Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Has anybody else chosen to delay moving back to UK and how did that work out?

Has anybody else chosen to delay moving back to UK and how did that work out?

Old Jun 16th 2011, 7:53 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anybody else chosen to delay moving back to UK and how did that work out?

Originally Posted by brits1
Yep...we did, it took us about 5 years to finally decide to make the move back (we had already been in Aus for 7 years by then)so after 12 years we are back home and yes in some ways I wish we had done it when we first thought about returning home...we just kept trying to make it work when we were in Aus...then we met someone who said they had been trying to make it work for them for the last 28 years and kept saying they would move back in a year oh so...28 years later they were still in Aus and through ill health and a lack of money and being older they were still wanting to make the move back but now knowing they really could'nt, we did not want that to be us....it was the push (not that we really needed one) at the right time for us....
I so understand about the trying to make it work.....I really want to go back....kids want to go back which I thought was strange as the eldest has just started high school but when he went back at xmas for a holiday he came back adamant that he was going back to live there....hubby well he'd happily stay in Oz.....It'll take us about 18months cause need to do up the house to sell......I'm terrified as the job market for where we want to be and jobs we're in isn't the best.....and not sure if we'll manage to get a mortgage in UK.....BUT! Life is too short and after a recent health scare I think it's time....Just gotta stop trying to tell myself (been doing it for 5 years now) that it will get better and it'll all work out here in Oz.....still not happened!!
Old Jun 16th 2011, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anybody else chosen to delay moving back to UK and how did that work out?

Originally Posted by Stitch
I so understand about the trying to make it work.....I really want to go back....kids want to go back which I thought was strange as the eldest has just started high school but when he went back at xmas for a holiday he came back adamant that he was going back to live there....hubby well he'd happily stay in Oz.....It'll take us about 18months cause need to do up the house to sell......I'm terrified as the job market for where we want to be and jobs we're in isn't the best.....and not sure if we'll manage to get a mortgage in UK.....BUT! Life is too short and after a recent health scare I think it's time....Just gotta stop trying to tell myself (been doing it for 5 years now) that it will get better and it'll all work out here in Oz.....still not happened!!
I know it might sound easy and I know its not but sometimes you really do have to say enough is enough....try not to think too far ahead about certain worries as yet...just come to a time and date when you make your choice and stick with it...then "worry" about things when they come up...and not before...good luck and I know how hard it is living when you feel disconnected to a place etc...I think you can cope with a lot more when you feel you belong etc. All the best and look after yourself...easier said than done when a Mum and Wife...
Old Jun 16th 2011, 9:39 pm
Just Joined

Limeynic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Oh interesting - thanks. I've seen some houses that I'd be willing to do that for too, but my husband is less comfortable with the idea. It's interesting to know that there are agents willing to do it. Like you, we have to have a home when we land as we have 3 pets and I can't impose that on family. Of course they also make renting harder but that's life.
The estate agent was Bridgfords/countrywide. They fid say it was against their usual policy however I asked them to check with the Landlord owner since I was offering 6 months cash in advance to see what his opinion was. It did the trick. He accepted. It's a great house in a nice neighborhood, however even if it wasn't I was ready for some discomfort when moving internationally & even if I disliked the property it's only 6 months & the perks are we have a home to move straight into. Good luck to you guys.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 11:01 pm
Just Joined

Parlay is a name known to allParlay is a name known to allParlay is a name known to allParlay is a name known to allParlay is a name known to allParlay is a name known to allParlay is a name known to allParlay is a name known to allParlay is a name known to allParlay is a name known to allParlay is a name known to all

Originally Posted by CalgaryPete
Just wondering if anybody else, that wanted to move back to the UK, chose to wait for a few years, and how that worked out?

I know there's no right answer of course. Just interested in learning from our different experiences.

Thanks

Calgary Pete ( Lancashire Pete again, some day)
We are waiting to move back. We always knew that once we had a child time would start ticking and if at all possible we would go ahead and move back to the UK (failing that back to Utah where my hubby's family lives) before they started school.

We had our son last year and so now time is ticking down. I think we are looking at late Spring 2014. Hubby recently found an affordable community college recently. So he is going to try and complete an Associates Degree in three years. I had always promised him if there were a way to get him through college we would. If it weren't for that we would be likely be looking to move late 2012 - early 2013.

We recently did 2 trips back close together (Christmas/New Year and May of this year). We had such a wonderful time with my parents and siblings. We are all in just about the right stage of our lives to be close to one another (My SIL had a baby in March, my little sister is in a happy relationship with a good job, my little brother is living it up over in Ireland but MUCH more mature about things than he used to do and he loves his nephews so much).

Ever since then I've been desperate to go. We have a list to work through though and it starts with me getting off my butt and getting my US citizenship so that we never have to go through the nightmare that is US Immigration again. But I am starting to put out feelers for things such as pet transportation (we have a dog and a bird) and what we will need to do for a Spousal Visa.

If it were possible I'd be over there right now.