Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Has anyone flown internationally with their pet?

Wikiposts

Has anyone flown internationally with their pet?

Old Dec 29th 2009, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

Ayrria is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Has anyone flown internationally with their pet?

I'm planning on taking my cat with me when I move to the US to be with my husband. I'm just wondering how much it costs to take them onboard as cargo? I know you can take them in cabin on internal flights but it's to my understanding they have to go in cargo on international flights. Just a rough figure of how much yours cost would be lovely.
Thanks.
Old Dec 29th 2009, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

salgb has a brilliant futuresalgb has a brilliant futuresalgb has a brilliant futuresalgb has a brilliant futuresalgb has a brilliant futuresalgb has a brilliant future
Default Re: Has anyone flown internationally with their pet?

I recently moved my cat from Los Angeles (LAX) to London (LHR). I used a pet shipping company because of all the paperwork the Brits required. It cost about $1800 USD, plus I had to have the cat microchipped and rabies shots and blood tests.
Unfortunately it hasn't worked out here and we're going back to LA. I contacted Virgin Atlantic who would charge about £800 to ship the cat. British Airways also ships cats.
A UK pet shipper quoted me £1100 for the same trip.
You need to check with the State you are flying to with your cat to make sure you meet any specific requirements they my have for importation.
My understanding is a DEFRA approved Vet has to issue a Health Certificate for the cat no more than 10 days prior to importation. If you intend coming back to the UK I advise getting your cat a Pet Passport to use under the PETS scheme.
You should be able to find more information on shipping animals on an individual airline's web site. You will need to purchase an IATA approved crate, and make sure the size is adequate (BA has a size calculator on its site.) No airline will transport an animal if the ground temperature is below 25C.
I used the pet shipping company because even though it was more expensive, it gave me peace of mind that the cat was handled professionally, and was processed through customs within 2 hours. But obviously you can research what you need to provide at the other end and save a bundle. Hope this helps. Good luck!
Old Dec 29th 2009, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you very much. That really helps
Old Dec 29th 2009, 4:07 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

We recently flew from London Heathrow to Seattle airport with our cat as cargo. We went with a company called Pet Exports UK (http://www.petexports.co.uk/) and I recommend them. We flew on British Airways but they require all animal transportation to be done through a cargo company, and UK Pet Exports works with them. Our costs were:

Small Vari Kennel: about £40
Charges paid to UK Pet Exports for the flight: £380
Fit to Fly Certificate from the Vet: about £70
Collection charge at the other end: $35

He was already microchipped. We also got him up to date on shots and things this summer but we'd have needed to do that anyway so I haven't factored that in. We did get him a rabies vaccination, though that didn't seem to be required for entry to Seattle.

We didn't do any Pet Passport stuff because that is only required for re-entering the UK and it's a one way trip for us.

The Fit to Fly certificate had to be issued within 10 days of the flight for BA, but some airlines require 7 days, so be sure to double check before making your appointment.

Please feel free to ask me any questions!

Last edited by avanutria; Dec 29th 2009 at 4:14 pm.
Old Dec 30th 2009, 12:59 am
Forum Regular

That is so much cheaper! When I was looking at this £2000 figure I was thinking 'oh god how long will it take me to save that much on top of everything else!' But £400 is much more reasonable.

I don't need a pet passport as we are going one way. But I might get one just incase. I was told all the things I need to get done prior to the flight and departure is best to space it out and save £200. That includes all the paperwork.

If I decided just go to with the flight companies would it be cheaper? Or is it really dodgy to do it this way?

Thanks,
.xx
Old Dec 30th 2009, 1:08 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ayrria
That is so much cheaper! When I was looking at this £2000 figure I was thinking 'oh god how long will it take me to save that much on top of everything else!' But £400 is much more reasonable.

I don't need a pet passport as we are going one way. But I might get one just incase. I was told all the things I need to get done prior to the flight and departure is best to space it out and save £200. That includes all the paperwork.

If I decided just go to with the flight companies would it be cheaper? Or is it really dodgy to do it this way?

Thanks,
.xx
Peace of mind is priceless. If I ever get to go back, Suzy will be chaperoned by the professionals.
Old Dec 30th 2009, 1:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dunroving
Peace of mind is priceless. If I ever get to go back, Suzy will be chaperoned by the professionals.
Do they treat the cats poorly or something?? £400 for the second one seemed reasonable.
Old Dec 30th 2009, 4:48 am

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure what you mean by flight companies. Nothing seemed dodgy with Pet Exports UK; they are based at Heathrow and were able to give me contact details for their agents at Heathrow, their agents at Seattle, and a previous satisfied customer before I signed up with them. They were able to confirm that there'd be space on a particular flight before I bought the tickets for anyone (including myself and DH), thereby guaranteeing that we'd all be on the same flight. Their rep met us at the World Cargo area at Heathrow and took the cat away in his carrier. When we got him back on the other end he was in good condition, with loads of paperwork stuck all over the carrier and a funnel attached to his water bowl, it was clear that they had given him water during the trip.

I also recommend getting some absorbent carrier liners called Dryfur, but you have to order them from the US as they are not carried in the UK. They are like big flat sanitary pads for animal cages. Elbie (the cat) ended up going to the toilet in his cage - I can't blame him, it was 18 hours he was in there - and while there was an odor, he himself was not wet. Dryfur pads come in different color coded sizes and the blue ones fit the Small Vari Kennel very well.
Old Dec 30th 2009, 6:15 am
Forum Regular

Never mind, I was just wondering because it seemed lots of people pay relocation companies. I got a quote from the company you surgested and they are very reasonable. The most I'd have to pay would be £540 at the moment. The only thing is that LHR is further from me as we userally use LGW. But if we can be on the same flight I guess it's not bad. I'll deffinatly look into those pads I've actually seen them over here too I think. But If I can't find them I can always ask my brother in law to send me some for her.

What I meant by treating cats poorly was because the other poster said that he would pay more for his cat to be handeled by professionals and I thought it was fine for them to travel as cargo with the flight companies. It's not too bad actually. It's an 8 hour flight across and then a 2 hour flight down but I think we may have 3 hours inbetween flights.

I'll see how things go, we have a lot of money to save up for our big move so I'm glad to know I can get her over there for under £1000. I just hope she travels ok.
Old Dec 30th 2009, 6:40 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Have a search of the forums, quite a lot of info on going about it.

Some of it is specific to location because of the climate, heat/cold seasons...but most are federal requirements.
Old Dec 30th 2009, 6:50 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
Have a search of the forums, quite a lot of info on going about it.

Some of it is specific to location because of the climate, heat/cold seasons...but most are federal requirements.
Thanks, I read the state requirments already. She has to have her rabies shot and then must have vet clearence no more then 7 days prior to departure I think. I also have to have blood tests done. Apart from that she already meets the min requirements.
Old Dec 30th 2009, 11:52 am

She'll probably do OK. Our poor cat was in his kennel for 18 hours all told. We had to drop him off four hours before our flight, and then the flight was about ten hours, and it took us several hours to get through immigration (activating a visa too), customs, baggage collection, rental car collection, and then to the cargo location to get him, and then another hour of driving after that before a motel. He was thoroughly UNIMPRESSED with us but settled down very quickly after we were able to let him out at the motel. (Though he did hide under the bed when we went to the lobby for breakfast the next morning!)

I had put a towel (smelling like us!) under the dryfur pad, but I recommend just using the dryfur pad, as he'd managed to get the towel out from underneath it and it was all rumpled up in the kennel with him. On the other hand, maybe it gave him something to do...!
Old Dec 30th 2009, 1:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute

I had my cat microchipped and rabies shot, he had to go to the vets get a blood test done to prove the rabies vaccine had taken.

With a certificate in hand for that I bought a soft sided cat carrier and took him on my United Airlines flight from London Heathrow to Chicago. he went into the cabin with me for $250
Old Dec 30th 2009, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

Do they still do that? I'd love for her to come onboard with me when I go. I know most airlines allow for domestic flights but I didn't know they did for international.
Old Dec 30th 2009, 3:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute

Do they still do that? I'd love for her to come onboard with me when I go. I know most airlines allow for domestic flights but I didn't know they did for international.
Yes they do it internationally, United Airlines or i believe Delta do it too, you need to call the airline once you've booked your flight and tell them you wish to bring your kitty on as carry-on. They'll tell you to go get her checked in when you arriv at the airport and you'll have to take her out the carry bag for them to xray it, then they'll take kitty and deliver her to your gate.

Make sure you get a letter from your vet saying she is fit to fly 24 hours before the flight. 48 hours if 24 is not possible. Carry the rabies certificate with you.

Use a softsided carry bag for her as its easier to put under the seat infront of you. The one i used was a little bigger then the sizes the airline had on their website, but they dont tend to mind because its softsided it can squash down a bit under the seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.