Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Has anyone noticed this...

Wikiposts

Has anyone noticed this...

Old Jan 19th 2009, 11:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

kevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Has anyone noticed this...

I've noticed whilst in Australia that migrants be they Scottish,Irish Italian etc regress to attitudes which reflect what their country was like 10 years before they left. I've noticed this then realised i I was watching Hamish MacBeth on ABC2 which is a 1990's series.I know of an Italian family who arrived in the 70's and there adult daughters are chaperoned!!

Looking at the TV listings I noticed that the Benny Hill Show is on(is that for 80's expats) which was 1970's

I've also noticed the media in Oz love showing the cold snap recently in USA and the Breakfast TV show cheesy anchorman giving it "the best country in the world "line about Oz.

Do the folk who slag you off for saying you prefer the UK read the International Daily Express-I know a Scot who does and thinks it is accurate.
Do a lot of Aussies think the UK is like Sunhill in The Bill
Am I mad?
Old Jan 20th 2009, 3:56 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anyone noticed this...

Originally Posted by kevin747
I've noticed whilst in Australia that migrants be they Scottish,Irish Italian etc regress to attitudes which reflect what their country was like 10 years before they left. I've noticed this then realised i I was watching Hamish MacBeth on ABC2 which is a 1990's series.I know of an Italian family who arrived in the 70's and there adult daughters are chaperoned!!

Looking at the TV listings I noticed that the Benny Hill Show is on(is that for 80's expats) which was 1970's

I've also noticed the media in Oz love showing the cold snap recently in USA and the Breakfast TV show cheesy anchorman giving it "the best country in the world "line about Oz.

Do the folk who slag you off for saying you prefer the UK read the International Daily Express-I know a Scot who does and thinks it is accurate.
Do a lot of Aussies think the UK is like Sunhill in The Bill
Am I mad?
Several Aussies I know think that Benny Hill is up to date UK comedy, and they actually make a point of watching it. They're stunned when I tell them I have no interest in it. Other comedies that've resulted in the same stunned look include On the Buses - people think the UK is still like that nowadays. Same with The Bill - I lost count of the number of people who are surprised that I don't watch it religiously. There genuinely are Aussies who think that Brits only live in high rise flats or Victorian semis.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 6:38 am
BE Enthusiast

islandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to behold

So glad to hear I am not the only Brit who is not a massive Bill fan, for some reason that is the main UK show we seem to get on tv in Aus.

Would agree that many Australians think that is how British life is conducted.

Have also been watching Hamish Macbeth, the place I grew up in was much closer to that (without the quirky characters and unfeasible crimes) than Sun'ill.

Having been here 10+ years I can report that I bought some trashy mags to read on the plane last week and had no idea who any of the people in them were except Ulrika Johnsson, time has moved on but I am caught in a 90s microcosm it would seem. Still with Blur etc re-uniting I will cope on my return I expect, hopefully Catatonia will get back together as well.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 8:41 am
BE Enthusiast

kevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandergirl
So glad to hear I am not the only Brit who is not a massive Bill fan, for some reason that is the main UK show we seem to get on tv in Aus.

Would agree that many Australians think that is how British life is conducted.

Have also been watching Hamish Macbeth, the place I grew up in was much closer to that (without the quirky characters and unfeasible crimes) than Sun'ill.

Having been here 10+ years I can report that I bought some trashy mags to read on the plane last week and had no idea who any of the people in them were except Ulrika Johnsson, time has moved on but I am caught in a 90s microcosm it would seem. Still with Blur etc re-uniting I will cope on my return I expect, hopefully Catatonia will get back together as well.
You're getting out just in time. It's something that would concern me if I was staying.My wife's relatives came here in the 60's and when you visit them it's like being time warped to the Broons
Old Jan 20th 2009, 8:50 am
BE Enthusiast

islandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by kevin747
You're getting out just in time. It's something that would concern me if I was staying.My wife's relatives came here in the 60's and when you visit them it's like being time warped to the Broons
Time warped to the Broons LOL!
I am definitely "90's girl" then, was pretty upset to find Roysters no longer exist last week.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 9:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by islandergirl
Time warped to the Broons LOL!
I am definitely "90's girl" then, was pretty upset to find Roysters no longer exist last week.
What!!! In that case I might stay.I had a Galaxy from the UK last week and it tasted weird.I'll stick to Belgiun chocolate here and in Oz.
I'm a 9o's boy but that's just early middle age.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 7:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Merseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

By the same token, I used to know quite a few Brits at my old workplace who were envious of me coming to Oz because they truly believed that most places in Oz were just like Ramsey Street! Give people a snapshot of another country and they think it represents the whole
Old Jan 21st 2009, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, must admit lots of friends on my FB seem to talk about us getting 'lots of fresh air' over here! Well in Tasmania maybe, but in Adelaide....

They seem to have a picture in their mids eye of how we're living, but I really don't think it bear any resemblance to how we are!

Must dash, just off to the beach (which is 30 seconds away) for a tinnie and a barbie and a spot of surfing - good on'ya cobber!!!!!!!
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 9:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Things are getting so bad that I watched Taggart the other night.It was great for the Glasgow scenes and I spied the number 44 bus which I used to get from Battlefield Rest to Jordanhill for 4 years. Aaaagh!
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 6:14 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

I cant believe that Foxtel can get away with repeatedly showing programmes several years old over and over again. UK TV must be that great they want to see each epsiode at leqast 6 times so they have embedded it in their brains.
I'm not into soap operas and 30yr old Brit comedy apart from a bit of Delboy now and again.

At least they now have the BBC Knowledge channel, but even that is showing years old programmes.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 7:46 am
Just Joined

sometimes has a brilliant futuresometimes has a brilliant futuresometimes has a brilliant futuresometimes has a brilliant futuresometimes has a brilliant futuresometimes has a brilliant futuresometimes has a brilliant future

Same in the UK on Sky they are showing old Australian shows from years ago and then they repeat it 3 or 4 times.Nothing has changed.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 8:00 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sometimes
Same in the UK on Sky they are showing old Australian shows from years ago and then they repeat it 3 or 4 times.Nothing has changed.
But what you failed to add was that UK Sky has a much wider choice of channels and options for viewing including many NEW up to date programming unlike the Aus counterpart. I made a point of researching this when there last year.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 8:08 am
Just Joined

sometimes has a brilliant futuresometimes has a brilliant futuresometimes has a brilliant futuresometimes has a brilliant futuresometimes has a brilliant futuresometimes has a brilliant futuresometimes has a brilliant future

When i was in the uk this year they showed repeats on SKY and more choices on SKY yes repeats form the hour before and the hour before that.I did of research on this .
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 8:23 am
I don't give a damn

Originally Posted by sometimes
When i was in the uk this year they showed repeats on SKY and more choices on SKY yes repeats form the hour before and the hour before that.I did of research on this .
Of course they show repeats, not 1hr but 2hrs apart.Thats what those channels are for! Sky+ etc

There are substanially more channels there, substanially more NEW programming and substanially more choice in what to view.

You must have just landed if you have been there THIS year. I have only been back 3mths, couldnt have changed that much that quickly.

I guess if anyone wishes to check the facts they can get the TV listing for both services and compare.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 10:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Of course they show repeats, not 1hr but 2hrs apart.Thats what those channels are for! Sky+ etc

There are substanially more channels there, substanially more NEW programming and substanially more choice in what to view.

You must have just landed if you have been there THIS year. I have only been back 3mths, couldnt have changed that much that quickly.

I guess if anyone wishes to check the facts they can get the TV listing for both services and compare.
I'll stick to "cooncil hoose telly"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.