British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Has anyone returned to UK from Australia by boat? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/has-anyone-returned-uk-australia-boat-693957/)

dave99 Nov 18th 2010 12:29 am

Has anyone returned to UK from Australia by boat?

Hi all
I am thinking of leaving australia in Jan/Feb and I am wondering if anyone has done the trip by boat. I realise it takes a lot longer but I am not a fan of flying

Has anyone done it?

Buzzy--Bee Nov 18th 2010 8:54 am

Re: Has anyone returned to UK from Australia by boat?

Originally Posted by dave99 (Post 8988550)
Hi all
I am thinking of leaving australia in Jan/Feb and I am wondering if anyone has done the trip by boat. I realise it takes a lot longer but I am not a fan of flying

Has anyone done it?

I think Captain Cook did it some time ago......

BB

brits1 Nov 18th 2010 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee (Post 8989182)
I think Captain Cook did it some time ago......

BB

Yes and looked what happend to him....

brits1 Nov 18th 2010 9:33 am

Hi all

Has anyone done it?

We were considering it...but the timing was never right (such is life) there is a ship that leaves Fremantle via some wonderful stop overs then arrives on the east coast of England, for the stopovers...food etc it was a very good price....

roaringmouse Nov 19th 2010 1:50 am

Cargo ships often have some accommodation available. There are agencies that can deal with bookings for you.

Mummy in the foothills Nov 19th 2010 2:35 am

Doesn't Cunard have a world cruise and stop in OZ? maybe you could be on the return leg.

Beedubya Nov 20th 2010 1:38 am

Hi all

Has anyone done it?

Oh that would be so nice to do.......I love planes and taking off gives me a huge buzz :thumbup: but man that plane trip to England is sooooooo boring and loooooonnggg.......

Wouldn't it be thousands of $$$$$ and I mean thousands :eek:.......let us know when you find out the price......

Seneca21 Nov 22nd 2010 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 8992871)
Oh that would be so nice to do.......I love planes and taking off gives me a huge buzz :thumbup: but man that plane trip to England is sooooooo boring and loooooonnggg.......

Wouldn't it be thousands of $$$$$ and I mean thousands :eek:.......let us know when you find out the price......

I think 12 hours of boredom on a flight is slightly better than six weeks of boredom on a ship/.

Beedubya Nov 22nd 2010 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by Seneca21 (Post 8997750)
I think 12 hours of boredom on a flight is slightly better than six weeks of boredom on a ship/.

The flight from Australia to the UK takes in excess of 24 hours sometimes 30 with connections!! :eek:

My sister is a HUGE fan of cruises, though I don't know about 38 nights that could be a bit much, I looked it up yesterday but didn't even look at the price as I can well imagine how much it will be!! :unsure:

Seneca21 Nov 22nd 2010 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 8997775)
The flight from Australia to the UK takes in excess of 24 hours sometimes 30 with connections!! :eek:

My sister is a HUGE fan of cruises, though I don't know about 38 nights that could be a bit much, I looked it up yesterday but didn't even look at the price as I can well imagine how much it will be!! :unsure:

30 connections? Are you flying from the Outer Hebrides to Woop Woop? LHR to SIN: 12 hours, then break in Singapore, check the zoo out. Have drinks in Raffles. SIN to Australia: 4 to 8 hours.

A max of 20 hours with one connection???

Beedubya Nov 23rd 2010 8:39 am

Originally Posted by Seneca21 (Post 8997792)
30 connections? Are you flying from the Outer Hebrides to Woop Woop? LHR to SIN: 12 hours, then break in Singapore, check the zoo out. Have drinks in Raffles. SIN to Australia: 4 to 8 hours.

A max of 20 hours with one connection???

Seneca, you need to check again........I am not talking about 30 connections (I work for an airline).....I meant 30 hours if you are going via somewhere like Japan ....and I have worked in the industry for over 20 years.

I will be flying ex Sydney to Singapore or Bangkok or wherever the re-fuel will be.......dependent on the airline....then onto Manchester........never less than 23.........and SIN to SYD is 8 hours.......

collybabe24 May 2nd 2011 1:23 am

Originally Posted by brits1 (Post 8989262)
We were considering it...but the timing was never right (such is life) there is a ship that leaves Fremantle via some wonderful stop overs then arrives on the east coast of England, for the stopovers...food etc it was a very good price....

do you have any links as im enquiring about doing the same, thanks

Beedubya May 2nd 2011 6:18 am

Originally Posted by collybabe24 (Post 9337098)
do you have any links as im enquiring about doing the same, thanks

How long have you been back in Australia? I lasted 10 months and came back 9 weeks ago, I would have loved to come by boat.

collybabe24 May 2nd 2011 6:43 am

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9337448)
How long have you been back in Australia? I lasted 10 months and came back 9 weeks ago, I would have loved to come by boat.

Hey it will be a year August :( so done 3 years all in, wish i hadnt come back a second time but my son has been diagnosed over here with aspergers and ADD so im kinda struggling financially and without the support of family around at least if i miss oz again i wont have the option of coming back as our visa runs out the end of the year. Boat sounds great only because i hate flying, its gonna cost $6000 to go by air so goodness knows how much by sea lol

Beedubya May 2nd 2011 7:18 am

Originally Posted by collybabe24 (Post 9337480)
Hey it will be a year August :( so done 3 years all in, wish i hadnt come back a second time but my son has been diagnosed over here with aspergers and ADD so im kinda struggling financially and without the support of family around at least if i miss oz again i wont have the option of coming back as our visa runs out the end of the year. Boat sounds great only because i hate flying, its gonna cost $6000 to go by air so goodness knows how much by sea lol

OK well good luck in whatever you do, there is nothing like having family around when you have children who need support, no amount of beaches and blue skies can make up for that.

Can you stay with family when you get back? I am staying with my sister, been here 9 weeks and still looking for a job, I was hoping to only be here about 6 weeks, don't want to overstay my welcome.:ohmy: