Reload this Page >

hard of hearing / deaf in the UK

hard of hearing / deaf in the UK

Old Nov 2nd 2014, 7:22 pm
Just Joined

KariH is an unknown quantity at this point
Default hard of hearing / deaf in the UK

Hello everybody,

I wondered if anyone have any information about how life is for hearing impaired and deaf in the UK. I myself have a cochlear implant and a hearing aid,and I am curious about how hard it is for me to get a job, how it is with technical equipment etc. Does anyone have any experience in this matter? Much appreciate any kind of information!

The equipment I have here belongs to Oslo city (where I live) so I have to hand it in when I move out of the country. I don't own anything of it, not even my implant which is owned by the hospital here...
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 2:43 am
Forum Regular

Mary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: hard of hearing / deaf in the UK

Hi KariH
My ex husband is profoundly deaf since early childhood. He does not have a cochlear implant but does have hearing aids. He has always had employment and has never had any problems due to his deafness.

There are many clubs for the hearing impaired, well there were/is in the midlands.

His treatment and assistance from the State has always been good.

One question, if the implant is 'on loan' what happens? do they ask for it back?
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 4:58 am
Just Joined

KariH is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad to hear that your husband have no problems!

No, they would not ask for it back of course. As it is now, the hospital own it and it is insured on the hospital insurance, so if I need a new processor because of something that have happened to this one, I will get a new one without paying anything on my own. If I officially emigrate, I probably have to fill out some papers I suppose and manage my own insurance, that is what I think. Will ask about it next time for a check up.
Old Nov 11th 2014, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

Nabbie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by KariH
Hello everybody,

I wondered if anyone have any information about how life is for hearing impaired and deaf in the UK. I myself have a cochlear implant and a hearing aid,and I am curious about how hard it is for me to get a job, how it is with technical equipment etc. Does anyone have any experience in this matter? Much appreciate any kind of information!

The equipment I have here belongs to Oslo city (where I live) so I have to hand it in when I move out of the country. I don't own anything of it, not even my implant which is owned by the hospital here...
Hello, this is quite a heavy question! In the shortest words, there are both advantages & disadvantages I have been through - I was born deaf & brought up as native British Sign Language but I moved to Phuket, Thailand.

For your circumstance, you may have an advantage if your cochlear implant is successful and you can speak well. Then you should able to get a job easily. For technical equipment, you can request to "Access to Work (ATW)" scheme. Also you should find the deaf/ cochlear implant organisations in UK easily. Wish you good luck.