Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Has anyone flown internationally with their pet?

Wikiposts

Has anyone flown internationally with their pet?

Old Dec 30th 2009, 8:54 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anyone flown internationally with their pet?

Originally Posted by Ayrria
Never mind, I was just wondering because it seemed lots of people pay relocation companies. I got a quote from the company you surgested and they are very reasonable. The most I'd have to pay would be £540 at the moment. The only thing is that LHR is further from me as we userally use LGW. But if we can be on the same flight I guess it's not bad. I'll deffinatly look into those pads I've actually seen them over here too I think. But If I can't find them I can always ask my brother in law to send me some for her.

What I meant by treating cats poorly was because the other poster said that he would pay more for his cat to be handeled by professionals and I thought it was fine for them to travel as cargo with the flight companies. It's not too bad actually. It's an 8 hour flight across and then a 2 hour flight down but I think we may have 3 hours inbetween flights.

I'll see how things go, we have a lot of money to save up for our big move so I'm glad to know I can get her over there for under £1000. I just hope she travels ok.
Suzy is a dog. She's travelled across the Atlantic three times and came out fine each time. My comment was to do with making sure the paperwork has been done properly, and the fact that the pro's know what they are doing. Relocating to another country usually involves a lot of luggage, and a Vari-kennel containing a 50-lb dog doesn't help. At Manchester Airoprt they didn't have porters or trolleys, which you get at all US airports - so I had to drag her to the check-in, leave her there, and go back to the kerbside to get my luggage (taxi driver hadn't offered any help, of course).

I have heard one or two stories about airlines treating animals badly ... Virgin and BA generally get very good reports on here.
Old Dec 31st 2009, 2:15 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Has anyone flown internationally with their pet?

Originally Posted by avanutria
I also recommend getting some absorbent carrier liners called Dryfur, but you have to order them from the US as they are not carried in the UK. They are like big flat sanitary pads for animal cages. Elbie (the cat) ended up going to the toilet in his cage - I can't blame him, it was 18 hours he was in there - and while there was an odor, he himself was not wet. Dryfur pads come in different color coded sizes and the blue ones fit the Small Vari Kennel very well.
Yep. DryFur pads are excellent!

Originally Posted by PepsiChic
Yes they do it internationally, United Airlines or i believe Delta do it too, you need to call the airline once you've booked your flight and tell them you wish to bring your kitty on as carry-on.
That's right. We used Delta when we brought The Kitten over. We picked them over United 'cos they'll let you bring pets in Business/First whereas on United they're only allowed in Coach.

And The Kitten did not do coach.