and medicare here is nowhere near as generous as the wonderful NHS.

So it hasn't so much changed my plans as turned them into a plane crash.
Hi Pollyana

I promise you there are millions of people in similar circumstances so do not give up and remember you are not alone. This pandemic came out of no where caught everyone by surprise. Little bye little things will get better so hold fast and make strategic plans and try to create options. Markets will go back up it's what they do. So do your best to keep an optimistic view point even in the face of difficulty. Attitude is hugely important in solving problems and so is networking. And hopefully by next year not only are everyone's finances better but also this crazy pandemic will be much improved.
Old Jul 9th 2020, 5:23 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353
Hi Pollyana

I promise you there are millions of people in similar circumstances so do not give up and remember you are not alone. This pandemic came out of no where caught everyone by surprise. Little bye little things will get better so hold fast and make strategic plans and try to create options. Markets will go back up it's what they do. So do your best to keep an optimistic view point even in the face of difficulty. Attitude is hugely important in solving problems and so is networking. And hopefully by next year not only are everyone's finances better but also this crazy pandemic will be much improved.
Oh I know I am not alone, and many people are far worse off, which leaves me with huge feelings of guilt. I don't discuss this with anyone now except for my best mate, I haven't even told my family that I won't now becoming home. With the prospect of Australia not allowing people out internationally for another 2 years or possibly longer (talk of waiting for an effective vaccine etc) ,I have just had to resign myself to stopping here, like it or not. This country believes that people only leave for fun and holiday, and that we are all happy to stay here indefinitely.
I hear what you are saying about things improving eventually but that could be many years ahead and luck has never been on my side!!
Old Sep 3rd 2020, 2:21 am
Forum Regular

Gloriajean is an unknown quantity at this point

I just arrived a week ago with west jet from Canada to Wales. After 39 years of living in Canada . I decided to come business less people and a night flight got another week of quarantine
Old Sep 3rd 2020, 6:30 am
Just Joined

Rosecampion is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Oh I know I am not alone, and many people are far worse off, which leaves me with huge feelings of guilt. I don't discuss this with anyone now except for my best mate, I haven't even told my family that I won't now becoming home. With the prospect of Australia not allowing people out internationally for another 2 years or possibly longer (talk of waiting for an effective vaccine etc) ,I have just had to resign myself to stopping here, like it or not. This country believes that people only leave for fun and holiday, and that we are all happy to stay here indefinitely.
I hear what you are saying about things improving eventually but that could be many years ahead and luck has never been on my side!!
I’m curious - what’s so terrible about Australia ?
Old Sep 3rd 2020, 11:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

We have been on walkabout from the UK for about a year now and had intended to be away for several years until the place, in my opinion, got it's act straight. That general condition still seems a long way off BUT Covid has worn us down and we've effectively been in lock-down for six months - and there are presently NO direct flights to the UK from here as they are due to restart after October 1st.

There are worse places to be in lock-down and the Grenada Government have taken their responsibilities very seriously BUT there are concerns regarding access to Covid vaccines and testing and the whole business of on/off quarantines in an isolated place like this which very much relies on tourism.

Overall it has been tough though and we still have five months here. Beaches are one thing (haven't been to be beach) but a quiet residential area would be nice!

SO, we now have plans to at least re-set-up the UK as our base as walkabout simply doesn't fit with Covid's routines. We are booked to return to the UK a year from now from France as our last brief sojourn. By then we will likely have got the yearning for other places out of our system good and proper.

Hopefully Tunbridge Wells in Kent is to our liking now as I haven't spent serious time there in fifty years.

Hopefully too we can get to Europe ok via the UK without too much trouble in February but direct connections (via LGW) from here to Algarve - Portugal are not feasible on BA (the Faro flight leaves just before we get in), with whom we have loads of unused vouchers for cancelled flights. If things look grim then we may have to rebook to TAP just to get through Gatwick without actually 'entering' the UK and IF Gatwick is only one terminal then as now.

We too are booking business or seats upfront (on Easyjet) where possible for more space.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Sep 3rd 2020 at 11:22 am. Reason: on Easyjet

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.